• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Covid Forum Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be sure to check new rules for Covid forum. TugBrian has updated the rules effective today. 10/03/22

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
The positions on both sides of the Covid debate have indeed gotten too political, and this forum is a microcosm of society on that. Indeed some of the standard talking points we have seen here are also involved in current political races and on issues beyond Covid. It would be nice to have a thoughtful discussion on policy, but that does not seem possible and Brian seems to have made a good call. Maybe a title change for the subforum like "Covid and travel" would also help steer things the preferred direction.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Or, like Covid winding down in most peoples lives, we have moved on to bigger and better things and so this Forum may well continue to wind down until the next big pandemic appears. Hopefully never!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
Vaccine debates were banned on forums like cruisecritic for at least the last 18 months. Resentful comments about the unvaccinated flowed pretty regularly, until the mods updated the rules to ban the debate from both sides. Take those forums and jump ahead to October 2022, as covid restrictions get removed from cruising, and almost no one cares in any of the comments. Even a couple people who do, it is still fairly passive and indifferent. The overwhelming majority celebrated the decision.

People have gotten used to their little wars on here, where this debate still feels fresh and active. The rest of the world has moved on to topics such as the Ukraine, inflation, energy, hurricanes, etc.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Vaccine debates were banned on forums like cruisecritic for at least the last 18 months. Resentful comments about the unvaccinated flowed pretty regularly, until the mods updated the rules to ban the debate from both sides. Take those forums and jump ahead to October 2022, as covid restrictions get removed from cruising, and almost no one cares in any of the comments. Even a couple people who do, it is still fairly passive and indifferent. The overwhelming majority celebrated the decision.

People have gotten used to their little wars on here, where this debate still feels fresh and active. The rest of the world has moved on to topics such as the Ukraine, inflation, energy, hurricanes, etc.
I've thought it was time to move on from all of the Covid debates for some time now, but when trying to start a thread to discuss the idea of shutting this down, the mods just decided to shut my thread down. The mods obviously want these useless and divisive arguments to continue here on TUG. :(

Not my circus, not my monkeys. Sigh.

Kurt

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
I've thought it was time to move on from all of the Covid debates for some time now, but when trying to start a thread to discuss the idea of shutting this down, the mods just decided to shut my thread down. The mods obviously want these useless and divisive arguments to continue here on TUG. :(

Kurt

download.jpg

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Kurt

I doubt the mods care either way for the most part. I don't. It is comical in a way that you of all people are complaining. Tug is like a bar filled with people. I appreciate every thing here and have learned long ago to accept the differences and diversity. It just easier, imo.

Bill

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Tug is like a bar filled with people.
If that were true, the bouncer would have thrown several people out by now.

I appreciate the people here, but IMO discussions on this forum have served their purpose, and it is now mostly just petty arguments. If the conversations were kept to travel-related Covid issues, then it would be useful but a) most if not all Covid-related travel restrictions / issues are gone so not much to discuss, and b) some people can't help themselves and continue to make non-travel related Covid comments which they and everyone else know are purposefully divisive.

Kurt

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
My only travel related COVID experiences are to medical appointments

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If that were true, the bouncer would have thrown several people out by now.

I appreciate the people here, but IMO discussions on this forum have served their purpose, and it is now mostly just petty arguments. If the conversations were kept to travel-related Covid issues, then it would be useful but a) most if not all Covid-related travel restrictions / issues are gone so not much to discuss, and b) some people can't help themselves and continue to make non-travel related Covid comments which they and everyone else know are purposefully divisive.

Kurt

That is why the covid topic is a seperate forum. The purpose is general conversation and participation is not mandatory. What usually happens is the conversations are disrupted by people that don't want to participate in the covid forum other than to voice an objection. Some objections are part of the conversation and some flame a thread. Analytically, I think the covid forum does provide Tug with a higher user rate than without which does give Tug a better overall ranking.

Bill

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought the bar room reference was funny, and somewhat appropriate, however I miss the bands drinks and conversations about anything an everything.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The forum rule changes seem to completely negate the need for the COVID forum now. We can already discuss COVID related travel topics in the other forums. So what is this forum now needed for?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The forum rule changes seem to completely negate the need for the COVID forum now. We can already discuss COVID related travel topics in the other forums. So what is this forum now needed for?
I think the idea is to have an easy way to consolidate all the pertinent travel info in one place, so you don't have to go looking in all the various subforums.The way the rule is now makes it useful and informative.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think the idea is to have an easy way to consolidate all the pertinent travel info in one place, so you don't have to go looking in all the various subforums.The way the rule is now makes it useful and informative.

Maybe but it will kill the covid forum, imo. Most users come here to bs about covid general information with opinions and not so much the policy at a resort or restaurant. Others show up interested in who is spouting off to who. Many times there are very interesting , vivid and colorful snide remarks that to me can be more interesting than the original topic. Recently I read a concern addressed to me that was so well written and vivid that I think this person may one of authors in the group. I actually enjoyed reading it.

Where it can get dicey is when people try to control the topics with rudeness to shut the topic down. There really isn't a need for anyone to do that because the topics all run their course anyway. Maybe a thumbs down or smiling turd emoji could be used to show dissent.

Bill

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Maybe but it will kill the covid forum, imo. Most users come here to bs about covid general information with opinions and not so much the policy at a resort or restaurant.
Then it should kill it, and too bad. The new rules say the COVID19 forum is NO LONGER for people to "bs about covid general information with opinions."

It is about policies at restaurants or airlines, or states or counties,etc. It is not about what people think about those policies and their own political ideological views. It's not hard for a competent, rational person to understand the policy. Those that want to spout their personal opinions can be happily killed off, "imo."

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Those that want to spout their personal opinions can be happily killed off, "imo."

Your opinions are often inflammatory here and else where and are definitely a large part of the reason for the rule change. You are sort of like the kid that throws the ball over the cliff because you can't play well with others. Game over.

Actually, I always thought that the covid forum should only be for travel info so I'm good with the rule change. The reason I think this is because I understand some people who could have easily just stayed away would be compelled to come in and get frustrated when they realize they can't control a topic. I did read your post in the sunscreen thread where instead of talking about sunscreen or coral you felt compelled to bring up the covid forum and I thought that is Dave.

Bill

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
Then it should kill it, and too bad. The new rules say the COVID19 forum is NO LONGER for people to "bs about covid general information with opinions."

It is about policies at restaurants or airlines, or states or counties,etc. It is not about what people think about those policies and their own political ideological views. It's not hard for a competent, rational person to understand the policy. Those that want to spout their personal opinions can be happily killed off, "imo."

A different way to look at it. Sometimes the situation becomes problem only because someone looks at in a certain subjective, negative, ungrateful way, "imo."

Think about this. American author, Robert Anton Wilson once noted:

"Is," "is," "is" — the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment."

Any thoughts? :ponder:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You are sort of like the kid that throws the ball over the cliff because you can't play well with others. Game over.
We never had many cliffs around where I grew up. Our main problem was a kid getting mad and "roofing" a ball. That was when they would intentionally throw the ball on the school roof. Then you had to wait for hours until the janitor went to fetch it.

I am fine with the rule change, but we already discuss travel related COVID in the Vacation Travel Information forum and other forums, so the rule doesn't make sense here. I am perfectly fine with eliminating threads that start just from someone posting a link to some article. I would be perfectly fine if that rule were universal across the entire set of forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.