• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Needed supplies

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good morning
In 2weeks I will be going to surf watch as a first time owner. There will be 8 in our party in a three bedroom villas. I am wanting to know what supplies are provided? Do I need to bring extra TP, paper towels, cleaning supplies, laundry soap, dishwasher soap. I will bring my own soaps and shampoos as I like my own brands. Is there a good grocery store on hilton head or should I shop in Charlotte, NC as that is where we r staying night 2.
Thanks for any info.

Anna

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will be supplied with a starter set of tp, paper towels, sponges, dish washing liquid, soap and shampoo, as well as a couple of packs of coffee. There are many good grocery stores on the island, as well as a Walmart superstore with a complete grocery store that has everything you could possibly need. You will love Surfwatch. Enjoy! :)

Tunadavis

Reaction score
Good morning
In 2weeks I will be going to surf watch as a first time owner. There will be 8 in our party in a three bedroom villas. I am wanting to know what supplies are provided? Do I need to bring extra TP, paper towels, cleaning supplies, laundry soap, dishwasher soap. I will bring my own soaps and shampoos as I like my own brands. Is there a good grocery store on hilton head or should I shop in Charlotte, NC as that is where we r staying night 2.
Thanks for any info.

Anna
The villas are fully stocked with regular household items you mentioned. There are several grocery stores including a Super Walmart on HH. There is usually a starter coffee pack, but bring your own, especially since you have a party of 8. Same for laundry detergent. I don't remember, but I don't think they were HE washers. There is usually some detergent, but unless you are paying for cleaning service, I don't think you will get resupplied. I definitely recommend a call to guest services though. Have fun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
All that stuff is provided and you can ask for more if you need it. Hilton Head has everything you need, including very good grocery stores. The concierge can show you where they are.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Other than dish soap, there really isn't any cleaning supplies. No Lysol spray or anything like that. We usually buy liquid hand soap for each bathroom. TP, paper towels and dish soap is provided and the little bottle is enough to get us through the week. Dishwasher detergent packets are also provided, if you run out of those, TP or paper towels, just call down for more. They don't really want you using your own dish washing detergent in the dishwashers. They usually provide one or two Tide single use laundry detergents. I don't think they will provide more of laundry detergent so you will either want to bring that or buy some there.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many grocery stores: Publix, Whole Foods, Kogler, Fresh Market. We only do breakfast in the villa, lunch at the beach-- we go in the summer and dinner out as there are many excellent restaurants

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Add Harris Teeter to the Grocery Store list.

Also a Walmart if you want to go there for basics. It's actually pretty near Surf Watch. Kroger is going to be the best large store near you.

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. We are really excited. Has anyone here gone to the coastal discovery museum? We are 4 adults and 4 kids 17, 13, 10 and 10. We all love nature, plants, walking and anything to do with water. Any other suggestions? Very excited!

NKN

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from Harbour Club and tried Harris Teeter for the first time. We loved it ! One location was just outside the Sea Pines Greenwood Gate.

Nkn :whoopie::whoopie:

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from Harbour Club and tried Harris Teeter for the first time. We loved it ! One location was just outside the Sea Pines Greenwood Gate.

Nkn :whoopie::whoopie:

I have never been to a Harris Teeter so I think I will check that out. Due to the dismal Canadian Dollar this year we will be bringing alll our dried and canned goods and drinks.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. We are really excited. Has anyone here gone to the coastal discovery museum? We are 4 adults and 4 kids 17, 13, 10 and 10. We all love nature, plants, walking and anything to do with water. Any other suggestions? Very excited!

I've been to the Coastal Discovery Museum many times. They offer several programs on site, as well as a tour of the island's historic sites by van. Depending on the season, they sometimes have arts and craft fairs, and a farmer's market. It's definitely worth checking out.

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never been to a Harris Teeter so I think I will check that out. Due to the dismal Canadian Dollar this year we will be bringing alll our dried and canned goods and drinks.

Be careful of overpacking.

We drive down from MI. Since we have room in the car I may fill a grocery sack from my pantry if I truly think I will use the items. I will even put mustard, mayo & ketchup in a cooler. For sure I will pack about 5 of my favorite spices so I don't have to buy new ones. After 15 years of timesharing I have a good feel for what I will make during the 1-6 weeks. One of my favorite casseroles calls for a bit of flour and self-rising cornmeal. Instead of buying those I will measure out the dry ingredients into a zip lock bag and bring just enough. Same for a fruit cobbler. Just measure out the dry ingredients and pack. If it's a short trip of a week I can make much use from a single bottle of Paul Newman's Italian dressing. It's a meat marinade, oil and spices for veggie stir fry that can be turned into fajitas, salad dressing.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
I always pack aluminum foil, a variety of plastic food bags and artificial sweetener. I have one beat-up roll of foil that has seen it's share of timeshares but I prefer a good foil than the stuff I can buy of .99. I find this stuff comes in handy.

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score

We drive down from MI.

Yes I do have a habit of overpacking. I like your idea of a bottle of salade dressing. We will buy all our perishables and meats in Hilton Head. We are leaving from SSM MI so we are doing 2 nights this year so keeping food frozen is to hard. It's a vacation any way and I am looking forward to going to Harris Teeter.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score

We drive down from MI.

Yes I do have a habit of overpacking. I like your idea of a bottle of salade dressing. We will buy all our perishables and meats in Hilton Head. We are leaving from SSM MI so we are doing 2 nights this year so keeping food frozen is to hard. It's a vacation any way and I am looking forward to going to Harris Teeter.
Car Battery powered cooler?

Dry ice?

Quilter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Car Battery powered cooler?

Dry ice?

Don't know if you were asking or suggesting. . .

We use just a regular cooler. Usually a soft sided one that can be used at the resort to take things down to beach or pool. We use those blue freezable cooler inserts. When we stop for an overnight at a hotel we take in the cooler and put things in the fridge and refreeze the inserts.

Depending the weather, the car may actually stay cooler during the night than a fridge.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know if you were asking or suggesting. . .

We use just a regular cooler. Usually a soft sided one that can be used at the resort to take things down to beach or pool. We use those blue freezable cooler inserts. When we stop for an overnight at a hotel we take in the cooler and put things in the fridge and refreeze the inserts.

Depending the weather, the car may actually stay cooler during the night than a fridge.
Suggesting. We use a wheeled cooler for the car rides and pack it full and as you say leave it in the car overnight.

I would consider buying one that has the cooling for a longer ride.

We thought about dry ice for the st john flight but did not because it was non stop. The stuff was in soft side bags for less than 6 hours.

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does the dry ice work. I have heard of others doing this. Cool-atron would take up too much space. My son has very good cooler that keeps things frozen 24 hrs. Part of the reason we will buy meats in HHI is we have to cross from canada into US five min into our trip. Never quite sure what I can and cannot bring across. Duty free sure is AWESOME on way home though. :whoopie:

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I live 13 miles from HHI and we still vacation there at times. If we are driving, we take everything we need. We eat in often as we vacation many weeks. I go through my pantry and spices and take whatever I think I need. Why buy something when I already have it? Our grocery stores are great and have good sales. You will love Surf Watch. Let me know if you have other questions about the area.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
How does the dry ice work. I have heard of others doing this. Cool-atron would take up too much space. My son has very good cooler that keeps things frozen 24 hrs. Part of the reason we will buy meats in HHI is we have to cross from canada into US five min into our trip. Never quite sure what I can and cannot bring across. Duty free sure is AWESOME on way home though. :whoopie:
You can bring usda meats in vacuum packs. The US is more concerned with fruits and veg.

Have not done the dry ice yet but it works like the blue bricks but colder for longer. Then it is evaporated and gone.

Janette

TUG Member
Reaction score
We carry some meats to St. Thomas as our prices are a lot more inexpensive and I can have the cuts of meat I prefer. You don't need to do this if you are coming to HHI. I would just bring things that would not use up during the week. I always carry sugar, flour, foil, wax paper, spices, oils, peanut butter, condiments, coffee etc. Write down what you think you will eat and look at the ingredients.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
Walmart Supercenter is on the island and a Sams Club (I think). Better grocery stores as well, if that's your preference. Enjoy!

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. i have a better idea what to pack now. Am i right in assuming Surf watch has BBQ's for use. Also wondering if there are any good places to Kayak on HHI or is March too off season?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Thanks for all the advice. i have a better idea what to pack now. Am i right in assuming Surf watch has BBQ's for use. Also wondering if there are any good places to Kayak on HHI or is March too off season?

Surfwatch has outdoor grills, yes.

and kayaking in and around HH is very popular and can be done while you're there. Google "Hilton Head kayaking" and you'll have a jump start on the companies, etc.

One of my great friends and a fellow Grande Ocean owner, a physician, kayaks a lot there----his idea of a morning workout is kayaking completely around the island, and does it often. I'm in pain just imagining that.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
I see kids kayaking and paddle boarding, must be fun. Maybe we'll do it next time. Any sharks that we should be concerned about?