• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

new HGVC owner here!

aavila

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

We received notice that the deed was recorded so now we are just waiting for HGVC to have us in their system. My family and wife are so excited to vacation with our three girls. As I keeping reading in this forum, this is an investment in family time/vacation time and not a financial one.

So what did I purchase? I purchased a 5800 points, 2-bedroom at the strip for $3000. We went for the Strip because of its low MFs. Since we are not tied to a school schedule now or for the foreseeable future, we figure we can trade during non-peak seasons. As the girls are young, we plan mostly to use it in Carlsbad since we are only a hours drive from it. But as they get get older branch out to the other locations.

I just wanted to thank this site. There is just so much knowledge and experience here that it made me feel comfortable as I went through the resale process. I feel like I already know the HGVC system just from this site and reading the members guide.

Thanks again.

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll dig up my Carlsbad (Marbrisa) notes and send them to you. If you're staying there you need to pay close attention to the room type/codes so you get a room in the building you want. If you look at the Marbrisa review I wrote recently you can see that there really are 2 sides of the resort and they don't make it easy to know which side you're booking.

Since you asked I'll give you my opinion on what you bought - you didn't get enough points. You have a family of 5 which means you need a 2BR if you're going to stay anywhere for more than a night or two. Some 1BR's won't even legally allow for occupancy over 4. But more importantly, you won't be comfortable with 5 people in a 1BR, 1 bath for a week. You'll be able to get a 2BR in non-platinum seasons but not in the peak seasons. You did, however, nail it by buying at the Strip since it's the lowest MF possible right now. I would have paid another $2,500 and gotten the platinum $7K unit, however, so you'd have more options with more space for you and your family.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Welcome to the HGVC club, we have been owners since 2001, enjoyed many wonderful vacations and memories.

Sent from my iPad Mini 4 using Tapatalk

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG...another resale owner!!!

Jodi0415

TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome!!

I'm new too!! Just closed 2 days ago and already booked a vacay! Very excited and grateful to have found Tug!!

A fix for a point deficit is to borrow points!! There's no fee! (Yet!) That means you can actually use 7000 points for a platinum reservation!!

Congratulations!!!

Last edited:

aavila

TUG Member
Reaction score
You'll be able to get a 2BR in non-platinum seasons but not in the peak seasons. You did, however, nail it by buying at the Strip since it's the lowest MF possible right now. I would have paid another $2,500 and gotten the platinum $7K unit, however, so you'd have more options with more space for you and your family.

That's the thing, we don't need to travel during peak seasons or even on weekends. We home school our oldest now and plan to do the same for the younger two, so we won't be tied down to school schedules for the foreseeable future. Right now we do not even plan to travel for full weeks yet. We figure we can do smaller trips until their ready for the full week. If we need a platinum 2 bedroom, I figure we can borrow 1200 pts and still have some leftover for the following year.

Our situation and needs could change of course but we will cross that bridge when needed

weems637

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton HGVC Tuscany
Hurricane House in Sanibel Island (managed by Hilton
Wyndham Cypress Palms
Wyndham Glades
Club Wyndham Access
Always good to know your individual needs before buying. Sounds like you have a plan. Now, just stay out of the "Update meetings"!

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now, just stay out of the "Update meetings"!
While I've always shared that opinion, I really liked Brian's recent post about if they won't take no for an answer, go ahead and go and take all the prizes.

With that said, HGVC is one that has never offered me anything for free. They've always wanted me to pay for discounts. I'll never pay them to make me sit through a sales presentation.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I screen out calls from HGVC which invariably are invites from Sales for "owners updates."

I was offered $125 to do an "owner's update" at a non-HGVC TS recently. My attitude:
I am not on vacation to get my ears boxed, no matter how much they leave on the nightstand.