• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need to make a decision on rescheduling UTAH trip

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So sadly we are probably going to cancel our UTAH trip we planned last year for this Sept. due to our house sale and moving. It is just too much to deal with and we are not into traveling right now and will be pressed for time. I am upset because I put a lot into it and fellow Tuggers also did as well!

I believe United Airlines would allow us a credit on the airfare up to one year.

My question is: if we rescheduled this trip for sometime in June 2020- how is the weather and crowds for Zion and Bryce? I think the easiest thing would be to just book the whole thing as we had it planned for this Sept.

This summer we already have our timeshares the last week of July and first week of August, as well as another timeshare week for Sept. So we have to plan around those.

Take into consideration that we will probably be moving to our new retirement home sometime the beginning of next year- so that is out as well.

Does not leave a lot of room for an extra trip- especially one that involves flying.

However, we are open to other suggestions or other places to visit. But we do like National Parks. Don't like extreme heat or crowds.

Thanks in advance.:(

Last edited:

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
For Bryce etc, June is too late in the year. You want to avoid school holidays. The parks will be crowded anyway, but after school is out, it is exponentially worse. Late April into May are very nice. So is the following late Sept into early October. However, with your move and the stress involved, plus the inevitable delays in construction, I'd keep it easy and close to home. Maybe explore the Great Lakes in the US and Canada or revisit old favorites in New England.

If you want to avoid crowds, I'd look at the lesser known National Park/Monument sites off season. Go to nps.gov and, under find a park, select any state and you will get a list of everything, large and small. Canada has the same thing. Once on their website, pick a province and see what is of interest. I did several trip like this around the SW:
northern AZ into New Mexico (Petrified Forest, El Moro NM, Pecos NHS, Tent Rocks, and Bandolier were my favorites)
the 4 Corners loop: Navajo NM, Natural Bridges, Hovenweep, Canyon of the Ancients (this one is a BLM National Monument) and especially Chaco Canyon were my favorites here (plus Canyon de Chelly).

Eastern CO and Northern Utah from Colorado NM (really liked this one) plus the better known ones out of Moab and then up to Dinosaur NP and Flaming Gorge.
Arizona: started in Sedona and followed up with a week in Tucson and hit a lot of various sites from the Grand Canyon to Organ Pipe Cactus and lots in between.

Sue

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
For Bryce etc, June is too late in the year. You want to avoid school holidays. The parks will be crowded anyway, but after school is out, it is exponentially worse. Late April into May are very nice. So is the following late Sept into early October. However, with your move and the stress involved, plus the inevitable delays in construction, I'd keep it easy and close to home. Maybe explore the Great Lakes in the US and Canada or revisit old favorites in New England.

If you want to avoid crowds, I'd look at the lesser known National Park/Monument sites off season. Go to nps.gov and, under find a park, select any state and you will get a list of everything, large and small. Canada has the same thing. Once on their website, pick a province and see what is of interest. I did several trip like this around the SW:
northern AZ into New Mexico (Petrified Forest, El Moro NM, Pecos NHS, Tent Rocks, and Bandolier were my favorites)
the 4 Corners loop: Navajo NM, Natural Bridges, Hovenweep, Canyon of the Ancients (this one is a BLM National Monument) and especially Chaco Canyon were my favorites here (plus Canyon de Chelly).

Eastern CO and Northern Utah from Colorado NM (really liked this one) plus the better known ones out of Moab and then up to Dinosaur NP and Flaming Gorge.
Arizona: started in Sedona and followed up with a week in Tucson and hit a lot of various sites from the Grand Canyon to Organ Pipe Cactus and lots in between.

Sue

We need to use the airfare, so New England would be out as we can drive. Maybe the Great Lakes or Canada, though. I fear April,and May would be too soon after our move and we can't do Sept/Oct due to our timeshare week being then and then the airfare credit expiring.

We have done Arizona, but are open to going back to Colorado. Have not done NM. One issue is I refuse to do a connecting flight so we need to go somewhere where we can go non stop.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
For the NM trip, we flew into Phoenix. Spend the night (or 2) somewhere up by Petrified Forest NP and then drive to Santa Fe the next day. We had time to stop at El Moro for a couple of hours on the way. So if Albuquerque is not a non-stop; try Phoenix.

Sue

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure when you BOOKED the trip (aka, paid for the ticket) but on a recent flight cancellation I was told that I had one year FROM THE TIME OF PURCHASE to use the credit that resulted from my cancellation. So if you had booked the ticket well in advance, you might have to use that credit up fairly quickly. Be sure to check with YOUR airline, might be the same, might not.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Given that the Utah parks tend to be crowded a lot throughout the year, I'd say just book the trip in June, and enjoy it however it plays out. Don't stress about it - I guarantee you will enjoy yourself. Even one person in front of me is a crowd, as far as I'm concerned.

Dave

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
One issue is I refuse to do a connecting flight so we need to go somewhere where we can go non stop.

Hi Mary Ann,

What airport will you be flying out of?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Hi Mary Ann,

What airport will you be flying out of?

More than likely it will have to be Boston, since Manchester is small and usually the flights are all connecting ones.

vmpt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coronado Beach Resort, Fox Run, Coral Reef Beach Resort, Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines, Marriott Barony Beach, Sand Pebbles Resort, Westin Lagunamar
We went to both Zion and Bryce this past June and had a great time in both places. Bryce had great weather during the day and was in the 40s at night. It wasn't very crowded there at all. Zion was warm and crowded, but hiking in the morning was great!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
More than likely it will have to be Boston, since Manchester is small and usually the flights are all connecting ones.
Flying out of Boston will pretty much let Santa Fe out. There are no non stop flights from Boston to ABQ. Jet Blue does a non stop from JFK to ABQ, but that doesn't help you with your United credit. Doesn't look like there are nonstops from Boston to Phoenix on United either. Lots of nonstops between Boston and Denver. How about somewhere around that area?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you go on the trip in May 2020 -- therefore eliminating the school crowds?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Maryanne, if you’ve never visited Michigan. I would highly recommend going to Traverse City and then using that as a base and visiting Charlevoix, Harbor Springs, Glen Arbor, Frankfort. This up north part of the state is amazing.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Can you go on the trip in May 2020 -- therefore eliminating the school crowds?

I am trying to stay away from Jan-May because we do not know when we will be moving to the new house and will need some breathing room/time to get at least a little settled.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Maryanne, if you’ve never visited Michigan. I would highly recommend going to Traverse City and then using that as a base and visiting Charlevoix, Harbor Springs, Glen Arbor, Frankfort. This up north part of the state is amazing.

Where do you fly into for that and how far from the airport is it?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Flying out of Boston will pretty much let Santa Fe out. There are no non stop flights from Boston to ABQ. Jet Blue does a non stop from JFK to ABQ, but that doesn't help you with your United credit. Doesn't look like there are nonstops from Boston to Phoenix on United either. Lots of nonstops between Boston and Denver. How about somewhere around that area?

LOL! That is what we ended up doing two years ago when United messed up our connecting flights to get to Durango. I vowed never to do connecting flights again- so we flew to Denver Instead direct and stayed in Estes Park.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
LOL! That is what we ended up doing two years ago when United messed up our connecting flights to get to Durango. I vowed never to do connecting flights again- so we flew to Denver Instead direct and stayed in Estes Park.
How about San Francisco? United flies nonstop from Boston.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Could do Yosemite.
Little over a 4 hour drive from SFO. Issue might be with booking a place to stay if you want to stay inside the park. From what I understand you almost need to book a year out.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks. But was there already and once was enough.
There are areas outside of San Francisco that you could visit. One mentioned was Yosemite. You could drive to Lake Tahoe. Go down the coast to the Monterey Peninsula. Drive up to Napa, Sonoma or Mendocino. SFO doesn't just serve San Francisco. Mentioned it because you want a nonstop flight.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Where do you fly into for that and how far from the airport is it?
You can fly directly into Cherry Capital Airpot in Traverse City or fly in DTW - Detroit Metro Airport and drive up to Traverse City

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Not sure when you BOOKED the trip (aka, paid for the ticket) but on a recent flight cancellation I was told that I had one year FROM THE TIME OF PURCHASE to use the credit that resulted from my cancellation. So if you had booked the ticket well in advance, you might have to use that credit up fairly quickly. Be sure to check with YOUR airline, might be the same, might not.

Gosh- that would really stink! I think I booked the airfare in February or March! And we hate going anywhere in winter! UGH! I will find out tomorrow.

This has never happened to us all these years of traveling We have been very fortunate to never have to cancel a vacation.

Always a first time for everything I guess. This whole moving thing has been a nightmare and getting worse day by day between packing hell, dealing with our #%^I&% town with permits and BS, writing out checks left and right with nothing to show for any of them- and we are the sellers! Like a bad dream I can't wake up from.

Selling a house and moving is not for the faint of heart. I never want to go through this again. Oh- wait- we have to move a second time from the rental to our permanent home when it is competed! Well- at least buying a home is easier than selling one!

If we can salvage this airfare and vacation somehow it will be a miracle. Hey- what's another $1100 wasted?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Gosh- that would really stink! I think I booked the airfare in February or March! And we hate going anywhere in winter! UGH! I will find out tomorrow.

This has never happened to us all these years of traveling We have been very fortunate to never have to cancel a vacation.

Always a first time for everything I guess. This whole moving thing has been a nightmare and getting worse day by day between packing hell, dealing with our #%^I&% town with permits and BS, writing out checks left and right with nothing to show for any of them- and we are the sellers! Like a bad dream I can't wake up from.

Selling a house and moving is not for the faint of heart. I never want to go through this again. Oh- wait- we have to move a second time from the rental to our permanent home when it is competed! Well- at least buying a home is easier than selling one!

If we can salvage this airfare and vacation somehow it will be a miracle. Hey- what's another $1100 wasted?
From the United website (looks like the credit is good for up to a year from date of purchase, and there is a fee):

"If your plans change and you prefer not to change your itinerary immediately, you may cancel the reservation and return to it to make changes for up to one year from the date of issue. A change fee may apply."

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
From the United website (looks like the credit is good for up to a year from date of purchase, and there is a fee):

"If your plans change and you prefer not to change your itinerary immediately, you may cancel the reservation and return to it to make changes for up to one year from the date of issue. A change fee may apply."

Yes- I just looked it up also. Sigh....