• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New-- help with my purchase .. very confused

Frostymom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
We bought this point system at Gatlinburg while on spring break --
Could someone please explain the reservation Terms ?? Can I only make reservations during a 10 month period?? I'm totally confused??
I really want to use the RCI properties for Hawaii.. will I be able to use my 274,000 points?? To book this??
Also I wanted to maybe use points to book our flights?? How do I do this ?? How many points do u uses?? At the presentation .. they showed me a sheet that said .. round trip for 1 person is 42,000 points??
I was really wanting to use points for my flights..
Also when do U get more points ?? When will I get the 126,000 points?? And can I combine those with my existing 274,000??
Thanks so much .. I'm really confused about this after reading this forum !!

We purchased 126k points today with Club Wyndham Plus along with Plus partners, RCI, Club pass and 1 year price lock.

Also got 274,000bonus points good for 2 years.

Retail was 31,600 and got it for $18,688

The yearly maintenance fees are $761 including Club Wyndham Plus program fees.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You can get what you bought for much, much less! You should rescind this purchase then study Wyndhams system and buy resale. But for starters, using timeshare points for air is not a good deal. And you paid WAAAY too much. Look in your contract, toward the end for instructions on rescinding, and follow them.

Welcome to TUG.

Jim

nicemann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hopefully it is within the time to rescind. You don't want to use your points for flights. It's not worth the MFs. Do your research and see if Wyndham is something you really want. If after you spend the time researching you do want it, buy resell.

If it is past the rescind time, sorry they got you. We are hear to help answer questions but want you look at how to get out of it first.

Frostymom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
You can get what you bought for much, much less! You should rescind this purchase then study Wyndhams system and buy resale. But for starters, using timeshare points for air is not a good deal. And you paid WAAAY too much. Look in your contract, toward the end for instructions on rescinding, and follow them.

Welcome to TUG.

Jim

Welcome to TUG.

Jim

I really don't want to rescind .. I get the paid too much .. stuff .. but I just want to keep
It ., I pretty much paid 80% off already.. I just want to understand how to use the points ..

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could someone please explain the reservation Terms ?? Can I only make reservations during a 10 month period?? I'm totally confused??
I really want to use the RCI properties for Hawaii.. will I be able to use my 274,000 points?? To book this??
Also I wanted to maybe use points to book our flights?? How do I do this ?? How many points do u uses?? At the presentation .. they showed me a sheet that said .. round trip for 1 person is 42,000 points??
Also when do U get more points ?? When will I get the 126,000 points?? And can I combine those with my existing 274,000??

We purchased 126k points today with Club Wyndham Plus along with Plus partners, RCI, Club pass and 1 year price lock.

Ok for starters, Wyndham Points are better used for Wyndham Properties than rci, I just used rci in grand cayman last week because Wyndham doesn't go there.

Second, you are about to be bombarded by people on Tug telling you to rescind. Which you should immediately. All you need to do is check EBay under search "Wyndham timeshare points for sale" and you will see that 126K points go for a dollar to a couple of hundred plus $600 or so closing. I have 817k points for a total of about three thousand all in, and the points work just like the ones you bought with some puddling exceptions.

Don't wait rescind now and do it in certified mail and every other form

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I really don't want to rescind .. I get the paid too much .. stuff .. but I just want to keep
It ., I pretty much paid 80% off already.. I just want to understand how to use the points ..
You may not want to rescind, but you should. Listen to the advice you've been given. You can find what you overpaid for, at a lesser amount. But, if you're okay with spending what you did, then fine.

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score

Not to beat a dead horse but what others are trying to say is if you paid $18,600 you didn't pay a little too much, you paid $18,000 too much. Wyndham is a great system with great properties, but with $18k you could buy twice the points and pay maintenance fees with the savings for the next 15 years.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score

you

Enjoy what you purchased. I cannot help but note that a number of posters on TUG that are VIPs give different advise on direct purchase. A number are in the timeshare re-sale business.

To determine if you want to use points for airfare, car rentals, ect. See what specials are available from other sources then go from their. I would suggest you use the points for vacations.

Your next annual set of points is probably January 1, 2018. I am assuming that it is a Jan - Dec use year since it is considered a new developer purchase for VIP purposes.

You can credit pool this year's points. It costs 39 dollars.

If you are thinking of using RCI for a trade, you cannot use credit pool points for this. Points, at some point, would need to go to RCI for the booking. They have to be regular use year points. Believe this year plus the next 2 years can be used for this purpose. Others may want to clarify as I am not a big RCI user.

If you bought a CWA contract, you can use ARP, regular use year points for all CWA resorts based on availability. If it a deeded resort, you can use regular year points at the resort the deed is at.

Enjoy what you own and do not let others make you feel guilty.

Frostymom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Ok for starters, Wyndham Points are better used for Wyndham Properties than rci, I just used rci in grand cayman last week because Wyndham doesn't go there.

Second, you are about to be bombarded by people on Tug telling you to rescind. Which you should immediately. All you need to do is check EBay under search "Wyndham timeshare points for sale" and you will see that 126K points go for a dollar to a couple of hundred plus $600 or so closing. I have 817k points for a total of about three thousand all in, and the points work just like the ones you bought with some puddling exceptions.

Don't wait rescind now and do it in certified mail and every other form
If u do it that way.. then I would just pay for the points I want and not automatically get the points every year?? Also ..do u still pay the annual fee??

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
you

Enjoy what you purchased. I cannot help but note that a number of posters on TUG that are VIPs give different advise on direct purchase. A number are in the timeshare re-sale business.

To determine if you want to use points for airfare, car rentals, ect. See what specials are available from other sources then go from their. I would suggest you use the points for vacations.

Your next annual set of points is probably January 1, 2018. I am assuming that it is a Jan - Dec use year since it is considered a new developer purchase for VIP purposes.

If you are thinking of using RCI for a trade, you cannot use credit pool points for this. Points, at some point, would need to go to RCI for the booking. They have to be regular use year points. Believe this year plus the next 2 years can be used for this purpose. Others may want to clarify as I am not a big RCI user.

If you bought a CWA contract, you can use ARP, regular use year points for all CWA resorts based on availability. If it a deeded resort, you can use regular year points at the resort the deed is at.

Indeed, I don't want to be "that" guy that harps. It is clear from the initial post that the rather overwhelming nature of the complex timeshare system is confusing and he is trying to get the basic rules down.

That said I think it is good advice to check the advice articles on Tug and price on EBay and go back and look at the purchase with full understanding of what the system does, whether it is worth the 95% markup to by retail or not. Someone has to buy retail.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Rescind and do it NOW! When you learn enough to know what you are doing you will hate yourself for being stupid if don't. Sorry to be so harsh but that is the honest truth and you DID NOT even get a good deal. Do know enough to understand that you could easily buy several million points resale for less than the $18688 you paid? 126k points isn't even going to get you a full week at at lot of resorts. Unless you are planning down the road to sink something like $100k if not more into buying Wyndham developer points so you can attain at least a gold level VIP status there is absolutely NO BENEFIT to buying directly from Wyndham vs resale. And those VIP benefits will NEVER pay for themselves. Even if you decided to never buy any Wyndham points and were to rent stays here on TUG or on eBay, Redweek or Craigslist you would still be far better off moneywise than buying direct from Wyndham.

We are platinum Presidential Reserve owners, I know exactly what I'm talking about so am not just speculating or offering an opinion.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The sales staff flat out conned YOU and are skin-ing you for $18,000 of your hard earned dollars.

Booking airfare is NOT cheap or smart. I own well over a 1,500,000 Wyndham points... paid less than $3000 almost all off the Wyndham points off of eBay. And would never consider their airfare deals as even a break even options ... it is very poor math & not even close to a real deal.

You are in the rescind window of time ... you MUST cancel this purchase and Wyndham must give you back EVERY PENNY you paid them for their points. This is called a 'cooling off' period ... esp if you just brought these points today.

And if you decide next month or 6 months from now, the same deal or a BETTER deal, will be put in the table by them for you to buy. But to rescind THIS DEAL, the clock is ticking and the rescind window will close. And then, their commission sales staff will get paid .. that is right, the sales staff ONLY gets paid if they can convince you to buy a product which eBay ... a fair and balanced market ... has priced at thousand and thousand of dollars less.

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why ?? I am more confused ??
Rescind and do it NOW! When you learn enough to know what you are doing you will hate yourself for being stupid if don't. Sorry to be so harsh but that is the honest truth and you DID NOT even get a good deal. Do know enough to understand that you could easily buy several million points resale for less than the $18688 you paid? 126k points isn't even going to get you a full week at at lot of resorts. Unless you are planning down the road to sink something like $100k if not more into buying Wyndham developer points so you can attain at least a gold level VIP status there is absolutely NO BENEFIT to buying directly from Wyndham vs resale. And those VIP benefits will NEVER pay for themselves. Even if you decided to never buy any Wyndham points and were to rent stays here on TUG or on eBay, Redweek or Craigslist you would still be far better off moneywise than buying direct from Wyndham.

That was much blunter than me, but totally correct. I bought my first timeshare a Disney Vacation Club retail, and thought I was a genius because I got it at 50% to the developer.....then I found Wyndham where resale is had for 3 cents on dollar....folks give them away on Tug.

Recind. Take a leap of faith that hundreds of Tuggers who have millions of points over decades aren't lying to you for fun...you will love yourself later.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
On other threads we've all seen and some of us responded to other people got/were offered 154k points for $13k so no you didn't even get a good deal. Yes you buy a resale contract for x number of points, you get those points annually, unless you are buying an EOY (every other year) contract and you pay your maintenance fees on the number of points you own. You will have an RCI account and can do everything you want to do with resale points that you could do with directly bought points. There is absolutely no advantage to you from buying directly vs resale. And I do believe unless they changed the bonus point program you are paying the maintenance fees on those bonus points so they aren't really free. Using points to pay for airfares, rental cars, etc. is a horrible value/use of points.

Small contracts like 126k or 154K are often given away here on TUG and sometimes the seller even pays the closing costs. On eBay you can often get them for under $200.

Last edited:

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is absolutely no reason to buy from Wyndham. UNLESS you are 100 percent committed to becoming Gold or Platinum VIP. Even then take your time and learn other ways of obtaining points that count towards VIP levels.

You should rescind and buy resale to learn the system. You only have 1 chance to rescind and the rest of your life to go back and purchase from Wyndham directly.

Wyndham does have great resorts and system.

I do have resale and Wyndham purchased points. I have never rented or sold points.

Frostymom

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Indeed, I don't want to be "that" guy that harps. It is clear from the initial post that the rather overwhelming nature of the complex timeshare system is confusing and he is trying to get the basic rules down.

That said I think it is good advice to check the advice articles on Tug and price on EBay and go back and look at the purchase with full understanding of what the system does, whether it is worth the 95% markup to by retail or not. Someone has to buy retail.
On eBay I've seen points to only certain resorts ?? Do u just buy points for that 1 resort or can u use those points for other resorts??

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You may or may not be in your rescind period. When was your spring break- when did you buy? If you are past the rescind period than don't worry about it. I think you would be lucky to get one $800 air ticket using all 274,000 bonus points if you can even use bonus points for air tickets. You would probably do better and find more availablility than going through RCI for Hawaii. Don't forget you need to pay a $230 exchange fee for rci exchanges in addition to the points. If you are looking at the Hilton properties in Hawaii they do bulk bank in RCI but not all properties and dates and sizes and they do so early and you might be too late for this year or next.

Joe33426

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
On eBay I've seen points to only certain resorts ?? Do u just buy points for that 1 resort or can u use those points for other resorts??

The points at a particular resort you're seeing on e-bay are good at all of the resorts at 10-months. For example, if the points are for Smokey Mountains, you can start making reservations at that resort 13 months prior to check-in. At 10 months, points are points.

There are CWA points that are good for advanced reservations at 13 months at most resorts, but that's a whole other discussion. What you need to do now is rescind that Developer purchase and learn about what you're actually purchasing.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Points you buy at resale are exactly the same and have exactly the same benefits as points you buy from Wyndham. Same annual fee too. And they recur just like the developer points. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE EXCEPT THE COST! Please rescind.

Karen O

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Massanutten, Disney
Are bonus points like bonus weeks, I am a week's owner and bonus week's for travel between 2-45 days are pretty useless, with extremely limited places you can go. I went to a presentation recently and thought that the bonus points they were offering were in addition to the 105,000 regular points.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
If u do it that way.. then I would just pay for the points I want and not automatically get the points every year?? Also ..do u still pay the annual fee??
Resale points do automatically renew every year and you have MFs just like the contract you bought but slightly less. Because the program fee is less. It's .55 instead of .57 on direct purchase. Make sure you are buying a contract that is annual not even or odd years. At 10 months points are points and can be used at any Wyndham Club Plus Resort

Railman83

TUG Member
Reaction score
You buy for one resort and can use for all. The only difference is the home resort you can make reservations 13 months out as opposed to 10 months out.

The big diff between resorts is the mfs which are listed on ad. The really low ones go for a bit more as they are cheaper over long run.

At 10 months points are points

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
you

Robert... You MUST be working for the developer as a Wyndham salesman! Or are you trying to convince yourself that the $100,000 you spent on Wyndham points was not foolish! This is way beyond your normal pom-pom cheering ... this is outright bull excrement.

Frostymom ... Wyndham has been changing the rules and will continue to decrease options ... making many owners very unhappy ... thus, the price of Wyndham points on the resale market is sinking. The options (like booking airfare and hotels) are very inefficient usage of points (aka not worth the cost of MFs of the points). With a resale purchase, you can book all the resorts and use the ARP rights of your deeds. The front desk and resort staff will treat you the SAME as any other owner onsite ... you get the same units and float in the same pools. You will not get VIP benefits of some points discounts and unit upgrades ... but take the $100,000 you did NOT GIVE to Wyndham and figure out, that a 3% interest off the $100,000 is $3,000 yearly will pay for ALL the benefits of NOT being a "temporary VIP". The only Wyndham people who will NOT BE NICE to you is the sales staff ... because you are NOT GIVING them YOUR dollars.\\

Rescind this recent purchase ... read and learn more here. You only get a limited window of time to rescind.