• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need suggestions for timeshares in New England - Octoberish

nerodog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I need suggestions for timeshare resorts in New England:

• I can exchange with II, RCI, and GPX. I particularly want to visit Boston and Philadelphia and see the fall leaves.

• I'm thinking that for Boston I will request Marriott Custom House, but would like other New England suggestions as well for a trip of 2-3 weeks.

• I have only been to New England once, and it wasn't a timeshare trip, so all advice is appreciated.

Hi all,

I grew up and lived in New England most of my life. The Berkshires are the far western part of the state. With that said, vacation village and Bentley brook are located. A bit out if the way but good for day tripping to southern Vt lije Newfane , Manchester, Bennington . In Mass, you can head over to Lenox , Stockbridge Lee outlets and town. Further east visit Northampton or Deerfield where the Yankee candle is located. If you decide for the Cape, route 6 A is a pleasant drive to Brewster, Orleans Truro, National seashore, Ptown and Wellfleet ! We love Vt and route 100 is a great meandering route with the Vt country store in Weston. Distances are not too great. From Philadelphia , its 6 hours to Springfield , Ma. If you have further questions please PM.

NHpauls

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
if it’s colorful leaves you want: mountains of NH or VT. “Have you ever seen a mountain blush?”
VT: The drive thru the notch to get to Smugglers Notch is something you will NEVER forget! We love Smuggs. An hours drive to Burlington VT and Lake Champlain for a day trip. Few hours north to Montreal.
NH: Lincoln area has several great condo’s. N.Conway area (Attitash Suites).

If you are thinking of this year, you may not find something. The season is early-Oct to mid-Oct and most places are taken. After Oct 13 you will find beautiful yellow leaves on the ground while you hike.

Mass: Cape is great but there are only a few trees and no hills. The Berkshire Mt’s in western Mass: we enjoyed the Rockwell Museum (do a tour with a guide), huge Yankee Candle flagship store (wonderful rooms in diff themes), live theater, Butterfly Place (one landed right on my nose!).

I agree: few days in Boston, drive to Berkshires for couple days, drive to stay a week in NH or VT, couple days along Maine coast, then drive back to Boston (or fly out of Portland, ME)

Philly is not NewEngland .... to me that would be a diff trip. Also, there isn’t much to see on the day-long drive to Boston.
Hope you find something & enjoy the best place ev-ah! (Grew up in s.Calif, lived 12 years mid-west, then moved to NewEngland at age 25. Not moving away, I love it here!

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more thought... Samoset resort in mid Maine is a nice point to go in any direction... southern Maine, Kennebunkport, Oqunquit, head to Boothbay..Freeport with LLBean.

JerseyJim

Reaction score
I see availability in II for Brewster and East Falmouth (both in MA) for early October. Have any Tuggers been there for the Fall foliage season? Years ago we visited Ogunquit, which we really enjoyed, but that's up in Maine. CJ
if you can trade into the Marriott in Boston ,I suggest that. The Berkshires are a couple of hours away from Boston at minimum. There should be many options on Cape Cod in the fall and there are buses that go to Boston and to the Airport. You can drive to Plymouth and take a commuter train. If you can get into southern NH that could work too. I live 15 miles south of Boston and know the area.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Since you want to see Boston, you are better off staying in Massachusetts (or Rhode Island or Connecticut, or in central/southern NH) for that. In Boston would be best, of course, so you can walk as driving and parking there is hell.

Also- in southern Maine possibly. Vermont is my favorite New England state but it is too far from Boston.

Philadelphia is not in New England. It is in a mid-Atlantic state. Stay in PA for that.

Honestly unless you are going to be here for a month, you will not have time to see everything New England has to offer. There is a lot of driving, as most of it is rural!

Vermont is my favorite New England state followed by New Hampshire, now my home. But all the New England states are beautiful and have their own vibe. As far as BIG cities go (and I am from NY), Boston is my favorite, though I have never been to Phili. Burlington, VT fav small city.

So if I were you I would stay in Boston for 3 days and maybe stay in Newport, RI for a couple of days. Then head out to the Cape and spend some time there and then head up to Coastal Maine. (Acadia National Park would be awesome, but it is a drive up there). If you still have more time, head to the lakes region of NH (now my home) and explore and into the White Mountains as well and stay up there for a few days (lots to see and do there). We own at Innseason Pollard Brook and perfect spot for seeing the area. Also there in Lincoln is Riverwalk, a high end resort you might like if you can get in. Blue Green South Mountain is really nice also and you are right in town with those two. Nice thing about Lincoln is it is right off the main highway making traveling easy. North Conway is also nice (Eastern Slope Inn) but gets way crowded and is off the beaten path so to speak. Still- a lot to see on that end also and easy to get to from Maine. If you come in mid Sept. the Scottish Highland Games 3 day event goes on in Lincoln which is a lot of fun- the games, the music- I love it! Held at Loon Mountain- you really feel like you are in Scotland!

If you still can manage more time (and Energy!), then head to northern Vermont from there to Burlington and the Lake Champlain Islands area (with gorgeous views of New York's Adirondack National Forest across my favorite Lake Champlain- lots of history associated with the lake). But anywhere in Vermont is beautiful if you like quaint and scenery. Smugglers Notch Resort is 2 hours from the White Mountains. Stowe is a nice little town there on the other side of the notch. You could also stay at the Von Trapp Family Lodge right in Stowe.

The week leading into Columbus Day weekend is best for leaf peeping imo.

Last edited:

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 on MDurette's suggestions.

Another real NE thing is that we tell distance in time. As the crow flies, I live 55 miles from Boston. My relatives in Illinois think that means it is an hour to Boston and it is, at 2:00 in the morning. 3 hours on a Friday afternoon. I think that's why we always try to explain that nothing is really as close as it looks. I went to a conference in Providence and met a woman from Georgia (clearly not Atlanta). She had flown into Providence but the only return flight she could get was out of Boston on Friday afternoon. She was planning to take a cab to Boston because it was only 50 miles away. I kept saying it was closer to two and a half hours away no matter what the miles. My saying time for distance made her a bit crazy. My husband and I offered to drive her and when, two and a half hours later we entered the airport, it made a bit more sense to her. Of course, you in California are no strangers to traffic but we look so "cute and close" that we feel the need to explain.

Denise, I hope that you find what you are looking for in New England. Might be a little late but who knows?

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Newport, RI is one of our favorite destinations. We have also stayed at the Long Warf, which has an ideal location. There is an excellent Marriott hotel almost next door if you cannot book the timeshare. If you like history, you will have hit the goldmine. We visited the church where JFK ane Jackie got married, toured the Touro Synagogue, where a George Washington gave a famous address, toured the historic mansions, and looked at the cruise ships. We purchased two paintings made by a local artist that we have prominently displayed in our home. We will be going to The Trapp Family Lodges in Vermont, in June 2021.

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
="nerodog, post: 2392735, member]….Brewster Green...nice refurbished units and off a golf course. Very close to route 6A to see the sights. Brewster is a lively little village. A great case to explore the cape.
Agreed, but as a former (year round) resident of lower Cape Cod, I must note that this is definitely NOT a prime (or even a decent) area to see fall foliage. Lower Cape vegetation / trees are mostly scrub pine and scrub oak, neither of which yield any of the stunning fall colors exhibited by deciduous trees (maples, etc.) and it would be a relatively long drive off Cape Cod to see fall colors of any significance.

I mention this only because OP made specific reference to seeing fall colors as an objective of a New England visit and Cape Cod would be a uniquely poor choice for achieving that particular objective.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Anything closer to Philadelphia?

We stayed in Atlantic City on our second week of a mid Atlantic trip. Started in Manhattan and then picked up a car and drove to Atlantic City. We stayed at the Flagship. We did drive to Philly a couple of times. It was interesting. Lots to see in the area. We went in late September and had very good weather.

Bill

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steele Hill East Sanbornton NH, Summer Bay Clermont FL, Cape Winds Resort Hyannis MA, Cape Cod Holiday Estates Mashpee MA, Village of Loon Lincoln NH
I need suggestions for timeshare resorts in New England:

• I can exchange with II, RCI, and GPX. I particularly want to visit Boston and Philadelphia and see the fall leaves.

• I'm thinking that for Boston I will request Marriott Custom House, but would like other New England suggestions as well for a trip of 2-3 weeks.

• I have only been to New England once, and it wasn't a timeshare trip, so all advice is appreciated.
Great views of foliage in the fall at Steele Hill resort in Sanbornton NH. Lakes region. They have a viewing area in the west building with the awesome pool. The tower (request a key to get up it). You can see VT, NH, MA views in all directions on s clear day. They have hiking trails, a free 9 hole golf course (not sure when it closes for the season). Less than 2 hours from Boston and if you go further north 93 to see beautiful foliage, nearby you can go to Gunstock, Zipline or further north White Mountains. I own at Steele Hill and summers they have free campsites. Winter's have free snowmobiling trails. Lincoln NH on Kancamagus highway Village of Loon is a nice resort also one I own to ski in the winter.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
We love Bentley Brook in the Berkshires. The leaves are beautiful in the fall
Lovely resort , lots of nice towns to visit like Lenox , Stockbridge, and a nice drive up through Vermont to Newfane or Manchester.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also an hour wast you hit route 91 and Northampton, Deerfield Anherst are,all nice for foliage.

e.bram

Reaction score
Surfside in E Falmouth, Ma. full kitchen ,indoor, and outdoor pools.
Newport Overlook Jamestown, RI. Full townhouse water front and full kitchen

e.bram

Reaction score
Surfside in E Falmouth, Ma. full kitchen ,indoor, and outdoor pools.
Newport Overlook Jamestown, RI. Full townhouse water front and full kitchen

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Leaf peeping, like July, is high season. Few vacancies, high prices. We dodge that by going in September. Same scenery (except for the leaves, but I grew up with that in Vermont) and the temperatures are better...barring hurricanes. And the fried clams, oysters, scallops, and lobsters are just as good.
If you can get into Marriott's Custom House, you will love it. We have stayed there 3 times and have a week booked on our way back from Spain in April. It's a very pleasant area to walk around in, now that the Big Dig buried all the steel girders and associated traffic. Warning: Do not take a car to Boston. Parking at the Marriott is $45/day.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks to all for the great information on this thread. I am planning to semi-retire in 2023, which will allow DW and me to visit New England in October 2023. All of the information provided here has given me a good list of resorts to make an advanced request with a trade through II for one of our Hyatt properties. I'm interested in anchoring our stay in northern New England--either in Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, or Maine.

Our objective will be primarily to see the fall colors (we get excited about seeing a few October Glory maples turn color here in Northern California, so seeing forests of hardwoods will be amazing). We also want to just soak in the culture of New England in the fall. For example, doing a few of these things if we're in reasonable proximity: visiting the Vermont Country Store or L.L. Bean; finding the best lobster rolls; visiting places like Stockbridge (Norman Rockwell), Plymouth (Plimoth Plantation), Olde Sturbridge Village, the Freedom Trail in Boston; the Bush Compound in Kennebunkport.

I realize that these places are spread across northern New England and we won't be able to see it all over a 7-10 day trip. I also plan to go leaf peeping during weekdays and stay close to the resort (wherever that may be) during the weekend(s) that we're there.

One more thing: while we're not afraid of driving, the idea of being stuck in traffic to get anywhere is not our idea of a vacation--so I am guessing that staying far afield of larger population centers will be a good idea.

Here are my questions:

1. If I am planning on a trip in the first two weeks of October, what location(s) are most likely to have peak colors for that time of year?
2. If I put in an advance request now--about a year and a half before I plan to go--how likely am I to get even the toughest resorts in a trade, given that I'm wanting to go during a period of peak demand?
3. Since my target list right now is pretty broad--across four New England states--are there certain attractions I did not list above or, alternatively, attractions I did list which are overly touristy and not worth the trouble that I should be aware of in order to prioritize my advance request?

Thanks in advance to all of the knowledgeable TUGgers who are always so helpful with these kinds of questions.

One more thing: even though I'm a born and bred Californian, I did live on Cape Cod in the mid-Eighties while working for Ocean Spray and grew to love the Celtics. I LOVED the thrashing they gave Brooklyn in the NBA Playoffs. I'd love to see them reach the Finals, but if it turns out to be a Celtics-Warriors Finals, I'll be rooting for both teams. Ugh.

JeffC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Mauna Loa Village, Sweetwater at Kauai, Club La Costa
I’d suggest staying in New Hampshire. That would place you a reasonable distance from the Maine coast, Vermont, the Berkshires and the Boston Area. When it comes to the colors keep in mind that elevation as well as latitude is a factor. Higher elevations will turn earlier. I’ve stayed at Pollard Brook, Suites at Attitash, Mittersil and Village of Winnipesaukee. The Laconia/Lake Winnipesaukee area is more centrally located but I can’t recommend VOW as a TS. It’s a bare bones as place to stay.

Last edited:

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
NH or Vt will probably have more color during your stay. It really droends on the weather too... I was in northern Vt and the color was just starting in late Sept. Ll bean is a hike on mid Maine for the flagship store but there are many branches throughout NE.

Sturbridge Village is a nice day trip depending on your base and as is VT country store in Weston. Rockwell museum is down the other end about 2 hrs ride from Sturbridge. Once you get your base or bases... 2 TS ?? It will be easier to plan. I'd be pleased to offer suggestions as I lived in MA most of my life.

Sanwang

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Exploria Pocono mountains, Summer Bay, Grand Palms Resort MB, Grande Villas Resort
Yes...a nice area, too. Most of the timeshares in that area are even older/more rustic than New England. We've stayed at Shawnee twice, Tanglwood once, and Eagle Village at Tamiment once. Shawnee is the closest to I80.
Some of the Pocono mountain villas by Exploria are remodeled and very nice.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
1. If I am planning on a trip in the first two weeks of October, what location(s) are most likely to have peak colors for that time of year? In a typical foliage year, something central VT or NH would be perfect. We have stayed in Lincoln, NH the weeks leading up/after Columbus day and it has been peek season.
2. If I put in an advance request now--about a year and a half before I plan to go--how likely am I to get even the toughest resorts in a trade, given that I'm wanting to go during a period of peak demand? I think you should obtain, the weeks I have secured during this time period I usually find in open inventory.
3. Since my target list right now is pretty broad--across four New England states--are there certain attractions I did not list above or, alternatively, attractions I did list which are overly touristy and not worth the trouble that I should be aware of in order to prioritize my advance request? If your top priority is foliage, I would drop MA and coastal ME from the list of states and focus on NH and VT with NH being the preferred because it borders all your options and you can always take an extended day trips to other states. A decent mix of culture and foliage may be to do the 10 days. Fly into Boston and spend a couple nights there and then head north for a TS week to catch the foliage.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to reply. Very helpful.