• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Needing Advice On Maximizing MY TPU Exchanging in RCI

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone that can help explain how to maximize my Trading Power Units (TPU) in RCI would be greatly appreciated. A little history, My wife and I have exchanged about 3-4 times into the RCI system using our TPU'S from the Biennial 1 bedroom deeded week at Grandview (week 23) we purchased in 2016. Although we like Las Vegas and have been there over the years we mostly like to travel to Beach areas Florida, Caribbean or Playa Del Carmen areas. For Florida we prefer the Gulf side and farther south but we are finding that we do not have much success finding a resort to exchange into. Our typical travel window being from the cold weather state of Minnesota is roughly the first 10 days of December, January- February and April-May.

What we have experienced is not finding anything to exchange into the SW Florida locations on the beach or even close to the beach. When we deposit our deeded week into RCI's system we get about 19 TPU's I am guessing this is not enough Trading Power to exchange into the areas that we would like to go?

The Caribbean is also expensive to trade into and we are not fans of the all inclusive. Playa Del Carmen we can find spots but when you add in the all inclusive fees which almost all resorts are it is not reasonable priced.

So I feel like we are right in-between adding another inexpensive timeshare that we can deposit into RCI to add to our TPU or just use the existing TPU value for a stay at a resort that is not our first choice? As an example we exchanged into Lighthouse Cove Resort in Pompano Beach in early May this year and we enjoyed it, right on the beach weather was nice and warm.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
What we have experienced is not finding anything to exchange into the SW Florida locations on the beach or even close to the beach.
SW Florida in the winter months (or really year-round) is probably more an issue of supply than demand. Back in the day someone tracked this carefully and the options were dwindling even a decade ago. More TPU isn't going to help you here, I don't think.

As for the others: I don't think a 1BR in early June in Las Vegas is a realistic exchange for something warm on the beach in the winter months. So if you don't want to buy something else, I think being more realistic about what is possible is a good idea.

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
SW Florida in the winter months (or really year-round) is probably more an issue of supply than demand. Back in the day someone tracked this carefully and the options were dwindling even a decade ago. More TPU isn't going to help you here, I don't think.

As for the others: I don't think a 1BR in early June in Las Vegas is a realistic exchange for something warm on the beach in the winter months. So if you don't want to buy something else, I think being more realistic about what is possible is a good idea.

Since this still feels new to me are you saying since I bought a 1 br in June in Vegas this unit when deposited into RCI only earns 19 TPU which is no where near the TPU needed to find a beach spot in the SW in those winter months?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Anyone that can help explain how to maximize my Trading Power Units (TPU) in RCI would be greatly appreciated. A little history, My wife and I have exchanged about 3-4 times into the RCI system using our TPU'S from the Biennial 1 bedroom deeded week at Grandview (week 23) we purchased in 2016. Although we like Las Vegas and have been there over the years we mostly like to travel to Beach areas Florida, Caribbean or Playa Del Carmen areas. For Florida we prefer the Gulf side and farther south but we are finding that we do not have much success finding a resort to exchange into. Our typical travel window being from the cold weather state of Minnesota is roughly the first 10 days of December, January- February and April-May.

What we have experienced is not finding anything to exchange into the SW Florida locations on the beach or even close to the beach. When we deposit our deeded week into RCI's system we get about 19 TPU's I am guessing this is not enough Trading Power to exchange into the areas that we would like to go?

The Caribbean is also expensive to trade into and we are not fans of the all inclusive. Playa Del Carmen we can find spots but when you add in the all inclusive fees which almost all resorts are it is not reasonable priced.

So I feel like we are right in-between adding another inexpensive timeshare that we can deposit into RCI to add to our TPU or just use the existing TPU value for a stay at a resort that is not our first choice? As an example we exchanged into Lighthouse Cove Resort in Pompano Beach in early May this year and we enjoyed it, right on the beach weather was nice and warm.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.
The first 10 days in December and May are probably the lowest demand within the season. Still there isn't too much deposited gulf side in Florida even then. If you only put in requests for non AI's in Mexico you might hit on something nice for the first 10 days of December or late April and May. Atlantic side of South Florida will be a little easier than gulf but still quite difficult. To some extent you are hindered by your trading power but you are equally hindered by wanting to go to places with much more demand than supply and even if you had double the trading power probably wouldn't come through for January and February.

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first 10 days in December and May are probably the lowest demand within the season. Still there isn't too much deposited gulf side in Florida even then. If you only put in requests for non AI's in Mexico you might hit on something nice for the first 10 days of December or late April and May. Atlantic side of South Florida will be a little easier than gulf but still quite difficult. To some extent you are hindered by your trading power but you are equally hindered by wanting to go to places with much more demand than supply and even if you had double the trading power probably wouldn't come through for January and February.
Agreed that is what we have been finding. It is good to know that more trading power would not matter, solves the discussion of buying another timeshare.

Does different inventory come up in RCI searches based on your TPU?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only timeshare units on or near a beach in SW Florida in open inventory at all at least 20 TPU, and they are off-season (eg september). An ongoing search would be necessary to get anything even with more TPU.

I think you'd be able to get a unit with Vidanta in Mexico. Their Riviera Maya resort is very nice, and not all-inclusive. They do have a resort fee, but its much less than the all inclusive options. You can actually search for all inclusive optional on RCI, which is what I always do for Mexico. You'll have e better luck with that than SW Florida.

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will check out that location, I will admit it has been hard too convince the boss that we should go back to Mexico? I'm ok with it, we like the Playa Del Carmen Area.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Can you only deposit your deeded week? Is there a way to trade your week at Grandview for a higher TPU period, (aka holiday or New Years), then deposit that exchanged week to RCI? When I owned a floating week at a certain resort I'd reserve a Christmas week, then deposit that to RCI. It got amazing TPU that way.

Dave

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
You should be able to see Morritt's resort on Grand Cayman for 19 TPU (studio or 1BR). However, the island is not open to tourists yet.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
No. You can see anything within your valid deposit window even if you don’t have sufficient TPU to make the exchange.

I think this needs some additional clarity for the OP.

IF you are searching AVAILABLE for booking inventory in RCI, your search will show you everything.

IF you are running an ongoing search (OGS) to book something before it is available to the masses, you are only going to see/match something that requires fewer TPUs than the deposit you are searching with.

Note: SW Florida gulf inventory is tough to book. An OGS is by far the most likely way to book it. Finding it at all or knowing it is there will be like finding a sasquatch if the TPU with the unit you are searching with is insufficient. And as has been said before, these are scarce/elusive trades when you have the necessary TPUs. Demand far exceeds supply.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I see quite a lot of weeks in SW Florida in hurricane season. Pretty rare in winter months as mentioned above.

Sheila

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you only deposit your deeded week? Is there a way to trade your week at Grandview for a higher TPU period, (aka holiday or New Years), then deposit that exchanged week to RCI? When I owned a floating week at a certain resort I'd reserve a Christmas week, then deposit that to RCI. It got amazing TPU that way.

Dave
Yes can only deposit my deeded week, we own a fixed deeded week every other year so a little limited but it gets us vacationing and we are finding ways to use the trading power units.

shells

TUG Member
Reaction score
You should be able to see Morritt's resort on Grand Cayman for 19 TPU (studio or 1BR). However, the island is not open to tourists yet.
We looked at this resort a year or Two back but decided not to go. Hopefully some day, never been to Grand Cayman, seems like this resort was on the opposite end of we you would want o be on the island but having never been there who knows till you try.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
April and May are wonderful times to exchange into Fl Gulf Coast. I live here and I trade often during this time. TPUs are lower and there is availability especially if you look more than one year out. Also the northern gulf coast beaches are much warmer than in winter season.