• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

OLD/Closed General Discussion Thread: C-19/Hawaii. Will Hawaii re-open Oct. 15th? (+ NEW POLL)

When do you think Hawaii will re-open? (End 14 day quarantine.)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Hmmm - good question. If they are outdoors and socially distancing it should be fine, but not sure exactly how it would work out. In the same vein, how will they keep locals off resort property?

That's a good question. From what I've read, the resort would be responsible for ensuring the bubble's integrity. I can't imagine the number of additional employees it would take to police this.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I agree with you for two reasons:

One is that Thanksgiving is not a big deal in Hawaii. The Holiday is only a few days off for working people and schools. The Christmas/New Years is a Holiday season and is a big deal and a long enough vacation to make the trip. It is also a gift giving and gift buying Holiday.

Two the Hilton Hawaiian Village, the largest resort in Hawaii, has moved back its reservation taking until December 1. They may or may not know something that we don't, or perhaps they are actually involved somewhat in the decision making. The Hilton Hawaiian Village runs a number of special events in Honolulu for Tourists as well as Locals such as the Friday Fireworks, the Duke's Challenge, some Hawaiian Contests like Queen Narcissis as well as loads of Conferences and Conventions they are a main economic driver with over 10,000 rooms and obviously many jobs that are now gone.
I read somewhere today one of the Mayors or similar made a comment about knowing their plans but still working with or checking with businesses. Made me think that they are consulting hotels and others behind the scenes. So. as big as HHV is, they may well know something.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Isn't the whole point to keep toursists in isolation so they don't infect the local population? One would think they would need to prevent locals from coming into the bubble - no? :ponder:
It's like a Leper Colony. Locals will stay away from people quarantining. :oops:

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
For the past decade we’ve taken an average of 2+ trips to the Hawaiian Islands each year. So much of what we love is predicated on freedom to roam the islands freely so I can’t imagine returning to a resort bubble scenario. Certainly the price premium over other tropical destinations would become much slimmer from a value perspective.

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I guessed January, only because, well, absolutely no real reason. I'm wondering if they might avoid December, only because it does draw so many people in for the holidays.

I'm really hoping they require negative tests to get on the airplane, as that to me is the riskiest part of travel. I know the airlines are working on solution, just would like some reassurance. Yes, I realize that people could turn positive after they take the tests, but I know I'd be more cautious for two weeks before getting the test, knowing I might lose out on a trip.

I'm also fine with the idea of a resort bubble. I just want to go.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
It's like a Leper Colony. Locals will stay away from people quarantining. :oops:
Maybe we can rename Ka'anapali to Kalaupapa to confuse the locals ;)

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure they would. Look at how many people are mingling now without a care in the world. I'm not sure Hawaii would be any different but maybe.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Phewww
The Dave’s didn’t make the server list for trying to humor themselves thru the pandemic. :wall:

We are crossing our fingers as I am making reservations for mid May honeymoon for my son.
Want Maui for a week than Honolulu for a week. Actually booked 11 nights in Maui in case they can’t island hop. Put in a search thru RCI to land something In Honolulu the next week. Can just leave a little early to make both work depending on what I find.
Also thinking ahead to go to Maui first because you can fly to Honolulu now from other islands but not vise-a-versa.
I picked Feb because as it gets cold and we spend more time indoors. Praying for a vaccine.
Dave

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I cast my vote for after February 2021 because I can't help but wonder if the government isn't trying to get through the worst of it before they allow visitors back in. It will further decimate the economy but perhaps they feel human life is more valuable and will figure out how to deal with the economy later. I don't know - it's a crapshoot.

I personally would go if there was a resort bubble and have no problem letting them put a tracking device on me. I'm not sure where the harm in that would be if I was planning on doing what I was supposed to be doing. But, everyone is different.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Does anyone know if resort bubble includes the beach directly in front of the hotel?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Praying for a vaccine.
Probably another thread, or survey, but it begs the question -- how quickly are you willing to line up for a vaccine?

Myself, putting all politics aside (though politics makes it worse), I'm in no hurry to be at the front of the line for ANY new vaccine. Let me see at least 6 months and 20 million people first. Our bodies are each so unique in the biochemistry and immunological details, I'm not ready to conclude that just because 30,000 people were okay, it's safe and effective. I'd rather stay 6 feet apart and wear a mask for a while before putting new mRNA technology in me.

From a technical standpoint, the idea of mRNA (which is good, but has not yet been successfully used in any vaccine) is that mRNA forms the basis for creating a small part of the virus (in this case the "corona" or spikes), which itself cannot do anything (it has none of the virus DNA/RNA) but the body recognizes as a foreign object and creates antibodies and T cells to attack that part. Then when the virus comes along those immune particles are already there and they attack the virus because it contains the spike.

Lots of things that could go wrong there. The shorter the RNA/DNA the more likely it is to be similar to a part we actually need in our body, for instance. Don't want to create an auto-immune storm. Or might the virus rather enjoy that the mRNA is already there and be able to replicate better and faster?

I want a vaccine. I want lots of others to give it a try first.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Mixed but mostly unchanged case data today. Cases up slightly to 102. First daily increase in a while and may reflect some Labor Day weekend coming through. ICU up from 53 to 60.

No material impact on the 7-day moving average which is at 118.4. 7-day positive test rate dropped slightly to 2.1%, which is still very good and well below the Federal guideline of 5%.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
The big question though is Is this written in stone or is it subject to change pending a possible, unforeseen outbreak?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
The big question though is Is this written in stone or is it subject to change pending a possible, unforeseen outbreak?
The way things have been going, it will most likely change

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
In a very Ige-esque style, details to follow.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
I read somewhere today one of the Mayors or similar made a comment about knowing their plans but still working with or checking with businesses. Made me think that they are consulting hotels and others behind the scenes. So. as big as HHV is, they may well know something.

Well if the Governor actually makes the commitment to October 15th then perhaps the HHV didn't know anything. Now for your reservation and the HHV opening. I wonder if the HHV will change gears and open by October 15th and therefore, make it possible for you to make your trip. I know from experience working in large organizations even though it may be quite a challenge if the chief executive of the organization says we are going to do something and there will be no holds barred to accomplishing it, it can and will happen. You work as many hours a day 7 days a week if necessary and spend whatever is needed on supplies, equipment, and contractors rather than getting the best price. But you open. I know I have be part of teams that have done it and it can happen.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Well if the Governor actually makes the commitment to October 15th then perhaps the HHV didn't know anything. Now for your reservation and the HHV opening. I wonder if the HHV will change gears and open by October 15th and therefore, make it possible for you to make your trip. I know from experience working in large organizations even though it may be quite a challenge if the chief executive of the organization says we are going to do something and there will be no holds barred to accomplishing it, it can and will happen. You work as many hours a day 7 days a week if necessary and spend whatever is needed on supplies, equipment, and contractors rather than getting the best price. But you open. I know I have be part of teams that have done it and it can happen.
It’s a big facility. They may have concern that they’ll commit to Oct 15 only to have a spike and pow, another delay. Seems sticking with Dec 1 may be prudent on their part especially since there won’t likely be a RUSH on Oct. 16.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Post #40 was in very Danny-esque style...

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
It’s a big facility. They may have concern that they’ll commit to Oct 15 only to have a spike and pow, another delay. Seems sticking with Dec 1 may be prudent on their part especially since there won’t likely be a RUSH on Oct. 16.
I agree. Everything is a bit circular here. Hotels don’t want to open until they know there will be travellers. Airlines don’t want to fly empty planes. Travellers don’t want to travel until they know there will be flights, accommodations, and no quarantine.

It’s extremely easy to turn something off. Much harder to get it started again.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The October 15 date, while a positive move, actually sorta makes our decision on what to do with our January 2021 reservations on Maui, Kauai, and Waikoloa even tougher. The "Plan B" we had developed was to delay our trip to October 2021 if Hawaii didn't reopen soon. We have to cancel our two deeded Marriott weeks outside of 60 days to rebook our owned week (meaning we have to cancel the January 23 check in by around November 23), but to be sure of getting a replacement reservation in October 2021, we really need to make the cancel call sometime in October 2020, so we can be ready to book when the 12 month reservation window opens for Oct '21.

So, do we roll the dice, keep our January reservations, and hope that the Oct 15, 2020 reopening sticks, and isn't reversed if things surge again before January? Or do we play it safe, go ahead and cancel our January reservation next month and re-book for Oct 2021?

Had Hawaii decided to delay once again to Nov 1 or Dec 1, the continued uncertainty would have made the cancel/rebook decision somewhat easier. Now, there is a least positive progress, which makes rolling the dice and keeping the reservations a somewhat more tempting option, but we still don't know what the future will look like. Arghh! :wall::wall:

I think I am probably still leaning toward cancellation and rebooking, since it would not surprise me in the least if Ige changed course again in November or December, given the starts and stops so far. Makes it very difficult to plan with confidence, and I can imagine the frustration of the Hawaiian businesses as well, since they have work to do to get ready to accept guests. I suspect they are having the same discussions in their management meetings. Will this stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.