• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Needed others feedback on urinary tract infection

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been on antibiotics for two days for cystitis or something like that and it isn't as severe now, but feels more like a urinary infection. How long should I wait before calling or seeing a doctor. (She helped me out by calling in a prescription for generic Bactrim on Sunday, because it was so bad there was no way I could 45 minutes to urgent care.)
Thanks,
Liz

caribbean

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Liz-

Give it a little more time.... Two days may not be enough to feel relief. Cystitis is a form of urinary tract infection, ususally considered to be the bladder. Antibiotic treatment is correct. Just be sure to take all of the pills prescribed, don't quit them early because it can come back on you with a more resistant strain.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Cystex.

The Chief Of Staff says some OTC preparations help relieve symptoms (burning, irritation, urgency, etc.) while the antibiotics go to work on the underlying infection.

Might help. Can't hurt.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

DebBrown

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
That OTC med is Uristat. I always carry it in my purse even though I haven't had a UTI in years.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. It is the worst torture!

Deb

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It seems like UTI's always come at the worst times, at least to me. Turns out that one of their triggers is stress. Go know.

When you are trying to get better, and taking meds, you have to drink tons of water a day. Not coffee, not tea, not soda pop, water. Normally the meds for this are for seven days, and you need to take them all, even if you feel better. You can't drink alcohol, which I'm sure you know. Negates the effect of the antibiotic. Mostly they give sulfa drugs for UTIs. I'm allergic, so my doctor prescribes Levaquin (ouch! works, but pricey).

Hope this helps. Its no fun at all...

Fern

Mimi39

TUG Member
Reaction score
Didn't people used to drink cranberry juice for that?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Didn't people used to drink cranberry juice for that?

From what I've heard cranberry juice isn't much help if you already have a UTI. You need to drink it ahead of time. :rolleyes:

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, it came back and got worse, so I ended up getting a substitute. I was in pain and I couldn't imagine teaching and being a 1/4 mile from the bathroom! I was able to get in with a local doctor who does take walk-ins in the morning. The infection was obvious. He gave me three days of levaquin and Phenazopyrdine (also says a common name is Urogesic). I'm glad you said something, Fern, about not drinking alcohol. I didn't know that, as this is a problem I haven't experienced in over 35 years. I did have a beer with pizza Sunday, but nothing like that yesterday. I have been prescribed Septra or Bactrim for sinus frequently. Possibly it is a resistant bacterial strain or I've developed a resistance to it.
Anyway, I'm feeling much better already.:cheer:
Liz

applegirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've had UTI's over the years and they are no fun at all.

Hope it clears up real soon!!!

Janna

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stay on your antibiotic. Flush your system with non-caffeinated beverages. The cranberry juice debate still rages and there are two camps re: the acidic/alkalaine urine... to do or not to do... however, if it helps, add it to your regime.
The latest antibiotic regime is 3 days, but I am frequently Rx'ing meds x 3 days with a refill x 2.

Cotton undies, please.

Please PM for me more delicate instructions.

I treat these all the time in my practice.

Last edited:

mterra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many times a culture is needed to determine the specific bacteria. Then sensitivities will be done on it to determine which antibiotic would be best to treat it. Some bacterias are resistent to certain medications. I use macrobid a lot, but I am dealing with pregnant women. Another thing that helps, if you're having pain while you are peeing--pyridium helps. It is usually used for just the first couple days. Is an anelgesia that works on the bladder/urethra. Your probably on your way to recovery with the meds you're on, but I always want to know what the bacteria is. Start them on a med and then change depending on the results as neede.
Mary