• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

calcium84

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa
I just got off the phone with a representative from the Legacy Program about my exit options and was informed that because I don't use my timeshare often enough, I don't qualify?? Has this always been a thing? I've seen the success stories on here of getting out of the Westgate timeshares, and I was very surprised to hear this! If I did qualify, the cost to get out would be $2500 (maintenance fees are $1800) but it's only at their discretion that they'll accept the paid off timeshare back, so there's not actually a guarantee that I can be free of this burden!

Also, can anyone share how long it took to be free of Westgate from the time you paid off your timeshare to the time that Westgate accepted it back?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How often does an owner needs to used their timeshare membership with Westgate Legacy Program?

calcium84

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They didn't specify, which I thought was very shady. I've had mine for 5 years and have only used it twice.

calcium84

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's very disappointing news to hear because I've seen others' success stories on here with just paying a fee and being done with the timeshare. But now I'm wondering if that's no longer the case or were there always these sort of "eligibility requirements"?

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I find it very hard to believe that the frequency of OP's actual use during the 5 years of ownership would have anything whatsoever to do with "eligibility" for Wastegate's "Legacy" (deedback) program. That simply makes no sense. There certainly have been many reports of Wastegate "cherry picking" weeks for acceptance into their Legacy deedback program, but I've never before heard of that particular lame reason for denial.

That said, I am at a loss to begin to comprehend why Wastegate would deny deedback acceptance (and the extortion money demand to accept it back) if the timeshare is paid off and has no associated unpaid loan and / or maintenence fees in arrears. Is Westgate Lakes perhaps a low demand / low value property for some reason? :shrug:

I can't help but wonder if another phone call / Legacy request made a week or two from now would still yield that same lame and unconvincing response. :ponder:

Last edited:

calcium84

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Personally, I find it very hard to believe that the frequency of OP's actual use during the 5 years of ownership would have anything whatsoever to do with "eligibility" for Wastegate's "Legacy" (deedback) program. That simply makes no sense.

That said, I am certainly at a loss to begin to comprehend why Wastegate would deny deedback acceptance (and mandatory extortion money to accept it back) if the timeshare is fully paid for and has no associated unpaid loan and / or maintenence fees in arrears. Is Westagte Lakes perhaps a low demand / low value property? :shrug:

I can't help but wonder if another phone call / Legacy request made a week or two from now would still yield that same lame and unconvincing response. :ponder:
I wouldn't have a reason to lie about it? I called last year, earlier this year and again recently, and I absolutely agree that it makes no sense, but it's what I was told. Is it silly that my usage should have anything to do with the deedback program? Of course! No argument here.

And unfortunately, they're not very forthcoming with information on what would make me eligible. Will be reaching out to them again in a few weeks, as you mentioned.

Open to additional suggestions if you have them!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Is Westgate Lakes perhaps a low demand / low value property for some reason?
The resort is huge and I beleive still in active sales with a couple new buildings built in the last couple of years.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The resort is huge and I beleive still in active sales with a couple new buildings built in the last couple of years.
Could it be that "still in active sales" is somehow a factor in the Wastegate thought process for Legacy eligibility at Westgate Lakes?

Deservedly known for their greed, perhaps the Wastegate logic is that if someone is reliably paying maintenence fees, while actually using the week only 2 out of the past 5 years, why should we take it back now if they will just keep on paying anyhow?" I certainly dunno --- it's Wastegate, after all. :shrug:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's what Theo was suggesting. Other possibilities include: The phone rep just making stuff up, or Westgate being Westgate.
Correct. I was not in any way questioning the OP's veracity, only the validity / credibility of the Wastegate rep "input" (input which makes no logical sense at all).

calcium84

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Correct. I was not in any way questioning the OP's veracity, only the validity / credibility of the Wastegate rep "input" (input which makes no logical sense at all).
My apologies for misunderstanding.

Hopefully the next rep is more knowledgeable/gives less BS.

calcium84

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think that's what Theo was suggesting. Other possibilities include: The phone rep just making stuff up, or Westgate being Westgate.
I'm open to the rep being new, or making stuff up, as a possibility to the utter nonsense I'm being told. It's just not right and incredibly frustrating.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
My apologies for misunderstanding.

Hopefully the next rep is more knowledgeable/gives less BS.
No worries; obviously just a harmless misinterpretation.

You mention having had numerous previous conversations with Wastegate about using "Legacy" to deed back the week at issue. Have the previous "explanations" offered by Wastegate for their denials of acceptance been consistently the same --- or have you gotten a different song and dance routine with each successive inquiry?

The above observation by dioxide45 that Westgate Lakes is "still in active sales" (and still building) may very well be a factor here. Specifically, maybe Wastegate won't accept any Westgate Lakes deedbacks while the property is still in active developer sales as a matter of internal policy (even if they are not willing to admit or acknowledge that). This is just pure speculation on my part, but maybe Wastegate seeks to avoid anyone potentially going viral on the Internet, publicly revealing that they actually had to pay Wastegate to take back their week, only five years after purchase). Such a public revelation does not exactly enhance the customary (but blatantly false) statements of sales weasels who routinely claim that purchasing developer weeks is a "good financial investment" and / or "an asset which will only appreciate in value". I can't think of any other explanation for their denial, but certainly "you're not using it enough" is a very weak (and not at all credible) reason for denying a deedback under their "Legacy" program. :shrug:

calcium84

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No worries; obviously just a harmless misinterpretation.

You mention having had numerous previous conversations with Wastegate about using "Legacy" to deed back the week at issue. Have the previous "explanations" offered by Wastegate for their denials of acceptance been consistently the same --- or have you gotten a different song and dance routine with each successive inquiry?

The above observation by dioxide45 that Westgate Lakes is "still in active sales" (and still building) may very well be a factor here. Specifically, maybe Wastegate won't accept any Westgate Lakes deedbacks while the property is still in active developer sales as a matter of internal policy (even if they are not willing to admit or acknowledge that). This is just pure speculation on my part, but maybe Wastegate seeks to avoid anyone potentially going viral on the Internet, publicly revealing that they actually had to pay Wastegate to take back their week, only five years after purchase). Such a public revelation does not exactly enhance the customary (but blatantly false) statements of sales weasels who routinely claim that purchasing developer weeks is a "good financial investment" and / or "an asset which will only appreciate in value". I can't think of any other explanation for their denial, but certainly "you're not using it enough" is a very weak (and not at all credible) reason for denying a deedback under their "Legacy" program. :shrug:
I would say overall it's been consistent-leaning. 2 out of 3 said it was due to my usage not being adequate and the last one I spoke with most recently also mentioned my usage AND that at Westgate's discretion they would decide to take it back or not after I pay $2500. I'm not inclined to give them money first without any sort of guarantee that they'll accept it back, since that would just be a waste of money.

I hadn't connected what dioxide45 was saying as a potential reason for why Westgate wouldn't accept the property, but that's a very fair point! Also, what you're saying makes sense. They aren't going to be transparent with their internal policies and inventory could also be an issue? I'm not sure if it's better that they're telling me something somewhat-consistent, but still nonsense, or if it'd be better to hear a new reason every time.

I hate the idea that I might have this timeshare for a few more years, but it also seems like there's not much else to do other than continue to call and hope my time comes where they'll accept the property back.

• Haha
Reactions: Duh

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel Wastegate wants the OP to upgrade to another money Wastegate Program. more money. .

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Your only other options would be to offer a cash incentive to give it away here in the bargain deals -or- stop making any payments to Westgate and take the credit hit letting it go into foreclosure.