• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Board letter. Special Assessment estimate.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow this is bad news for owners. I own at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club and we're facing a special assessment for like $800 and I was upset. A special assessment of $7300 per week is crazy. There has to be more than few owners who have multiple weeks that are facing a huge assessment.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We own 4...

Why can they only borrow $10 million? Is Wyndham a bad credit risk, or won't they guarantee the loan?

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own two. We love it there, but I'm not sure we love it there to the tune of another $15K. We'd pay it if we had to, but we sure wouldn't be happy about it. I also have to believe that a non-trivial fraction of owners will take one look at that and walk, which is only going to make it worse. I can't imagine what the whole-owners are thinking right now.

It's not obvious to me that the resort survives if this is the final plan to go forward.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We own 4...

Why can they only borrow $10 million? Is Wyndham a bad credit risk, or won't they guarantee the loan?

I assume they won't guarantee a loan for that amount. Why would they - a special assessment like that they're going to get the deeds to as much of the resort as they want.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also noticed this note in the letter:
Interior FF&E, which includes fixtures, appliances, counters, flooring, lighting, and soft goods as examples,
are the responsibility of the IOA or the individual whole owners. These costs are not included in the above
remediation estimate.

Also:
I will not pay a special assessment. They can have it back.
You won't be alone, I'm sure.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
At the tune of $7300 a week shouldn't the board be looking at the feasibility of the resort overall? Wouldn't it be better to just hang it up, dissolve the timeshare and sell the property?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
At the tune of $7300 a week shouldn't the board be looking at the feasibility of the resort overall? Wouldn't it be better to just hang it up, dissolve the timeshare and sell the property?
That's $380K/unit -- excluding any interior refurbishment.

The units are worth >$380K each as condos but will still not have any (or much) value after the proposed work is completed. Which means the owners would be better off by selling the project and dividing the cash. But I suspect Wyndham has other ideas.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the Shell additions in Hawaii, Wyndham might not need this in the portfolio; there are a LOT of Kauai resorts now. It’s in an out of the way place which is part of why we like it. But it does make it a harder sell to someone who doesn’t already know it is there.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
That's pretty shocking. I would really not be happy with the SA, but if you love the property and don't want greedy Wyndham to take back all of the weeks, owners will have to pay.

Wyndham has to be loving this SA because they will get back hundreds of weeks.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That’s crazy! The obvious answer is to sell the timeshare units and owners divide the proceeds if the condos are worth more than $380K, which I think they do.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
That’s crazy! The obvious answer is to sell the timeshare units and owners divide the proceeds if the condos are worth more than $380K, which I think they do.
Wyndham will keep all of the money "to fix the place," I am sure. They will get around it so they don't have to give owners anything.

bianchicycle

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas

And.... if they sell the property, who gets the money? We are supposed to be the owners. I can't imagine what the people who live there are thinking..

bianchicycle

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas
I, for one, would walk away. I have 5 weeks and would be $25000 in the hole... No way!

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Wyndham has to be loving this SA because they will get back hundreds of weeks.
As of early October, the Wyndham Ovations program was not accepting KBV weeks. We decided to check while waiting for this shoe to drop.

From the most recent newsletter "It appears clear that the KBV’s buildings were not constructed properly". Wondering why the original construction company is not being held to account? Point at Poipu recently got a settlement related to faulty construction that will be helping pay for some needed refurbishment.

And "Assuming that the required AOAO vote is obtained...." So every owner will have a vote at some point? And Wyndham will have a vote for each interval they own - what percentage does that come to?"

"the AOAO will have two bank loans... Repayment of these loans are estimated to increase the IOA maintenance fees by up to $184 per year per interval for a 2BR/2Bath
" On top of the special assessment.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
As of early October, the Wyndham Ovations program was not accepting KBV weeks. We decided to check while waiting for this shoe to drop.
I suspect they mean that they will be getting them back through default. Unfortunately it will be the HOA that actually gets them back. THus why they really should consider the feasibility of the resort as a whol.e

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
.... converted to points, or not?
Not. However, Jack posted this in April (post # 23) in DeniseM's thread about the resort being in bad shape (bolding mine): "When the IOA management contract was returned to Wyndham, we were informed of an improved Wyndham program of taking back unwanted units. During our February 2022 stay at KBV we called the Certified Exit phone number. ( https://clubwyndham.wyndhamdestinations.com/us/en/help/wyndham-cares/certified-exit ) Each ownership unit was individually checked. All were eligible. All but one were resales bought on ebay; none had been converted to the Wyndham program. About two weeks ago, we submitted our notarized paperwork to return our one non-OF unit. I suggest that geist123’s question be expanded to include: Will Wyndham continue to accept unconverted KBV units into its Certified Exit program? If the answer is ‘yes’ then DeniseM’s concern in post #9 (Secondly, you can't even give these timeshares away under the current conditions) is mostly addressed."

So in February, Wyndham was accepting KBV units in to Ovation. As of early October, they were not.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So in February, Wyndham was accepting KBV units in to Ovation. As of early October, they were not.
THey knew the SA was coming...

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
They had to have known it in February. Perhaps their corporate strategy shifted.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
...or they only recently started to understand the sheer magnitude of the problems. The whole process has been like pulling the thread of a sweater and unraveling the whole thing.

As I sit here today, my preference would be to discontinue it as a resort and liquidate. That's hard to say, because we really do like it there, but objectively it's not worth $7+K/week. Subjectively, well, there are lots of other Hawaiian resorts we could learn to love. If I was given the option to pay some modest fraction of that to divest myself, I would consider doing that before paying full freight to stay in, I think, but I'm not sure about that one yet.

Also, kudos to @jacknsara; your estimate was just about dead on the money. When you back in the $10M borrowed, you get about $8,900 per 2BR interval ($7.3K*56/46). Your estimate if I remember it correctly was $9K; that's Vegas-level prognostication.

Last edited:

djyamyam

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What percent of the entire facility is owned as full condo ownerships and what percent is represented as timeshares?

Even if the TS owners say wrap up the TS association, the units are still part of the larger KB condo association and that liability still exists at the macro level, doesn't it? I don't think it's straight forward clear path of exit

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't there be a vote to owners as to 1) Sell the property, and maybe the value is only the land for the developer to rebuild vs. 2) Special assessment to fix it up?

If I were to own there, I would vote to sell it off.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
What percent of the entire facility is owned as full condo ownerships and what percent is represented as timeshares?
Judging based only on lanai furniture, I'd say about half of the oceanfront buildings are whole-ownership condos. Not sure about the others. But yes, I suspect this will end up complicating things.