• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NEW CANCEL POLICY - Restricted Star Options are good until end of 2021 and 120 day advance use.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
There is no reason why you can't cancel and rebook multiple times - you have always been able to do that with restricted Staroptions.
Thanks. I thought that was the case but obviously under 'normal' operations it was harder to do multiple times when the options expired at the end of the current calendar year.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It is possible that they will stop waiving the cancellation fees if you cancel inside of 60 days.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If travel goes back to business as usual, I think the cancellation rules will go back to business as usual. But I see no reason why they would add fees back before that happens. However, Starwood/Vistana/Marriott has dones strange things before, so no guarantees.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
So let me ask I have a ton of options for 2020 does this mean I can carry them over to 2021 automatically and I will not have to convert them to points?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So let me ask I have a ton of options for 2020 does this mean I can carry them over to 2021 automatically and I will not have to convert them to points?
If they are not banked points, you still need to bank or convert to points. If they are banked points, then I think you may try to extend it by booking now and cancelling within 60 days. I have banked points which expire this year but I am hoping that we can travel in November and have not tried to book and cancel within 60 days.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nothing happens automatically you have to take action by the deadline (varies dependent upon status) to either convert to points or bank for use in 2021 or 2022.

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
When booking using restricted options for WKORV (now within 120 days of arrival) does one see what view category the unit will be? Or is that determined upon checkin? Never used restricted options before. Thanks.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
When booking using restricted options for WKORV (now within 120 days of arrival) does one see what view category the unit will be? Or is that determined upon checkin? Never used restricted options before. Thanks.
You can still book Ocean Front if you spend the points and there is availability. I don't think there is a way to see the view after booking unless you confirm in to Ocean Front. This would apply to unrestricted or restricted StarOptions.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When you make a Staroption reservation, you are only shown 2 views: Floating View & Oceanfront. This is because Oceanfront requires more Staroptions, but Island View and Ocean View, require the same number of Staroptions. Most of the time, you won't see any Oceanfront reservations in the inventory, because they aren't available - if you search and don't see any, they are all booked. Island View, and Ocean View, are not displayed when you search online - they are lumped together into the "floating view," category. With a floating view, you should expect to get an Island View location, and consider anything else an upgrade. Vistana will not tell you what view you got until check-in - that's their policy.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
Can you use staroptions to book a rental?
Only if those StarOptions have originated from that home resort.

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
I canceled in March after the new 120 day policy. It still shows up as StarOptions that expire end of 2020 and not 2021. Should I call Vistana or are they still behind in updating their system?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I canceled in March after the new 120 day policy. It still shows up as StarOptions that expire end of 2020 and not 2021. Should I call Vistana or are they still behind in updating their system?
I wouldn't call. I suggest sending them a message through their website. That way, you have it better documented in writing and you aren't relying on front line reps who probably can't solve the issue directly.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I would contact them. It should be fixed by now. I cancelled a March reservation on March 19 which was before the announcement of the new policy.

Our SO originally showed up as just restricted with a Dec 2020 expiry, but then in early May they switched to have a Dec 2021 expiry date. No contact was needed from me.

I suspect you got missed somehow.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you cancelled more than 60 days before check-in, that is how your Staroptions should appear in your account. If you want to bank them into 21/22, you have to do it yourself.

If you cancelled 0-60 days before check-in, they should show as restricted Staroptions that are good until the end of 2021.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you cancel a reservation, you get a cancellation confirmation that mentions a temporary cancellation policy effective March 12, 2020. When you click on the link to view the policy, it mentions:

Canceling a Reservation Greater than 60 Days from Arrival

If you are seeking to cancel your reservation, you may do so without penalty or fee. Your StarOptions will be returned to your account and will be accessible for use upon completion of cancellation.

Canceling a Reservation 1–60 Days from Arrival

As of March 12, 2020, due to the unprecedented circumstances surrounding the COVID-19 situation, we are extending the 60-day restriction on StarOptions to 120 days.

Reservations cancelled within 60 days of arrival will be returned as Restricted StarOptions and can be used for a future reservation within 120 days of arrival date. This change will take approximately 14 days to process. The expiration date of those restricted StarOptions has also been extended for use through December 31, 2021. This extension will be visible in your online account within 45 days.Additionally, cancellation fees are waived due to COVID-19.

I can take some time before the extended cancellation date shows up on your dashboard.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have cancelled 3 reservations this year right at the 60 day mark and although the returned options show up immediately for reuse or banking the dashboard overview of options had sometimes taken a day or two to catch up.