• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Buyer: Weeks or Points?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I am wondering how do you lock off your newport coast 2br unit? NCV is all dedicated 2br units there are no lock offs at that property.

I think CCR was saying that rather than using the NCV to trade, they prefer to trade their Mountainside lock off unit to get 2 for 1's.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
That makes more sense.

CCR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NCV, Worldmark
I think CCR was saying that rather than using the NCV to trade, they prefer to trade their Mountainside lock off unit to get 2 for 1's.

Yes thanks for clarifying. I use the NCV one typically and trade the lock off at Mountainside to get several trades in Interval for that one week.

OWMBGV

Reaction score
For the flexibility points offer, we have been contemplating purchasing the minimum 1500 points resale and renting the rest of the points that we would want for any given year. That seems to be the most economical way, in my view, because the upfront cost is lower than any bundle package.

I would also suggest checking out booking with the owner discount as well.

Theousaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott Aruba

Three years ago my wife and I went to four timeshare presentations in Aruba, one being with the Marriott who owns three properties on the island. They explained that there are roughly 200,000 members in their "points" system which breaks down to 3% in the upper tier, 17% in the second tier and 80% in the remaining. I forget how one gets to different tiers but my wife and I would initially be with the 80%. So the folks in the upper tier and middle tier get first dibs on the cream of the crop timeshares. 200,000 * 20% = 40,000. So 40,000 people get the most desirable properties, while the rest of us get what's left over. Suppose only 10% want Aruba during the "platinum" time frame, that's 4,000 week/units. If there are 400 units between the three Marriott Aruba resorts, that's 10 weeks gone.

The other resorts on the island had similar programs but also offered weeks, but were crazy expensive. So we did asked around to learn how to buy directly from sellers and ended up buying four "weeks" at three different Aruban resorts, three being two bedroom lockouts, in Feb/Mar. If we can't use the weeks, we rent them or let friends use them.

One of our resorts is offering to convert our weeks to points and noone is doing so, at least not those with platinum weeks so the resort is going to build three new buildings that are just going to be sold as "points". The problem is that there is not enough platinum inventory for those trying to trade in there gold/bronze to get platinum.

We heard too many horror stories from folks in the point system that can never get the most desirable weeks. The resorts promise you the world to get you to buy, even where we own. The told us how easy it would be to add a day or two on the front, or back end of our week, however usually there are none available, or if there are, at a very high price. Why, because they put them on hotels.com and other such sites and are able to get their price.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Three years ago my wife and I went to four timeshare presentations in Aruba, one being with the Marriott who owns three properties on the island. They explained that there are roughly 200,000 members in their "points" system which breaks down to 3% in the upper tier, 17% in the second tier and 80% in the remaining. I forget how one gets to different tiers but my wife and I would initially be with the 80%. So the folks in the upper tier and middle tier get first dibs on the cream of the crop timeshares. 200,000 * 20% = 40,000. So 40,000 people get the most desirable properties, while the rest of us get what's left over. Suppose only 10% want Aruba during the "platinum" time frame, that's 4,000 week/units. If there are 400 units between the three Marriott Aruba resorts, that's 10 weeks gone.

The other resorts on the island had similar programs but also offered weeks, but were crazy expensive. So we did asked around to learn how to buy directly from sellers and ended up buying four "weeks" at three different Aruban resorts, three being two bedroom lockouts, in Feb/Mar. If we can't use the weeks, we rent them or let friends use them.

One of our resorts is offering to convert our weeks to points and noone is doing so, at least not those with platinum weeks so the resort is going to build three new buildings that are just going to be sold as "points". The problem is that there is not enough platinum inventory for those trying to trade in there gold/bronze to get platinum.

We heard too many horror stories from folks in the point system that can never get the most desirable weeks. The resorts promise you the world to get you to buy, even where we own. The told us how easy it would be to add a day or two on the front, or back end of our week, however usually there are none available, or if there are, at a very high price. Why, because they put them on hotels.com and other such sites and are able to get their price.

Actually with Marriott, my short experience has been the opposite of what you imply. While we've only owned Marriott for a year, I have found prime-time availability as a points owner in the lowest priority tier to still be excellent. We've been able to book exactly what we want, when we want it...so far.

What they were probably referring to in your presentations was that Marriott's higher tier elite status owners get access to book 13 months out whereas the rest of us have to wait until 12 months out. But the key is, Marriott does not release all of the inventory at 13 months and hold back significant inventory (maybe as much as 50% or more) for those of us who don't have full 13-month privileges. In fact, those of us in the lowest tier can still book at 13 months, it just costs us a 20% extra points premium. When I have searched for prime time accommodations at the 13 month release point, availability is often limited or nonexistent, but at the 12 month point, everything usually opens up - as long as I have enough points to book the reservation.

Bill4728

Reaction score
I am wondering how do you lock off your newport coast 2br unit? NCV is all dedicated 2br units there are no lock offs at that property.
Yes that is right they are all 2 bd units. So we use one week of our NCV weeks to stay in and the other we get DC pts and can then trade our pts for more than one week.

Theousaf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hope you are right JimInNC

I have met countless people who have had great difficulty getting Aruba in prime season. You should be aware of "Hell Weeks" at the Marriotts in the Jan/Feb time frame.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I hope you are right JimInNC

I have met countless people who have had great difficulty getting Aruba in prime season. You should be aware of "Hell Weeks" at the Marriotts in the Jan/Feb time frame.

I hope I'm right, too! :) Time will tell.

But as I recall, when I went online right at the opening of the 12 month reservation window, early this year when I was just shopping around, I recall seeing plenty of Aruba availability in January and February. Yes, there were certain periods here and there that may not have had availability, but overall availability in the DC points system looked pretty good as long as you had a little flexibility on which week you go. Now if you had to have Presidents week or MLK week, that might have been an issue (but I don't specifically recall which weeks were not as available). Right now we can't use any of those Jan/Feb weeks anyway because we're still tied to the school calendar for two more years (and even those holiday weeks are generally just one or at most two days of school break, so can't travel then either.)

cyseitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maintenance Fees

If going with the week option, which resorts should you focus on that would have the lowest MF's?

CCR

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
NCV, Worldmark
#1 Branson Willow Ridge Lodge I think is the lowest with a lock off. #2 some Orlando resorts. After that, I think Las Vegas, Phoenix, some Palm Springs resorts, and Mountainside Park City are all pretty reasonable. Newport Coast is affordable but it doesn't lock off. I'd also look at Williamsburg or New Jersey.

Look at the Marriott forum sticky of "Marriott 2015 Maintenance Fees" to get an idea of the different amounts. I don't know the resorts well enough around Hilton Head & Myrtle Beach to comment on those. I think less of those lock off.

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
One somewhat minor point: There seems to be an assumption here that the maintenance fees per legacy point for weeks owners are cheaper than the fees for trust points. That is clearly true for most if not all of the more expensive resorts (e.g., Maui has a rather low MF/point even with very high maintenance fees), but it is not at all true for many of the cheaper resorts, especially for off season weeks. Because they have relatively few legacy points associated with them, the MF/point for many of these resorts/seasons are higher than the fees for trust points. So the ongoing annual value of legacy points is generally the most attractive at the most expensive resorts.

cyseitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
One somewhat minor point: There seems to be an assumption here that the maintenance fees per legacy point for weeks owners are cheaper than the fees for trust points. That is clearly true for most if not all of the more expensive resorts (e.g., Maui has a rather low MF/point even with very high maintenance fees), but it is not at all true for many of the cheaper resorts, especially for off season weeks. Because they have relatively few legacy points associated with them, the MF/point for many of these resorts/seasons are higher than the fees for trust points. So the ongoing annual value of legacy points is generally the most attractive at the most expensive resorts.

Can you please tell me the difference between legacy points and trust points.
Thanks!

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Legacy Points are those Week(s) owners get by enrolling their Week(s) in the MVC Destination Club Points programme.
Such Owners then decide each year whether to elect this Week(s) for Points or not.
Trust Points are "pure" Points from buying directly into the MVC Destination Club Points programme.
Such Owners could either be new Owners or Week(s) Owners adding to their portfolio.
In the latter case Owners could have both Legacy and Trust Points.
TUG has plenty of debate about whether or not the potential benefits of Legacy Points being "supercharged" by buying Trust Points.
I am certainly not convinced by MVC reps trying to convince me of how I will have problems in future getting the bookings I want unless I add Trust Points to my Legacy Points.