• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need some quick advice

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to Frenchman's Cove in October for four nights with another couple. I was able to get the four nights at $250 a night (plus tax) using the "MOD" code on Marriott.com. So for $125 a night per couple its a good deal. That was several months ago that I booked it. I just saw online on II that I could use my AC that same week and it would cost us $299 all-in. I know we don't need the unit for the full week but the positive is the last day we do not have to check out early...our flight leaves in the PM.

What do you guys think? Since we are using OUR AC should I charge my neighbors the $299 or just split it with them? I want to be fair of course but again we are using the Cert for a joint vacation. Bottom line savings per couple if we split the AC cost would be $350 a couple (would have cost $500 each now will cost $150). Do you know if you pay daily taxes, etc. using an AC?

Would you use the AC in this situation or save it for something else with just your own family? I have until 9/2009 to use it.

On another note I would think it fair either way for my wife and I to occupy the master and the other couple would occupy the other BR. Because of our TS ownership we are getting a bonus rate either way we go. The rack rate is something like $700 a night!!!

Bottom line how do you handle "sharing" your weeks and bonus weeks with others? Also do you guys typically utilize exchanged weeks/AC's for stays less than a full week?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
My take is that, assuming the other two are your friends, you should split the $299 cost, along with other joint costs, assuming you use your AC. The AC was a bonus for depositing your week and didn't cost you anything extra. So split your total cost. Just tell them you found a better deal that benefits both of you.

If I were your timeshare-newbie guest and found out you stuck me with the total $299 cost, I would likely be unhappy, no matter how you explained it to me.

Whether you should use your AC for this trip or save it is something only you and your spouse can decide, based on whether you believe you will have a better use for it before it expires.

What's "fair" for assigning bedrooms is up to you. When I take guests, I often give them the master suite as a treat, especially if they haven't previously had the joy of a timeshare stay.

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave I took your advice and booked the stay using my AC....we will split the cost which is fair. My wife and I will definitely take the Master though!!!! ;)

Couple of questions:

1. Do you get 24 hours to cancel without penalty just like a regular exchange?
2. Are there daily taxes and fees associated with AC use? If so and if we check out after four nights will we be paying taxes/fees for the other three nights?
3. Has anyone bought trip insurance using an AC? The cost was $64 dollars so for $32 a couple it might be worth it to protect against a hurricane, etc. I read the particulars but not sure what compensation you would get for an AC.

Thanks!

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
1. Yes, you can cancel any II transaction within 24 hours.

2. Generally, not, although some resorts and governmental jurisdictions levy such fees/taxes. You shouldn't be charged such fees for dates that you don't occupy, assuming you give them your checkout date when you arrive.

3. Generally, trip insurance reimburses you for your nonrefundable costs. In this case, your lodging costs would be $299. If that's your only cost, insurance wouldn't be worthwhile. (An insurance cost of $64 - 21% - to protect a fee of $299) Whether your insurance policy would cover other costs would depend on the terms of the policy. As an example, for plane tickets, it's likely that any residual value to your plane tickets to take another trip if you have to cancel would not be covered. Also, your policy will probably cover only your costs. Your friends would have to get their own policy, if they choose to do so.

gores95

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave!

I am still curious how others handle using their weeks when it comes to going away for a few weeks or sharing with others. We do plan on giving a week away to my brother and his fiance for their honeymoon.

MacDaddy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I imagine you could do it any way you feel comfortable, depending on your traveling companions. We've used an AC to stay for 4 nights in San Diego with my brother-in-law's family - we paid the AC fee, he rented the car. IMO, if you like the people enough to travel and stay in the same unit with them, I'd find it hard not to be pretty fair about sharing costs.

As for the master bedroom, we've done it both ways - used it ourselves when we're sharing our own unit, given it away other times. A major criterion is who needs access to a master bath the most - when we've traveled with families with toddlers, we've given them the master so they have direct access to the bath.

I've used ACs several times for less than 1 week stays and even long weekends when they would have otherwise expired. YMMV.

Bill4728

Reaction score
More than 1/2 the time, my ACs expire without my using them. So most of the time I never worry about using an AC for a short 3-4 day stay.