• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2017 ] Need Help Rescinding Holiday Inn Club Vacations Time Share

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I went involved in this matter and bought at Holiday Inn Club Vacation in timeshare. After buying in April 2019 then several months passed to activate our account until debiting payments amounting to 4,500 dollars. But after activating the account I have tried to use but we had this deception we realize that what they sold to us at the moment does not work.

Now we can't make a reservation at national hotels in the Dominican Republic we can't book outside our conuntry because there is never availability. We want to end the contract and we would like to know what is the best way to end this deception so as not to pay something that we will never be able to use because we are in the Caribbean.

We would like to cancel this contract , this is a hoax and we were scammed....
If you simply stop paying, you won't get any of the money back that you have already paid, but it's VERY doubtful that any collection or 'bad credit' report would follow you to where you live. You'll probably get threatening letters, but I don't think they have any 'teeth'.

Good Luck!

Jim

Muñoz

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake by Holiday Inn Vacation
If you simply stop paying, you won't get any of the money back that you have already paid, but it's VERY doubtful that any collection or 'bad credit' report would follow you to where you live. You'll probably get threatening letters, but I don't think they have any 'teeth'.

Good Luck!

Jim
Ok we prefered lost the money in this case and we aren't going to pay for something that we never will use because it isn't a real vacation program.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok we prefered lost the money in this case and we aren't going to pay for something that we never will use because it isn't a real vacation program.
It's a real vacation program, but it appears that it's not your type of vacation program. They should have recognized that and not sold it to you, but you can't tell that to a commissioned salesperson. Best Wishes!

Jim

BahamasLady

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new to tugbbs but I've read a few of the forums here. I need a bit of clarification that would be much appreciated.
I signed up not realizing how expensive it would be for 2 vacations per year. I have 100,000 points with Holiday Inn Vacation Club and realized that it entitles us to 2-2.5 vacation days PER YEAR. When originally signing up, we were misled to think the 40,000 points were for the full period of the vacation week and not 40,000 points per NIGHT at the hotels. We want to cancel our timeshare, however, I'm not sure if we are eligible for a rescission simply because although we just made the last payment for the deposit 3 days ago, we signed the contracts back in October when we originally signed up. Is there a way to cancel this timeshare as we cannot afford to keep it, it will cost us 3-4 times our regular vacation funds each year. I'd love to get some or all of our funds back but don't think I'll be so lucky. However, what are my options at this point? Despite it being a legal contract, can we write a letter to cancel and that seal the deal?

Thanks for the help!

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Hi there,

I'm new to tugbbs but I've read a few of the forums here. I need a bit of clarification that would be much appreciated.
I signed up not realizing how expensive it would be for 2 vacations per year. I have 100,000 points with Holiday Inn Vacation Club and realized that it entitles us to 2-2.5 vacation days PER YEAR. When originally signing up, we were misled to think the 40,000 points were for the full period of the vacation week and not 40,000 points per NIGHT at the hotels. We want to cancel our timeshare, however, I'm not sure if we are eligible for a rescission simply because although we just made the last payment for the deposit 3 days ago, we signed the contracts back in October when we originally signed up. Is there a way to cancel this timeshare as we cannot afford to keep it, it will cost us 3-4 times our regular vacation funds each year. I'd love to get some or all of our funds back but don't think I'll be so lucky. However, what are my options at this point? Despite it being a legal contract, can we write a letter to cancel and that seal the deal?

Thanks for the help!
You’re out of luck to cancel. Maybe if you paid off, you can learn how to use your TS and get maybe one week a year as long as you don’t book prime season. Where is your TS located?

BahamasLady

Reaction score
You’re out of luck to cancel. Maybe if you paid off, you can learn how to use your TS and get maybe one week a year as long as you don’t book prime season. Where is your TS located?

We signed up in Florida at Orange Lake but they have on the contract, MO. I think that's where their office is? I'm not sure. Can we not cancel by paying a fee and wash our hands off of it? I am not worried about losing the deposit, I just don't want to pay anymore into this. When I look at the minimum points usage is 20,000/night which is at a resort we do NOT wish to stay at, that gives 5 days per year. We would have to buy an additional 150,000 points to make the vacation what we want each year (totals to about an additional $2025.00 for the additional points). Spending a regular monthly fee of $400 ($4800/yr) PLUS $2025.00....a total of $6825.00 for 1 week (7 days) at a resort ONCE per year is nowhere near worth it.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We signed up in Florida at Orange Lake but they have on the contract, MO. I think that's where their office is? I'm not sure. Can we not cancel by paying a fee and wash our hands off of it? I am not worried about losing the deposit, I just don't want to pay anymore into this. When I look at the minimum points usage is 20,000/night which is at a resort we do NOT wish to stay at, that gives 5 days per year. We would have to buy an additional 150,000 points to make the vacation what we want each year (totals to about an additional $2025.00 for the additional points). Spending a regular monthly fee of $400 ($4800/yr) PLUS $2025.00....a total of $6825.00 for 1 week (7 days) at a resort ONCE per year is nowhere near worth it.
Except for Holiday Inn itself, Any company in which you have to pay a fee to exit is a scam.

If your TS deeded in FL? TS owners defaulting FL TS can’t be sued for the deficiency balance, as long as they don’t object to the non-judicial foreclosure.

Out of 13 TS mortgage defaults as reported on TUG, 7 got their credit affected, ranging from 50 to 150 points. If you choose to default, please kindly let me know if your credit got affected. It would help tuggers moving forward.

best of luck!

BahamasLady

Reaction score
Except for Holiday Inn itself, Any company in which you have to pay a fee to exit is a scam.

If your TS deeded in FL? TS owners defaulting FL TS can’t be sued for the deficiency balance, as long as they don’t object to the non-judicial foreclosure.

Out of 13 TS mortgage defaults as reported on TUG, 7 got their credit affected, ranging from 50 to 150 points. If you choose to default, please kindly let me know if your credit got affected. It would help tuggers moving forward.

best of luck!

A note to mention though, I am not an American, therefore, I don't think we actually have a credit score Lol. With foreclosing, does that mean to simply stop paying? What if my credit card is on file for processing each month? Also, my account (online) hasn't been activated yet. I don't get my official owners card for another 1-2 months.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A note to mention though, I am not an American, therefore, I don't think we actually have a credit score Lol. With foreclosing, does that mean to simply stop paying? What if my credit card is on file for processing each month? Also, my account (online) hasn't been activated yet. I don't get my official owners card for another 1-2 months.
Foreclosing means stop paying. Have you considered changing your credit card number? Have you also called holiday inn saying you can’t pay anymore?

BahamasLady

Reaction score
Foreclosing means stop paying. Have you considered changing your credit card number? Have you also called holiday inn saying you can’t pay anymore?

Here's a question, we don't receive the deed or title or activated as owners until the last deposit payment goes through and they send it all in the mail right?

Perhaps because we haven't been activated yet, we can still cancel?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's a question, we don't receive the deed or title or activated as owners until the last deposit payment goes through and they send it all in the mail right?

Perhaps because we haven't been activated yet, we can still cancel?
No, that is incorrect. Cancellation depends on TS contract signature date, not deposit completion.

One of your options is simply to stop making payments.

BahamasLady

Reaction score
No, that is incorrect. Cancellation depends on TS contract signature date, not deposit completion.

One of your options is simply to stop making payments.

Stopping payments to HIVC but what about the loan/mortgage portion?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Your option is to foreclose that loan/mortgage too. You have no good options, now that the rescission period ended.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@BahamasLady We hope you are well. If you made the hard decision to default on your timeshare, would you kindly let us know if your credit got affected? It would help other tuggers in similar situations.

rokmc2014

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Vacations
I purchased a timeshare for HICV almost two years ago and wondering if I can cancel it. I am very green to this topic and did not even use the points yet. Can someone guide me on the right path to cancel it? I am desperate now...

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased a timeshare for HICV almost two years ago and wondering if I can cancel it. I am very green to this topic and did not even use the points yet. Can someone guide me on the right path to cancel it? I am desperate now...

Unfortunately you are about two years too late to be able to legally rescind. What happened in the last two years to cause you to change your mind in your ownership?

Assuming your loan is paid off then you can either deed back, give away, or sell your timeshare.

Another alternative is to make use of it for vacations, trading, or renting.

Best of luck!

Jp71704

Reaction score
Help, how to recind HICV? I couldn’t figure out a way to start new thread but we have similar problem. We found this website and sent the cancellation notice 5 days after Signing the contract. We had 10 days in our contract. We did certified mail and it’s been two weeks but we have not seen money back on our credit card. Do you know if there is number to call? How do we make sure it’s cancelled. Thanks so much for your help.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Help, how to recind HICV? I couldn’t figure out a way to start new thread but we have similar problem. We found this website and sent the cancellation notice 5 days after Signing the contract. We had 10 days in our contract. We did certified mail and it’s been two weeks but we have not seen money back on our credit card. Do you know if there is number to call? How do we make sure it’s cancelled. Thanks so much for your help.
As long as you sent certified to the correct address, the resort is legally required to process your rescission. Your refund could take 45 days. Mind sharing how much you'd save with rescission?

Not sure if calling helps. HICV will just try to sell you again.

Jp71704

Reaction score
As long as you sent certified to the correct address, the resort is legally required to process your rescission. Your refund could take 45 days. Mind sharing how much you'd save with rescission?

Not sure if calling helps. HICV will just try to sell you again.

We saved $13k. It was 50,000 points. I was told that I would be able to get a week at the resort of my choice every other year but I once read the reviews, I realized all the good locations will be gone...

Ok- thanks! We will wait- it’s been two weeks since they received it.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
We saved $13k. It was 50,000 points. I was told that I would be able to get a week at the resort of my choice every other year but I once read the reviews, I realized all the good locations will be gone...

Ok- thanks! We will wait- it’s been two weeks since they received it.
Congrats on rescinding. Now that you saved 13K don’t be turned off to timesharing. If you own in the right system you may be able to enjoy the benefits of ownership. Which locations do you like to travel to? Are you bound to school breaks?

Jp71704

Reaction score
Congrats on rescinding. Now that you saved 13K don’t be turned off to timesharing. If you own in the right system you may be able to enjoy the benefits of ownership. Which locations do you like to travel to? Are you bound to school breaks?

Thanks! I called the holiday inn club today and they said our contract was not cancelled and we are bound. They said the mailing address I sent did not match what he had in the system. I read in him the language in my contract and he said I needed to call the quality assurance people. He said the “right” office has not received our letter. So I emailed the quality group today with info and left them VM. I hope they will honor it!!!

We like to travel to the beach around the panhandle. We also like to explore different national parks.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
He said the “right” office has not received our letter.
That's not your problem. If you sent your letter to the address in your contract and you have proof from the post office that you mailed it within the rescission period, you have rescinded your purchase and they must honor it. If you get a bill from them just sent them a copy of your letter and your proof of mailing.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Thanks! I called the holiday inn club today and they said our contract was not cancelled and we are bound. They said the mailing address I sent did not match what he had in the system. I read in him the language in my contract and he said I needed to call the quality assurance people. He said the “right” office has not received our letter. So I emailed the quality group today with info and left them VM. I hope they will honor it!!!

We like to travel to the beach around the panhandle. We also like to explore different national parks.
What he said was a bunch of lies. Hoping you saved the mailing receipt.

Does HIVC have resorts near the panhandle? The destinations you are looking for may be better suited in vacation home rentals.

Cjrwars04

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SOOOOO Thankful to have found you guys! We signed Saturday and after much thought and regret I decided to type up the letter today and send it off first thing tomorrow (monday).
IHG got us on the free 3 night 4 day stay at Myrtle Beach with the promise of a $249 refund. We caved in during the presentation and even during the signing we just felt compelled do sign as we had already invested damn near 5 hours to the initial 2 hour presentation. We got our 249 back of course but I did not walk out entirely confident with whatever the heck i had just bought. We just wanted to get the heck out of there. This was a huge mistake and I will never participate in any scam like this one again, the hotel they put us in was not even with the resort! They put us in a cheap, dirty, molded hotel called the Landmark. Anyway, I have attached a PDF in which you can insert your information. I may have exaggerated in the detail but ehhhh, better safe than sorry. I guess we will know in 45 days from tomorrow. We purchased 60k points for a total loan amount of 15k, the threw in an extra 60k free of charge. Even still, as a military family we dont get vacations that often and so as of now, i dont see the use of something I cant hardly use anyway.

Attachments

• ihg pdf.pdf
    66.3 KB · Views: 61

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
SOOOOO Thankful to have found you guys! We signed Saturday and after much thought and regret I decided to type up the letter today and send it off first thing tomorrow (monday).
IHG got us on the free 3 night 4 day stay at Myrtle Beach with the promise of a $249 refund. We caved in during the presentation and even during the signing we just felt compelled do sign as we had already invested damn near 5 hours to the initial 2 hour presentation. We got our 249 back of course but I did not walk out entirely confident with whatever the heck i had just bought. We just wanted to get the heck out of there. This was a huge mistake and I will never participate in any scam like this one again, the hotel they put us in was not even with the resort! They put us in a cheap, dirty, molded hotel called the Landmark. Anyway, I have attached a PDF in which you can insert your information. I may have exaggerated in the detail but ehhhh, better safe than sorry. I guess we will know in 45 days from tomorrow. We purchased 60k points for a total loan amount of 15k, the threw in an extra 60k free of charge. Even still, as a military family we dont get vacations that often and so as of now, i dont see the use of something I cant hardly use anyway.

Smart move to rescind! What you spent $15K for can likely be purchased on the resale market for just pennies on the dollar!

When you send your rescission letter do be sure to send it via USPS CERTIFIED MAIL and retain the Postal Receipt which verifies your mailing. Also, be sure any purchaser who signed the original paperwork also signs the rescission papers.

Sit back, relax, and be patient. It may take up to 45 days for everything to be finalized and rescinded.

Go celebrate :cheer::banana::wave::cool::hug

Last edited: