• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need idea for munchies for Halloween party

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm bringing "munchies" for a Halloween party. Not sweet, but savory - and more creative than veggies and dip or chips and salsa.

I looked online (Google is my friend) and saw some cheese balls that looked like brains and deviled eggs that looked like green eyeballs.....I don't want to get quite that creepy.

I know someone in TUG Lounge-Land can help!

Hmmm.....is there a mini-mini pie maker for little tartlets? :)

PJ

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I like hot bean dip in a crock pot:

1 can refried beans
1 jar salsa
1-2 c grated cheese

Heat in the microwave and stir until smooth (heat - stir - heat - stir.)

Then put it in the crockpot to keep warm at the party - serve with chips.

Aram sandwiches are also easy and popular around here - I use overlapping jumbo flour tortillas for the wrap and spread them with something like ranch dressing, mayo, sour cream, or Miricle Whip to stick everything together. if you make them the night before and wrap the rolls tightly in foil, they stick together quite well for slicing the next day.

aram-platter.jpg

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Spiced Pecans, make them the day of the party

SPICED PECANS

Makes about 2 cups.

INGREDIENTS
2cups raw pecan halves (8 ounces)
Warm Spice Mix
2tablespoons granulated sugar
3/4teaspoon kosher salt
1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8teaspoon ground cloves
1/8teaspoon ground allspice
Rum Glaze
1tablespoon rum , preferably dark
2teaspoons vanilla extract
1teaspoon light brown sugar or dark brown sugar
1tablespoon unsalted butter
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread pecans in even layer; toast 4 minutes, rotate pan, and continue to toast until fragrant and color
deepens slightly, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer cookie sheet with nuts to wire rack.

2. For the spice mix: While nuts are toasting, stir together sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice in medium bowl; set aside.

3. For the glaze: Bring rum, vanilla, brown sugar, and butter to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Stir in toasted pecans and cook, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until nuts are shiny and almost all liquid has evaporated, about 1½ minutes.

4. Transfer glazed pecans to bowl with spice mix; toss well to coat. Return glazed and spiced pecans to parchment-lined cookie sheet to cool (can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days).

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
How about one of the many varieties of Chex Mix Party Mix that you mix yourself? They are easy to make and make a lot. There are many varieties and flavor profiles depending on what you use. The official recipe page, here, must have fifty or more recipes in various categories, so I am sure you'll find one to interest you.

Fern

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I've got one appetizer that I take to parties often because it looks somewhat fancy and appeals to lots of people. I get asked for the "recipe" every time, and never take any leftovers home - my way of judging if it's a winner. It's always kind of embarrassing to admit that it's just assembling some purchased items:)

Cut thin slices from a good crusty French baguette. Spread each with the garlic & herb variety of Boursin, Allouette or a similar soft herb flavored cheese spread. Top with a bite size piece of smoked salmon. If you're feeling fancy, add a tiny sprig of fresh dill as a garnish. You do need to make this shortly before leaving, so the bread stays crispy but it takes just a few minutes to assemble.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
My family's favourite is my hot parmesan dip.

1 cup chopped red onion
1 cup grated parmesan (you can use the shaker kind)
1 cup real mayonnaise

Mix and bake at 350 degrees until top is brown, about 30 minutes.
Put it on a cookie sheet before baking, as it tends to bubble over.

Serve with crackers.

Dori

Rascalsmom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Artichoke Dip

Our family's favorite is Hot Artichoke dip --

to Dori's recipe above add 2 cans well-drained artichokes. Serve with Triscuits or Blue Corn Chips. We can't have a family gathering without it!

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yummmmm......I think I'll have to make a different one each day to taste test, LOL.

Now to make them Halloween-y, I suppose I could tinker with some green food coloring and maybe garnish with black olive slices and pimento in the middle for eyes?

Maybe a chex mix, perhaps the pumpkin spice one, with orange and black M&Ms.

Or I could just get a plastic Halloween-themed bowl or tray or little sprinkles to dress up something that doesn't look like Halloween.

Any more ideas? Keep 'em coming!

Last edited:

pjrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our family's favorite is Hot Artichoke dip --

to Dori's recipe above add 2 cans well-drained artichokes. Serve with Triscuits or Blue Corn Chips. We can't have a family gathering without it!

Do you chunk the artichokes into smaller pieces first?

glypnirsgirl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Reuben dip

A little different - serve with party rye that has been crisped in the oven

Ingredients
1/2 cup mayonnaise (or substitute cream cheese)
1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
16 ounces sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
8 ounces shredded corned beef
16 ounces shredded Swiss cheese

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and dressing.
3. Spread sauerkraut into a 9x13-inch baking dish. Layer corned beef, Swiss cheese, and the mayonnaise-dressing mixture on top of the sauerkraut.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

I made this last year for a Super Bowl party. It was a big hit.

I normally make a similar dip using hamburger and rotel tomatoes and cheese - the Reuben dip was a bigger hit.

elaine