• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New HGVC resort fee as of 1/16 through RCI

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
hi tuggers

Turns out that hgvc has instituted a new $25 resort fee Pr day for all inbound RCI trades. The fee is in affect as of 16th of January so all confirmed RCI reservations from this date going forward will need to pay.

Hopefully some or most of the money will go toward the owners mf but my suspicion is that hgvc will keep the money for them self’s and use it as a new cash cow.

With an extra expense of $175 for a week hgvc is now in line with Disney but hgvc does not have the same demand as Disney. Wondering is fewer people will exchange into hgvc? If you don’t read the fine print you won’t notice it.

Last edited:

jestme

Reaction score
hi tuggers

Turns out that hgvc has instituted a new $25 resort fee Pr day for all inbound RCI trades. The fee is in affect as of 16th of January so all confirmed RCI reservations from this date going forward will need to pay.

Hopefully some or most of the money will go toward the owners mf but my suspicion is that hgvc will keep the money for them self’s and use it as a new cash cow.

With an extra expensive of $175 for a week hgvc is now in line with Disney but hgvc does not have the same demand as Disney. Wondering is fewer people will exchange into hgvc? If you don’t read the fine print you won’t notice it.
I'm sure it will be the same as "Open Season" money which goes directly to HGVC and none of it goes to the HOA which bears the additional cost for the maid cleaning, electricity, wear and tear, as well as front desk costs. When HGVC tripled the Open Season rates there was 0 positive affect on MF's, and there is no line on their HOA statements for cost recovery for those reservations either.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks for the heads up.
This thread should be in the exchange forum.
This will impact lots of Tuggers who take advantage of the annual HGVC bulk.

Sadly, with various RCI resorts collecting resort fees such Disney, Manhattan Club and
Ka'anapali Beach Club, it was a matter of time.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some 25 or 30 years ago when I bought my first TimeShare Week (Marriott Sable Palms pre construction) and joined RCI things were straight forward. Since then it has been one thing or another always to the detriment of Users or Owners.

George

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It look like the fee may vary based on location. For example the mandatory fee for Hawaii is $35/day and Orlando & Vegas are both $25/day. Was the housekeeping fee always there for RCI Points reservations? There are different housekeeping fees listed for RCI Point reservations for Orlando based on unit size.

97D30A5D-FA41-4207-AAC0-420BEBE15CBE.png

9B7A717D-DCEC-43F1-AAA9-6932E85CF53F.png

045BC661-07E3-49AB-AA88-11794C07B3B8.png

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is sad news indeed. :( I hate these additional fees, and try to avoid resorts that have them. I really didn't expect Hilton to do this. I wonder who will be next?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
The RCI Points housekeeping fee for New York and Washington DC.
  • $40 per stay in a studio at Hilton Club (NY) for less than 7 nights. (UPDATE: No change. I found the same rate quoted on my 2017 RCI Confirmation)
  • $90 per stay in a studio at West 57th (NY) for less than 7 nights. (UPDATE: The rate has increased by $5 based on my 2017 RCI Confirmation)
  • $117 per stay in a one bedroom at West 57th (NY) for less than 7 nights.
  • $75 per stay in a one bedroom at the District (DC) for less than 7 nights.
  • $120 per stay in a two bedroom at the District (DC) for less than 7 nights.

1B1EBCB7-A4AE-487F-A6CA-9DEA77F5FC00.png

0D74A35A-C926-4C5A-85E8-CC12AEE28281.png

12DC7ACC-D702-4CE1-A78B-77AE8D20BC64.png

Last edited:

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.

Your are right. Maybe we can get GT75 to move it.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is sad news indeed. :( I hate these additional fees, and try to avoid resorts that have them. I really didn't expect Hilton to do this. I wonder who will be next?

This can go two ways. Either people don’t care and pay the fees and inventory will continue to be some what limited. Or fewer people will exchange in and HGVC won’t make that much money of the new resort fees. On top of that hgvc will have less “new blood” to invite for presentations etc. If it’s the last option hgvc could remove it again as I guess at least some people accept the invite to the presentations.

Or they could eventually give people the option of attending the presentation and get the resort fees waived.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Will this affect the resorts on Marco island, which are Hilton affiliated?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a bummer. Probably will still plan on exchanging in to the HI resorts, but my previous plan of exchanging into HGVC Seaworld will get changed.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Yet if you are trying to save a bunch of HGVC points and trade in vs exchange in, it may still make the point saving a good deal.

I would have to consider it on a case by case basis. Any chance of getting the fee waived if you are an HGVC member, I doubt it.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Just looked up eagles nest and that resort does not have the resort fees listed.....,yet.
I would be ok paying the $25 a day in Marco Island, but not happy. For Orlando I am not ok, won’t trade in. At least if the affiliates charged it, it would go to the owners towards maintenance. The affiliates will probably follow.

Really hate these fees. Between trade fee and resort fees a trade is over $400 in addition to Mf. Just confirms my mindset buy where and when you want to go.

K2Quick

TUG Member
Reaction score
This kind of makes up my mind whether to renew with RCI when my membership is up later this year. I've only traded a couple times in the four years I've been a member. With exchange fees, membership fees, and this new resort fee, I'd be paying over $500 in fees on top of the maintenance fees of the unit I'm surrendering. I think I'd prefer the flexibility and increased inventory of something like VRBO over that. Goodbye RCI.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does II allow resorts to charge these fees? At one point, I didn't think they did, nor did SFX.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
One more reason why we’ve been staying within the systems we own, or stay at the resorts we own that are not in a system. Membership fee’s, exchange fee’s, upgrade fee’s combined with maintence fee’s are making timeshare exchanging too expensive. We’ve shed three timeshares and after this year we’ll see if we can get rid of one more.

Pardytime

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, Wyndham
This can go two ways. Either people don’t care and pay the fees and inventory will continue to be some what limited. Or fewer people will exchange in and HGVC won’t make that much money of the new resort fees. On top of that hgvc will have less “new blood” to invite for presentations etc. If it’s the last option hgvc could remove it again as I guess at least some people accept the invite to the presentations.

Or they could eventually give people the option of attending the presentation and get the resort fees waived.

We usually have a group gathering in Vegas for a week, once per year. In making our plans last week, for this year's gathering, the new Resort Fee tipped the balance of us all exchanging into HGVC. This year we will be staying at the Wyndham Grand Desert. But, I really don't think they will miss us. They can rent these rooms directly to the public, who would have to pay resort fees at most hotels in the Strip area anyway.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up.

Disagree. I never visit the exchange forum, so I would have missed it there. But as a member of HGVC who may occasionally trade via RCI, I'm very much interested in this thread.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Anyone know if this affects those who had existing confirmed exchanges into one of the HGVC properties? We have an upcoming stay into Kohala Suites later this spring. The fees are showing up on my exchange on the RCI website but were not there when I booked.

I certainly don't like the resort fees but I feel that as long as I have a choice to accept the exchange or decline based upon the resort fees, I am ok. This is the second time that resort fees have been added to an existing RCI exchange. That I am not happy about. It is just wrong.

Gah. I hate RCI.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
This kind of makes up my mind whether to renew with RCI when my membership is up later this year... Goodbye RCI.
There are plenty of good reasons to let an RCI member expire. But this one is on HGVC, not really on RCI IMO. It's good to know which resorts are changing these added mandatory fees and just avoid exchanging into those RESORTS whose fees are too high for value received, compared with local alternatives.

In making our plans last week, for this year's gathering, the new Resort Fee tipped the balance of us all exchanging into HGVC. This year we will be staying at the Wyndham Grand Desert.
I'm sure you'll still have a great trip. This is such a shame though. We really like the HGVC properties, but there are too many nice alternatives in most of their destinations to warrant paying this fee, as an exchanger. It reflects the greed of the company and discourages me from considering a purchase in the future, either.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Anyone know if this affects those who had existing confirmed exchanges into one of the HGVC properties? We have an upcoming stay into Kohala Suites later this spring. The fees are showing up on my exchange on the RCI website but were not there when I booked.
Do you have your confirmation email? It should list any mandatory fees. Print it out and bring it to check-in. It was under those conditions that you confirmed the exchange. You should not be held liable for newly-instituted fees.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score

Gah. I hate RCI.

To the best of my knowledge the resort fees will only apply to reservations made after the 16th of January. Those reservations made prior to the 16th will not be impacted.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some but not all in Hawaii indicate only for new reservations:
Daily usage fee is $35.00 U.S. dollars. Cash or Credit is accepted. Fee plus tax, effective for any new reservations made after January 16, 2018.

Lagoon, Kalia, GW, GI, Kohala, KL, all at $35 per day. Hokulani $30.

Bit more under details on what the fee includes (for GI):
Daily Resort Charge of $35.00 U.S. dollars plus tax, will be added at check in and includes: Internet access; PS3 w/ games & movies; cultural activities; movies at sundown; exercise classes; custom postcard; 2 bottled waters daily; 20% off afternoon sail; 10% off or 1 cat upgrade on 2-day car rental; local/toll-free calls. Charges effective January 17, 2018.

Somewhat odd to me they didn't have different price points based on unit size.

I certainly don't like the resort fees but I feel that as long as I have a choice to accept the exchange or decline based upon the resort fees, I am ok. This is the second time that resort fees have been added to an existing RCI exchange. That I am not happy about. It is just wrong.

Gah. I hate RCI.