• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 29 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Come check it out for a chance to win a Free TUG membership (or renewal) just for helping out!

Read more here
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars
  • Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
  • Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! 60,000+ subscribers! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Info about Washington DC

Reaction score
I need some help about going to Washington DC. A little backgroound. My wife and her best friend are wanting to go to the DC area this spring or summer. My friends wife lost her husband of 50 years recently and I thought a trip might be nice for both of them because they have always wanted to see DC. The ladies are 65 and 70 but in excellent health and condition. However, they will be traveling alone. They will be renting a car at the airport for the week they are there. I want to find them a resort that would be close to DC and maybe Williamsburg. We are RCI points members and have done a lot of exchanges but never back east. Here is what I need recommendations for from someone who has been there.:

1. A nice RCI resort close to Williamsburg or DC so they could see both and maybe make day trips out of.
2. Which airport should they fly into.
3. Best time of year to avoid crowds and hope for good weather.
4. Any other advice you might think hepful.

Thanks a lot.

Mike Smalley

stugy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike
You have several options. One is to stay in Alexandria at the Fairfield, a tough trade though. And also, you would be a good distance from Williamsburg even though just a quick subway ride into D.C. If you stay in Williamsburg, you are in a great area also, but a good distance from Washington D.C.
I think one of your best options is to stay at Presidential Resort at Chancellorsville outside of Fredericksburg. You are about 2 hours from Williamsburg and an hour from Washington. We stayed there last year and our daughter and grandchildren took the tour offered by the resort for 2 days. It cost about $34 for an adult and you leave about 7 in the a.m. you will see all the monuments in Washington, plus Arlington Cemetary, etc. They even got to see money being printed. The second day was I believe $25 because they were dropped off at Smithsonian and then picked up at the end of the day. I believe they were home about 6;30 so it is a full day. You cannot drive in Washington because of traffic, etc. This beat using the train or subway which would have entailed lots of walking, in addition to the fact that both cost more money. Both days were very enjoyable for them and my daughter said the woman who gave the tour was excellent.
They might want to think about a 10 day trip with a week in this area as Fredericksburg offers a lot to see also. And then 3 days or so in Williamsburg for all that historical touring.
Or they could stay a week at Fairfield Alexandria and then several days in Williamsburg. I think commuting back and forth either way is exhausting even for younger folks.
I would plan this for late April or May for the best weather. D.C. and Williamsburg can be stiffling hot in the summer.
Hope this helps
Pat:clap:

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
They should fly into Dulles or Reagan-National. Dulles will probably have more available flights because they are a much bigger and busier airport. A key time for tourists is the "Cherry Blossom Festival". It is usally towards the end of march. Google it to find out when it will be in 2009. It is extremely busy in DC at that time and hard to get hotels etc. There are also special events during the Cherry Blossom Festival.

I worked in DC for over 20 years. Before that I went to college in DC. Spring has the best weather over all and the tidal basin and monuments look their prettiest because the park and monument areas all have beautiful flowers and shrubbery at that time of year.

I understand the desire to do Williamsburg and DC on the same trip. I think a bus tour of DC will get your friends short changed. DC has some of the best attractions in the world such as the Smithsonian (which is made up of numerous museums) and the Air and Space Museum etc. The Cocoran Art Gallery should not be missed. The botanical gardens are beautiful. There are fabulous restaurants and places to leisurely stroll around such as Dupont Circle and Georgetown. Adams Morgan area has a wonderful collection of ethnic restaurants representing culinary traditions from around the world. The National Zoo is also beautiful in the spring.

There are many shows that are available at the Kennedy Center or Lisner Auditorium or the National Theater.

I think the two friends will have a wonderful time if they spent a minimum of one week in DC. A bus tour does DC a disservice. There is a open air trolly, get on get off, that runs from Union Station and is pretty inexpensive. It is a good way to hit the major sites and spend time at them or go back later. DC is much much more then the monuments.

Driving into DC and parking in DC can be a real pain. I suggest that they stay as close to town or in town if possible. DC has a great, clean, safe metro system. If they cannot stay in town they should try to stay near a metro station.

Deb from NC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would split the trip and spend a week in DC and 5 days or so in Williamsburg.
FF Alexandria is a great resort (we are owners there) if you can get in. You can fly into DC, take the Metro to King Street in Alexandria and never have to drive. (The metro is a much better way to get around DC...don't even try to drive!)
If you can't get FF Alexandria, I would suggest a hotel in or near DC. Anything close to the metro would be a plus. SO much to do in DC...you wont' make a dent in it in a week!
Then, when done in DC, I would rent a car to drive to and get around in Williamsburg. My favorite resort there is Marriott Manor Club, but I'm sure there are a lot of great resorts available thru RCI as well....
Both destinations are wonderful, but there's much more to do in DC !
Have fun,
Deb

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I grew up in Williamsburg and now live in the DC area. The best weather months are mid-late April through May and October. These are the best by far.

Washington and Williamsburg with be fairly busy during the good weather months, but not like it gets in the summer.

DC can take a full week of exploration if you want to see things in the surrounding area like Mount Vernon, Civil War battlefields, Baltimore (great day trip). If you just want to see the monuments, you can do the major ones in a couple days.

Williamsburg, Jamestown, Yorktown can also take a week. You could do a very condensed vist in two days.

Flying into Reagan is by far the best option for a DC trip. Dulles and BWI are good options also and are about the same distance from the downtown area of DC.

Another very inexpensive option for getting back and forth from Williamsburg to DC is the Amtrak that takes you from either Union Station or Alexandria to Williamsburg. You really need a car for Williamsburg, but unless you want to go to the surrounding areas, a car can be an expensive and inconvenient extra in DC.

I wouldn't recommend staying half way between both. You'll just drive a lot more than you need to.

If I were picking based on my own preferences, I'd stay for a total of two entire weeks one in each. If I could only stay in one, it would definitely be DC first with Williamsburg second. You could always fly in to DC and stay one or two days on either/both ends of the Williamsburg trip and drive there.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Good advice given to do this as two smaller trips rather than trying to stay between Williamsburg and DC and doing day trips in either direction.

I used to live in F-burg and Williamsburg is about 100 miles southeast and DC while only 50 miles, is more like two hours due to traffic.

I have stayed at the Wyndham Alexandria and the Metro is very convenient from there to most of the places folks will want to visit while in DC. No car necessary in my opinion.

Then find something down in Williamsburg, where they will want/need a car. Hopefully they will not be intimidated by the DC/Metro traffic from Alexandria down to Williamsburg. My midwestern hubby refuses to drive in VA because of the volume of cars and the insanity around. Having growing up in the area, it doesn't phase me a bit, however, so he just sits back and enjoys the ride . . . sorta.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Parking is a real issue in DC I would suggest you have them take one of the bus tours while they are there. There is so much to see. There is a lot with in walking distance but the walk can be long. Along with all of the memorials the Smithsonian Museums are a sight to see. http://www.si.edu/museums/ We also enjoyed the Holocaust Museum. http://www.ushmm.org/visit/ We went the week after Spring Break and the weather was perfect. Warm but not humid.

Last edited: