• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help....where should we stay on Kauai?

IdahoSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palm Springs Tennis Club (3)
HiltonLake Tahoe Vacation Resort
Although I have been to Maui a number of times over the years the last time I visited Kauai was 46 years ago! I do remember that the island was incredibly beautiful. However, it rained a lot and at that time I thought the island was “too slow”. Keep in mind I was 20 years old at the time! Although I still prefer sunshine and blue skies I think I will now embrace the slower pace and hopefully fewer people on Kauai. We are planning to go there in February and are looking for recommendations on where we should stay.

Although some of the timeshare resorts in Princeville look fantastic I think that area will be too wet and overcast for my liking. Also, although we do like nicer resorts with upscale amenities our primary preference is a resort on the beach and a room with nice views! To be within walking distance to a few restaurants would be an added bonus. I’m hoping to get an exchange through II. We do have family that will be joining us so the resort will also need to offer rentals if we aren’t able to exchange into a 2 bedroom unit. I will be submitting an ongoing search in II. Please let me know your thoughts on which resorts I should include in my search based upon our preferences.

Also, one more question for you knowledgeable people, which resort do you think would give me more trading power in II? A one bedroom week 52 at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (EVR) which has been on deposit with II since early January or a two bedroom March week at Palm Springs Tennis Club (PSP) which hasn’t yet been deposited?

Sorry for the long post but any assistance you can provide would be most appreciated!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Kauai is still fairly quiet, and is a very different vacation experience than Maui. They can't really be compared, beyond the minimum similarities - great beaches, nice water, pretty sunsets. That's about where the similarities end.

The best way to enjoy good weather on Kauai is to check the weather daily. If it's raining in the north end, head south, and vice versa. It isn't that large of an island (especially compared to Maui.) If you look at the road, it is a giant reverse letter C. Princeville at the north end, Poipu at the south end, with Lihue and Kapa'a in the middle. So you can only drive so far. Princeville in February is likely to be quite wet. It can also rain on the south side of the island just as easily, but I'd think the north side would be more likely to have inclement weather. Keep in mind the middle of Kauai is where Mt. Waialeale is located - that's THE wettest place on earth. Going there in February and wanting to avoid rain may not really be possible.

Kauai has fewer people, and as such, less urban infrastructure, fewer restaurants, less "walk to" locations, and resorts tend to be gathered in certain areas. You'd have to research what's what. If you do need to drive to a restaurant, it isn't all that far.

Given your questions, I'd say to look into staying at a Marriott in Lihue or Poipu. They'll give you the upscale accommodations you want, with the better chance of decent weather in February. I believe you can also rent units at the Marriotts.

An alternative, if you'd accept slightly lower accommodations, is the timeshare Kauai Beach Villas, just outside Lihue. A 2br unit in Building G or H will give you oceanfront views, and a walk-out (non swimmable) beach. Right next door is an Aqua hotel, the Kauai Beach Resort, that rents units. They have a fantastic swimming pool complex, a nice onsite restaurant, and good all-around accommodations for a group needing multiple units. Being right outside Lihue, it's close to the airport, close to decent shopping, and you're centrally located for driving north or south. You'd need a car, but it's an easy drive from there to the rest of the island.

Hope this helps a bit.

Dave

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I agree with Dave, Poipu and Lihue sounds like what you are looking for.

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kauai is still fairly quiet, and is a very different vacation experience than Maui. They can't really be compared, beyond the minimum similarities - great beaches, nice water, pretty sunsets. That's about where the similarities end.

The best way to enjoy good weather on Kauai is to check the weather daily. If it's raining in the north end, head south, and vice versa. It isn't that large of an island (especially compared to Maui.) If you look at the road, it is a giant reverse letter C. Princeville at the north end, Poipu at the south end, with Lihue and Kapa'a in the middle. So you can only drive so far. Princeville in February is likely to be quite wet. It can also rain on the south side of the island just as easily, but I'd think the north side would be more likely to have inclement weather. Keep in mind the middle of Kauai is where Mt. Waialeale is located - that's THE wettest place on earth. Going there in February and wanting to avoid rain may not really be possible.

Kauai has fewer people, and as such, less urban infrastructure, fewer restaurants, less "walk to" locations, and resorts tend to be gathered in certain areas. You'd have to research what's what. If you do need to drive to a restaurant, it isn't all that far.

Given your questions, I'd say to look into staying at a Marriott in Lihue or Poipu. They'll give you the upscale accommodations you want, with the better chance of decent weather in February. I believe you can also rent units at the Marriotts.

An alternative, if you'd accept slightly lower accommodations, is the timeshare Kauai Beach Villas, just outside Lihue. A 2br unit in Building G or H will give you oceanfront views, and a walk-out (non swimmable) beach. Right next door is an Aqua hotel, the Kauai Beach Resort, that rents units. They have a fantastic swimming pool complex, a nice onsite restaurant, and good all-around accommodations for a group needing multiple units. Being right outside Lihue, it's close to the airport, close to decent shopping, and you're centrally located for driving north or south. You'd need a car, but it's an easy drive from there to the rest of the island.

Hope this helps a bit.

Dave

Is KBV available via II?

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hope this helps a bit.

Dave
Great post except that the chance to get a Marriott resort in Kauai in February when you are not a Marriott owner are very very low. Also, Kauai Beach Villas is not with II.
II resorts on Kauai are https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1502&areaCode=814&areaName=Hawaii,+Kauai

MommaBear

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are more low cost restaurants in Poipu area, with the addition of food trucks in Koloa. Poipu area also gives you closer access to Port Allen for whale watching.

IdahoSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks so much for all of the info you have provided thus far! I will also add that if we are unable to secure an exchange through II we will likely rent from an owner. Therefore, please continue to share your thoughts on areas and resorts we should consider!

Thank you

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Is KBV available via II?

No idea. But OP may be able to arrange a private exchange. She asked for upscale accommodations, and the Marriotts are the only ones I know of that also may rent units out.

Great post except that the chance to get a Marriott resort in Kauai in February when you are not a Marriott owner are very very low. Also, Kauai Beach Villas is not with II.
II resorts on Kauai are https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1502&areaCode=814&areaName=Hawaii,+Kauai

I don't know what OP owns or has access to. Just answering the question about where to stay to get what she asked for.

For someone used to upscale Maui accommodations, finding something similarly nice on Kauai (and available at this late date) would be difficult in the best of times. Right after the Covid lockdown, and the pent-up urges to vacation sparking all the travel demand, will make things tougher to book.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks so much for all of the info you have provided thus far! I will also add that if we are unable to secure an exchange through II we will likely rent from an owner. Therefore, please continue to share your thoughts on areas and resorts we should consider!

Thank you

Suzanne, you may want to delay your trip a year, to give you more time to put an itinerary and exchanges together. February is only seven months from now, and exchanging into Hawaii usually takes a longer time to arrange. (Obviously, if you rent something, that doesn't apply.) Good luck!

Dave

IdahoSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Suzanne, you may want to delay your trip a year, to give you more time to put an itinerary and exchanges together. February is only seven months from now, and exchanging into Hawaii usually takes a longer time to arrange. (Obviously, if you rent something, that doesn't apply.) Good luck!

Dave

Thanks, Dave, for your suggestion to wait a year. However, that isn't an option for us. DH earned a trip to Maui through his work. :) The trip was just recently awarded and is set for Feb, 2022. We decided it would be a great time to finally visit Kauai as well IF we can find nice accommodations without paying retail rates!

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know what OP owns or has access to.
The OP wrote: "which resort do you think would give me more trading power in II? A one bedroom week 52 at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (EVR) which has been on deposit with II since early January or a two bedroom March week at Palm Springs Tennis Club (PSP) which hasn’t yet been deposited?".

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The OP wrote: "which resort do you think would give me more trading power in II? A one bedroom week 52 at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (EVR) which has been on deposit with II since early January or a two bedroom March week at Palm Springs Tennis Club (PSP) which hasn’t yet been deposited?".

Yes, and since I have no idea how those resorts trade in Interval, I chose to answer the greater question of where to stay on Kauai that is upscale and also rents out. There aren't a lot of places on Kauai that do that, especially away from Princeville.

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks, Dave, for your suggestion to wait a year. However, that isn't an option for us. DH earned a trip to Maui through his work. :) The trip was just recently awarded and is set for Feb, 2022. We decided it would be a great time to finally visit Kauai as well IF we can find nice accommodations without paying retail rates!

I understand. Airfare is so expensive, and travel days can be so tiring, when I travel to Hawaii for a timeshare trip I like to add a second week on another island, to extend things, if I can.

At this point, then, since you're locked into February 2022, I'd suggest looking for a private exchange, or a rental. You may even want to look through the tug rental ads, or maybe look into a discounted hotel rental site.

Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Maybe calling II and asking what's available or trading with an owner might be options. These are many places to stay with II in Kauia and many owners have inventory to rent or trade. The Pono Kai is in II and there are owners that will rent or might trade a one bed for a two bed.

Bill

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I'll say up front, my post is not going to be helpful. But, if it was me, I'd rent a place in Hanalei, preferable a cottagy type place on the beach. I absolutely fell in love with that area of the island when we were there. Since it's north it would most likely be rainy during February. And I also know the road can get flooded and I think the bridge can be closed. This is all based on a visit there some years back. We were staying in Princeville, but went to Hanalei a few times.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Set up the search with the unit you have deposited, ASAP. If you plan to deposit the Palm Springs anyway, do it now. Set up a search for the preference resorts (Marriott/Sheraton/Westin) with the 2br unit. Set up the search for the non-preference resorts with the 1 br unit.

You have a good chance of Lawai Beach Resort, Point at Poipu, and Cliffs Club.
Of the Marriotts, the easiest to get is Marriott Kauai Beach Club. It is a hotel conversion, without a real kitchen. The grounds are gorgeous. It is right on Kalapaki Beach, and 5 min from the airport.
The Cliffs Club and Cliffs Resort also appear in II quite often, but the north side of the island is rainy in winter.

These are less likely to match, since they require Marriott / Vistana preference, but they will also have the most weeks deposited.
MAW, MA1, MKI, MKW, SKR, WPV
These are more likely to match, but you can always cancel within 24 hours if you decide against the one that matches:
EPP, EP1, KCO, LAW, LWI, LWL, LWB, CLF, TCS, CF2, TC1
I would only add in the Pono Kai if you are desperate.
PNK, POK, PN4, PF2, PFT

IdahoSuz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks to all of you that replied; it is very much appreciated.

Thanks, HudHut,. for the detailed message including resort codes. I will do as you suggested and will hope for the best!