• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need to make a decision on rescheduling UTAH trip

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So I looked it up and we booked the flight on March 18. Our luck- wouldn't you know the schedule has not changed- only by 15 minutes. You would think maybe there would have been a change in the time or flight. Usually that always happens to us. Now that we would benefit from it- nothing. Only a 15 minute difference in departure time. Otherwise we would be eligible for a refund.

I can wait a bit more to cancel the airline reservation- hoping to get lucky that the schedule will change last minute, but I have to cancel the lodging before 72 hours before check in- so that is another issue.

I don't know...... this is so not good. We have so much going on. We are building a house in another state which could be completed the beginning of 2020. We will have to go up there for the walk through and closing. Husband retires 12/31. We have financials with that and health insurance and Medicare stuff to handle.

And then, of course, the second move. Talk about being overwhelmed.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
So I looked it up and we booked the flight on March 18.

I don't know...... this is so not good. We have so much going on. We are building a house in another state which could be completed the beginning of 2020. We will have to go up there for the walk through and closing. Husband retires 12/31. We have financials with that and health insurance and Medicare stuff to handle.

And then, of course, the second move. Talk about being overwhelmed.
If March 18 is the last date to change the tickets to, my suggestion is just let it go at this point. There is so much on your plate and the worst thing that can happen is you pay money to get the new tickets, spend money to set up new travel plans, have another vacation all planned and then it doesn’t happen because you have to move into your new home.

If you get into your new home prior and are settled, you can always put together a last minute trip.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
If March 18 is the last date to change the tickets to, my suggestion is just let it go at this point. There is so much on your plate and the worst thing that can happen is you pay money to get the new tickets, spend money to set up new travel plans, have another vacation all planned and then it doesn’t happen because you have to move into your new home.

If you get into your new home prior and are settled, you can always put together a last minute trip.
Good suggestion.

@mpumilia at this point is all you would be out the airfare? United is going to charge you an additional fee to make any changes, heck they may even charge you to cancel (I'm not sure about that, but I know if you cancel and have used miles to book it costs to put the miles back into your account).

But Panina has a good point. Trying to find another major trip that has to be completed prior to March might be more stress than you want at this point. Could you use the airfare for some type of shorter trip, closer to home, that wouldn't take a lot of planning? Maybe that way you wouldn't loss everything. Again, you'd have to look at how much you might be charged to make the changes.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
If you booked Basic Economy on United, you cant change the date or itinerary 24 hours after booking. Your only hope is the airline changed the schedule for more than 30 min.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
If you booked Basic Economy on United, you cant change the date or itinerary 24 hours after booking. Your only hope is the airline changed the schedule for more than 30 min.
So Basic is even more restrictive than regular Economy? I've never booked Basic Economy, for a variety of reasons, this just adds to the list.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

No- we did not do basic economy.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand the frustration you are feeling. It is certainly disappointing to have plans fall through, and to lose money too. I first started writing with a reminder to look on the bright side. When you booked the trip, you never would have guessed you would now be in the process of discovering your retirement home. Then again, before you cancel, try to imagine taking the trip. Maybe it is still possible?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I realize you are going to "eat" the airfare if you cancel, but look at the flip side: you are saving a ton of money by not going on the Utah trip.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Good suggestion.

@mpumilia at this point is all you would be out the airfare? United is going to charge you an additional fee to make any changes, heck they may even charge you to cancel (I'm not sure about that, but I know if you cancel and have used miles to book it costs to put the miles back into your account).

But Panina has a good point. Trying to find another major trip that has to be completed prior to March might be more stress than you want at this point. Could you use the airfare for some type of shorter trip, closer to home, that wouldn't take a lot of planning? Maybe that way you wouldn't loss everything. Again, you'd have to look at how much you might be charged to make the changes.

Yes she does.

And- yes. We have up to 72 hours to cancel Cable Mountain Lodge and get our $400 deposit back and the Las Vegas hotels also before they charge our credit card one night. Airline we can cancel up to the last day or so, so with that I could wait and hope that they make a change in the time.

As for an airline change fee I think it is like $150. I doubt we would do even a shorter trip (this one was 9 days only). The tickets were $1100 as it is. But- I suppose we could go to a place like Florida in the winter like everyone else does if we thought we wanted to and could.

Ironically we paid for extra travel insurance past what our credit card covers. But of course, this cancellation is not a covered reason. Though I should probably check myself into a hospital for anxiety! LOL! But then- we have a high deductible health plan so it will cost me more than the airline tickets! Scratch that idea! Ha! Ha!

My husband has not been feeling well so not into discussing things, but we kind of thought either we take this trip now or we let it go. We just remembered we both need to get colonoscopies done before the end of the year also. That requires him to take off twice- once for his own and once to be available to drive me to and from.

Like I said, too much going on in this short window of time.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I realize you are going to "eat" the airfare if you cancel, but look at the flip side: you are saving a ton of money by not going on the Utah trip.

Right! I said this also! Now I can instead pay the money for the movers and the darn town for the stupid permits and inspections and architect drawings they want for things that passed the inspections with flying colors! For our current house we are selling. YAY!

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I understand the frustration you are feeling. It is certainly disappointing to have plans fall through, and to lose money too. I first started writing with a reminder to look on the bright side. When you booked the trip, you never would have guessed you would now be in the process of discovering your retirement home. Then again, before you cancel, try to imagine taking the trip. Maybe it is still possible?

That is where we are at. We either go now or not at all anywhere in the short window of time we have to use the tickets. But we are still leaning towards cancelling for our own sanity.

I can live with giving up the trip but I hate losing the money since we are going through money like water right now between building a home and the bs we have to deal with with selling our home and the moving costs and the rental, etc. But- nothing we can really do about any of it.

Then again- we say- What if the closing on our house is delayed even past 9/30 heaven forbid? Then we will be so mad we cancelled it because frankly, we do not know when or if we will ever be able to go in the future. We are not big air travelers as it is. It takes a lot for us to do a trip like this. Really, the excitement has been zapped out of us right now with all the stress we have at this point in time.

But- maybe we were just not meant to go at all.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
That is where we are at. We either go now or not at all anywhere in the short window of time we have to use the tickets. But we are still leaning towards cancelling for our own sanity.

I can live with giving up the trip but I hate losing the money since we are going through money like water right now between building a home and the bs we have to deal with with selling our home and the moving costs and the rental, etc. But- nothing we can really do about any of it.

Then again- we say- What if the closing on our house is delayed even past 9/30 heaven forbid? Then we will be so mad we cancelled it because frankly, we do not know when or if we will ever be able to go in the future. We are not big air travelers as it is. It takes a lot for us to do a trip like this. Really, the excitement has been zapped out of us right now with all the stress we have at this point in time.

But- maybe we were just not meant to go at all.
When you said you have 72 hours to cancel Cabel Mountain Lodge, is that 72 hours before you are supposed to check in? If so, I might just wait and see what happens in case the closing on your house is delayed. Of course you'll still have to deal with the mental stress of waiting, of maybe having to take what might feel like a rushed trip. There is no easy answer for this.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Do you have any say about when the closing will be? If you could push it to after your planned trip, you could go and enjoy a break from all this house selling and building.
You probably can use a break.
Silentg

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have any say about when the closing will be? If you could push it to after your planned trip, you could go and enjoy a break from all this house selling and building.
You probably can use a break.
Silentg
MaryAnn has another long thread on this already. Pushing the date out may cause the sale to fall through so it is best not to do so.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
There are areas outside of San Francisco that you could visit. One mentioned was Yosemite. You could drive to Lake Tahoe. Go down the coast to the Monterey Peninsula. Drive up to Napa, Sonoma or Mendocino. SFO doesn't just serve San Francisco. Mentioned it because you want a nonstop flight.

agree with Luanne, Monterey Penninsula is a wonderful place to explore - Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park in Big Sur is definitely worth exploring and lots to do in the area, Salinas has the National Steinbeck Center, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Elk Horn Slough, Carmel...

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
agree with Luanne, Monterey Penninsula is a wonderful place to explore - Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park in Big Sur is definitely worth exploring and lots to do in the area, Salinas has the National Steinbeck Center, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Elk Horn Slough, Carmel...
And don't forget Point Lobos State Natural Reserve just south of Carmel.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Yes. I book Basic Economy since I have Lifetime status at United so some of the restrictions does not apply to me. But for regular passengers, I would not recommend booking Basic Economy as it's very restrictive.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Yes. I book Basic Economy since I have Lifetime status at United so some of the restrictions does not apply to me. But for regular passengers, I would not recommend booking Basic Economy as it's very restrictive.
That sounds impressive. How do you get Lifetime status?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We were there a couple of weeks ago. Many sea otters were frolicking in the water. Quite interesting to see...
We were there a couple of weeks ago as well! Wouldn't it be amazing if we were there at the same time. We were in Carmel from the 4th to the 8th.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I used to fly a lot for business. Not any more...:)
So did dh. But he never got Lifetime status. He was Premier, for awhile.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We were there a couple of weeks ago as well! Wouldn't it be amazing if we were there at the same time. We were in Carmel from the 4th to the 8th.
Next time when you are in town, please PM me...I think we were there at the end of July.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Next time when you are in town, please PM me...I think we were there at the end of July.
I will. We'll be in the area in December, but for a wedding so may not have a lot of free time. We'll be in Sunnyvale then. We'll be back in San Francisco before and after our next Maui trip which is end of February, beginning March. Waiting to confirm a second week before making flight plans.