• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need suggestions for timeshares in New England - Octoberish

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I need suggestions for timeshare resorts in New England:

• I can exchange with II, RCI, and GPX. I particularly want to visit Boston and Philadelphia and see the fall leaves.

• I'm thinking that for Boston I will request Marriott Custom House, but would like other New England suggestions as well for a trip of 2-3 weeks.

• I have only been to New England once, and it wasn't a timeshare trip, so all advice is appreciated.

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Samoset would be nice for coastal Maine. We like the North Conway area (Eastern Slope, Attitash) or the I-93 corridor in NH (Lincoln has several timeshares, and our home resort of Cold Spring is in Ashland) It's been years since I've been to Bentley Brook, but we liked it well enough back then. Over in VT, Smugglers' Notch is wonderful, especially for leaf-peeping.

Big thing to remember is that New England timeshares are NOT like the fancy places in Hawaii/Florida. We Yankees are no-nonsense folk. :) Clean, neat, and no-frills is what you're likely to find.

Happy Planning!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

• I can exchange with II, RCI, and GPX. I particularly want to visit Boston and Philadelphia and see the fall leaves.

• I'm thinking that for Boston I will request Marriott Custom House, but would like other New England suggestions as well for a trip of 2-3 weeks.

• I have only been to New England once, and it wasn't a timeshare trip, so all advice is appreciated.
I think there is a vacation village in the berkshires

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I don't know this area at all - where are the Berkshires? What is there to do there? How far from Boston or Philadelphia?

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Berkshires are Northwestern Mass. Google maps says 155 miles from Bentley Brook to Custom House. Probably an area to be explored in its own right, rather than as a base for daytrips to Boston. Not far to Albany, NY or southern VT. There's a great Norman Rockwell museum in Stockbridge, a Shaker Museum in Hancock. I'm sure others who have visited more recently can chime in. We're headed this direction in April!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Anything closer to Philadelphia?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I don't know this area at all - where are the Berkshires? What is there to do there? How far from Boston or Philadelphia?
Berkshire’s are very far from philly. Closer to Boston.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I
Anything closer to Philadelphia?
d think Marriott fairway in NJ i think it’s called. That’s not far from Philly but closer to Atlantic City.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I did a leaf peeping trip in Oct about 10 years ago. We stayed at Inn Season Pollard Brook Oct 12-19 which was perfect for the color. It's at one end of the Kancamagus highway which is leaf peeping central. We arrived on Columbus Day weekend which is prime leaf peeping and the highway was very crowded. But they all left and we then had a very enjoyable time driving all over. We followed that with a week at Harbor Ridge which is in Acadia National Park. The week before was the end of the season so things were closed when we were there, but it wasn't so crowded. The leaves were fading but still around. I actually think it was pretty good timing given how crowded some places still were.
I used a high value week to get the Pollard Brook and a low value one for the Harbor Ridge. Pollard Brook was a 1 BR with a Murphy bed and Harbor Ridge were townhouses. Both were middle of the road accommodations but we were there for the locations and didn't care about the activities.

mauitraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see availability in II for Brewster and East Falmouth (both in MA) for early October. Have any Tuggers been there for the Fall foliage season? Years ago we visited Ogunquit, which we really enjoyed, but that's up in Maine. CJ

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
A couple questions to help me narrow it down
1. Just adults?
2. Preference: Arts, culture, history, city. Or nature, mountains, scenery
3. Food/Restaurant a consideration. Like a lot of dining options?

side note: I assume you know philly is not New England. But since you are mixing I thought I would mention.

Last edited:

missyrcrews

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The closest timeshares to Philly will be in the Poconos, which will be great leaf-peeping.
Yes...a nice area, too. Most of the timeshares in that area are even older/more rustic than New England. We've stayed at Shawnee twice, Tanglwood once, and Eagle Village at Tamiment once. Shawnee is the closest to I80.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Since Boston is your wish destination hopefully you will get a trade there. I stood at the Marriott and the location is great.

Otherwise I would consider Maine. If your lucky enough to match for Main 84 in Kennebunk Maine I would take it. Innseason in Wells is another alternative but not as high end. Either you can take the train to Boston for day visits.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Riverwalk in Lincoln NH is very nice. Rci.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We have stayed at Carriage House in the Pocconos, PA and Berkshire Mountain Village, in Pittsfield, Ma and Oak and Spruce in Lee MA. They were all nice but best of the three was Oak and Spruce. We went in spring and summer but not in fall when foliage is best.
Silentg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A couple questions to help me narrow it down
1. Just adults?
2. Preference: Arts, culture, history, city. Or nature, mountains, scenery
3. Food/Restaurant a consideration. Like a lot of dining options?

1. 2 Adults only
2. ALL - but first priority is history and leaf peeping.
3. We will eat in most of the time, when a kitchen is available.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

Berkshires-
Oak & Spruce mentioned by @silentg is HICV - (originally Silvsrleaf)
It is very near the Lee Mass. exit off the Mass.Pike (I 90). (there is a decent outlet mall at the exit .)

Google Maps says Lee to Cooperstown is 2 hours / 116 miles
[ see DeniseM - former avatar & thread & “ Our fat third baseman is now ......] 2016

Lee Mass has some nice restaurants. & has transitioned to 2nd home / tourism from it’s roots as a New England mill town.

nearby: Lenox - Stockbridge -Great Barrington - Lakeville Conn.
Mass MoCA - ( Museum of Contemp. Art) is in North Adams .
summer - Tanglewood - Lenox / summer home of the Boston Symphony

everywhere. - LOTS of fall leaf colour.

Other places with timeshares in the vicinity of Boston .

Newport RI - (70 miles) - Ocean Cliff I& II (Interval) various Wyndhams
Cape Cod - Yarmouth Mass (70 miles) - Holly Tree TS & The Cove TS

Last edited:

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see availability in II for Brewster and East Falmouth (both in MA) for early October. Have any Tuggers been there for the Fall foliage season? Years ago we visited Ogunquit, which we really enjoyed, but that's up in Maine. CJ
Hi...I own at Brewster Green...nice refurbished units and off a golf course. Very close to route 6A to see the sights. Brewster is a lively little village. A great case to explore the cape.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow - Thanks for all the great info!

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been giving this a bit of thought, as a local and what I would consider ideal October in the area.

For leaf peeping views that simply put you in awe of your surroundings it is best to be in the mountains. The ideal location would be a place nestled in the Mountains, with roads that lead around and through the mountain ranges and offer a variety of trailheads and scenic overlooks. Peek is "usually" around Columbus day weeks for both mid NH and VT. The cape in MA and coastal Maine are nice, but would not give you the experience of leaf peeping in the mountains (I'm not sure about the Berkshires).

Being familiar with NH, I can give you suggestions for this. I'm sure others can comment on VT. These suggestions surround the idea White Mountain national park is the best area in NH as your base location. NOTE: Columbus Day weekend will be in very high demand and the popular roads, scenic overlooks, etc will be crowded. But it is still usually the prime week to go. If you catch "peek" which sometimes only last for a few days, it is incredible. With that in mind here are the resorts I would pick.

First options because these are in town, better resorts and you can spend the long weekend walking to most of what you want to do or taking very short drive. Use the rest of the week when crowds are lower to get in your car and explore.
II: South Mountain in Lincoln
RCI: South Mountain or Riverwalk in Lincoln. Eastern Slope in North Conway.

Second option for better resorts, but would require you to get into your car to find a restaurant, shopping, etc.
II: Pollard Brook in Lincoln.
RCI: Suites at Attitash

There are other resorts in the White Mountain national park area that I would consider if these are not available.

Your other week for more city, arts, culture, history. The top and probably only one in the area is Custom House in Boston (another hard exchange).

Going back to...as a local, what would I do to explore New England:
One week in the mountains (either NH or VT)
One week in Boston
The last week would not be TS, it would be a spend exploring different areas for a couple nights. Keep in mind this area is tiny, I can hit 3 states within an hour drive! Suggestions for this would be a few nights in Coastal Maine, Newport, RI and then Mystic CT.

Last edited:

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you still planning this? I posted a sighting today at Pollard Brook in NH (rci) that may work for you.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We did a September/October trip a couple of years ago. I'd always wanted to see New England in the fall, and it didn't disappoint one bit.

We spent a week in Newport, RI at Wyndham's Long Wharf and thought it was great. The grand homes were fascinating, and the beach towns with unbelievably good seafood like https://www.rhodyoysters.com/ in Matanuck make us want to go back. The weather was great, but not a lot of fall color.

We loved Marriott's Custom House. It's very comfortable and in a fantastic location where you can walk and explore the history of Boston. The metro station is just down the street if you want to explore galleries and museums further afield. Boston definitely merits longer than a week.

Did another week in Smuggler's Notch and loved that as well. We hiked in the "mountains" (I'm a western girl, so they seemed like hills to me - but the fall colors were brilliant!), visited wineries and breweries, Shelburne Museum, Ben & Jerry's, Rock of Ages Granite Quarry, Lake Champlain, and just enjoyed exploring all the towns along the byways. I'm not a good photographer, but I made my husband stop all the time, just so I could get out of the car and gasp at how beautiful the multi-hued hills were!

Another week in the amazing top floor 3BR suite at Maine 84 in Kennebunk, ME. We did a lot of wandering the back roads trying to find the best lobster roll in Maine. We loved the coastline, were impressed by President Bush's compound, shopped for antiques, and walked the beaches. Driving through towns to us was like squirrels to a hunting dog - we always found something that caught our attention and made us stop to explore.

While we were in the area, we decided to drive up to Montreal (stayed in a B&B in Vieux Montreal), then wandered down (up?) the St Lawrence River road all around to Gaspe, then down to Prince Edward Island, back down to Campobello (one of FDR's homes), then back through Hyde Park (Teddy Roosevelt's home) to finish up our trip.

I can't wait to go back! Our next trip back east is to Hershey, PA, NYC, then on to Cape Cod.

sfwilshire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
We deposited our 2020 Tristram's Landing on Nantucket October week with RCI. It has probably already been taken, but you could look. It's a 3-br standalone cottage. You could fly into Boston, spend some time there, and then take a (very nice) bus to the ferry in Hyannis (or fly over).

October is actually our favorite time of year to visit Nantucket, but we started going to the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque every year and it falls the same week as our October interval. The tourists have mostly left by October, though they do seem to have tons of weddings that month on the island. It can be chilly some days, but the cottage has a fireplace. Not right on the beach, but a hearty walk or easy drive from several beaches.

Sheila