• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Entry Rules for Canada to be announced

Keata

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
Palm Beach Shores Singer Island FL
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada is going to ease entry for fully vaccinated international travelers starting on March 1 as COVID-19 cases decline, allowing a rapid antigen test for fully vaccinated travelers instead of a molecular one, a government source said.

The new measures, which include dropping compulsory testing on entry, are due to be announced later on Tuesday. Canada will also drop testing requirements for fully vaccinated Canadians who make short trips - less than 72 hours - abroad, the source said.

The global travel advisory for Canadians is also being changed. Previously the government recommended against all non-essential travel, and now it is only urging citizens to take precautions.

Keata

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canada is going to ease entry for fully vaccinated international travelers starting on March 1 as COVID-19 cases decline, allowing a rapid antigen test for fully vaccinated travelers instead of a molecular one, a government source said.

The new measures, which include dropping compulsory testing on entry, are due to be announced later on Tuesday. Canada will also drop testing requirements for fully vaccinated Canadians who make short trips - less than 72 hours - abroad, the source said.

The global travel advisory for Canadians is also being changed. Previously the government recommended against all non-essential travel, and now it is only urging citizens to take precautions.

Didn't refresh my feed and see that this was already posted! Sorry

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
Wonder how this will affect one-way cruises from Alaska to Vancouver...
And wonder how my DH and I will be affected flying into YVR, driving from there to a Birch Bay WA timeshare for a week, returning to Vancouver and going from there to the Canadian Rockies. Don't suppose a self-administered test would suffice, but perhaps the video monitored one would. Most problematic would be having to find 2 or more in-person test site. PITA.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
The devil is in the details. Very little is changed, PCR is not required but a rapid test will be...but this test must be administered by a health authority, not a take at home kind. Airports will still have what is called random testing...FYI at least 50% of our plane was randomly selected added to a lone of about 3to400 people...hours later...and there is NO automatic requirement to isolate. My take it is all about supporting the propaganda of the goverment. I'd be glad to post those details...

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Very little is changed, PCR is not required but a rapid test will be...but this test must be administered by a health authority, not a take at home kind.

No country has allowed SELF Testing with no proctoring, but there are many products available that offering proctoring of the test, those versions should be allowed. I have not read the fine points, but I assume they will be. I have used the Binax NOW HOME version test, which is proctored, to enter the US. This is essentially the same test as the SELF version, but with the added proctoring to ensure you are indeed the person you say you are, and they observe YOU doing that test.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
No major changes. This is the only notable one, but it's minor:

Travellers will now have the option of using a COVID-19 rapid antigen test result (taken the day prior to their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border or marine port of entry).

Note antigen tests must be done within 1 day of entry to Canada. Molecular tests could be done within 72 hours.

Tacoma

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I for one am reasonably happy with the changes. Yes there is still a test but it will be much cheaper than the PCR test. Also how I interpreted the random testing is that it will be testing less people than now. When the government brought in the random testing at the airport their goal was 100% to be tested from all locations other than the US. Don't get me started on exempting people coming from the US when the numbers in the US have consistently been higher than in Canada. We have a long weekend trip planned to Seattle to use us an Alaska airlines voucher that we got due to covid. If they were still forcing the PCR test we were just going to take the loss of the airfare. It may not be totally back to normal but it is a significant step. We went to Mexico in early December before they recommended against travelling but after they put in the random testing. Of course we got randomly selected. Some people had to wait several days for their test results. The new change means you do not need to quarantine while you wait for the results.

Last edited:

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Most problematic would be having to find 2 or more in-person test site. PITA.

If you need a rapid test in Canada, most major drug stores (Shoppers Drug Mart, Rexall) as well as Costco will do a rapid test. DD took this a little while ago at our local Costco. 1645070869344.png
Costco looks like the cheapest. DD's test at Rexall was $30. to fly to the USA in Dec.

~Diane

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Don't know what an acceptable rapid test twill cost you. But, just returned from Roatan, PCR test $70.00 USD, heard it was 40.00 for a USA rapid test. The rest of the "new" arrival situation...smoke and mirrors...don;t want to go all political lol.

Keata

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
Having come back from Cancun this month it would have cost us $30 CDN vs $105CDN for the PCR for each of us. I have used Costco twice for the rapid antigen to go to the US. Cheap, seamless and fast. You do need to reserve online though.

SDawn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope they bring back the no testing required for land border crossings under 72 hours. Heck even under 24 hours! I can't imagine how difficult it's been for those in border towns with family just across a bridge that they can't see easily without a big expense.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I hope they bring back the no testing required for land border crossings under 72 hours. Heck even under 24 hours! I can't imagine how difficult it's been for those in border towns with family just across a bridge that they can't see easily without a big expense.
I just hope they get rid of the testing period for US/Canada trips. It is no longer relevant given that transmission is occurring on both sides of the border.