• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2017 ] Need Help Rescinding Holiday Inn Club Vacations Time Share

jbiz83

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holiday Inn Club Vacations
Thanks for the response, that's pretty much what I assumed. The biggest issue is that it's nothing like they explained, we were sold on the ability to transfer points to IHG for free and use for hotels, now we're finding out that it's $70 to transfer points and not all IHG hotels seem to accept the points.

I'm hoping it's just something we have to learn how to utilize, so hopefully I can learn some tricks here.

KD101

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV for 1 day - Want to cancel
I discovered TUG 1 day late. I signed contract yesterday and had some suspicions as every time I asked for point values and can I book hotel in NY with it, sales person kept on saying oh I cannot login to find out, let me reboot and see if I can. They showed me points to book in Week 1 to 6 when no one takes vacation. I had explained that we both work and kids have school so vacation can only be taken in limited window.
Anyway, mine was done in Williamsburg VA and get 7 days to rescind the contract. The cancellation page does not list address but says that you must inform developer's principal office in person or by certified mail with return receipt. Took me 1/2 day to read the whole thing to find the address in contract. Essentially address mentioned everywhere in this thread is listed as Seller/Developer's primary address. I copied the language from this thread and sending it out tomorrow as I want to make photocopy of everything and need to go to USPS for certified mail. I think it should work. I will confirm and add $11K to the money saved (plus all those MF and $136 per year).

Thanks folks. I will update it once I see my refund. Hopefully quickly - but within 45 days.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I discovered TUG 1 day late. I signed contract yesterday and had some suspicions as every time I asked for point values and can I book hotel in NY with it, sales person kept on saying oh I cannot login to find out, let me reboot and see if I can. They showed me points to book in Week 1 to 6 when no one takes vacation. I had explained that we both work and kids have school so vacation can only be taken in limited window.
Anyway, mine was done in Williamsburg VA and get 7 days to rescind the contract. The cancellation page does not list address but says that you must inform developer's principal office in person or by certified mail with return receipt. Took me 1/2 day to read the whole thing to find the address in contract. Essentially address mentioned everywhere in this thread is listed as Seller/Developer's primary address. I copied the language from this thread and sending it out tomorrow as I want to make photocopy of everything and need to go to USPS for certified mail. I think it should work. I will confirm and add $11K to the money saved (plus all those MF and $136 per year).

Thanks folks. I will update it once I see my refund. Hopefully quickly - but within 45 days.

Congrats on saving $11k.

davidt

Reaction score
We rescinded our timeshare purchase at Orange Lake within 5 days of signing the contract. We copied a letter from this site and sent it certified mail with a signature confirmation. 2 days after someone at orange lake signed for our letter they sent us a copy of the closing paperwork saying we forgot to sign page 5. Should I just throw it away and not respond? This will save us around $25,000 plus get a refund of the $2,700 down payment.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We rescinded our timeshare purchase at Orange Lake within 5 days of signing the contract. We copied a letter from this site and sent it certified mail with a signature confirmation. 2 days after someone at orange lake signed for our letter they sent us a copy of the closing paperwork saying we forgot to sign page 5. Should I just throw it away and not respond? This will save us around $25,000 plus get a refund of the $2,700 down payment.
Are they saying that because you didn't sign page 5 of the contract, that that makes the rescission void? That's HOGWASH! I wouldn't respond, but would hold that letter and if, after 45 days, your refund isn't in your hands, It's time to sue them for the damages and your legal fees. Don't dispose of the letter, it could be the key to you saving $25K AND a lifetime of annual fees.

Good Luck!

Jim

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m a little bit unclear about what is page 5. Is it page 5 of your rescission letter or Ts contract? If you can black out personal information but upload the copy of their letter and your rescission letter, that would be helpful.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m a little bit unclear about what is page 5. Is it page 5 of your rescission letter or Ts contract? If you can black out personal information but upload the copy of their letter and your rescission letter, that would be helpful.
It's gotta be the contract. I could hardly get 5 LINES on a rescission letter, let alone 5 pages!

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is Wastegate-level behavior!

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
2 days after someone at orange lake signed for our letter they sent us a copy of the closing paperwork saying we forgot to sign page 5.
Perhaps the one who signed for the letter is not the same person who sent you a copy of the closing paperwork. Maybe the people who are processing the closing paperwork haven't gotten the message that you've rescinded yet. I think I'd just ignore the request to return page 5 and wait and see if your refund shows up.

Tammie Carney

Reaction score
I am glad that I found this thread. While I am really excited about the vacation prospects, my husband and I have buyer's remorse. Tomorrow is day 5. I wrote the letter, we both signed it, and he is taking it to the post office tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I am glad that I found this thread. While I am really excited about the vacation prospects, my husband and I have buyer's remorse. Tomorrow is day 5. I wrote the letter, we both signed it, and he is taking it to the post office tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Deleted

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

@Tammie Carney

Be sure to send certified. Keep all receipts. Save photo copies. Might be helpful to include a copy of the first page of the contract, with the contract number. How much would you save with rescission?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Tammie Carney
We hope that your rescission went well and enjoying life without the financial burden of a developer/resort TS. Solely to track how much TS owners have saved, mind sharing how much you saved with rescission? As half of all tuggers initially bought developer/resort TS, there is no shaming.

jdfriday

Reaction score
Good evening,

I think this thread is exactly what I needed, but my situation is just slightly different. My wife and I attended a presentation two days ago and after six hours, decided to buy in at a very low level, $8K for 35,000 points. We asked multiple times for clarification on a few of the things that the salesperson told us (converting HICV points to RCI points, how many points for specific resorts and fees to name a few) and he kept saying that what he told us was all in writing in the contract which we would sign on camera in the closing room at the end. We signed a preconfirmation checklist, a page that was supposed to identify the various ways that we might sign our names, and one other page where we initialed and signed the number of points that we were getting.

We then questioned the issues that we had again and asked to see these things in writing once the finance guy came in (we were just paying cash so no financing was necessary) and he told us different answers on almost every one of our questions. At that point we said, we're out, and since we had not completed the contract (we assumed this since there was still a stack of papers on the desk) we just asked to be done and get our money back since we had already given them our card and ID to run.

They returned with two receipts, one with a debit and one with a credit that they said would take an additional 5-7 business days to process. They said they had already ran the card. This seemed normal, so we signed both receipts which we have copies of and left. (although in retrospect I could have asked them to cancel the first transaction on the spot)

We later wondered whether they had enough signatures to lock us in to something, so began doing our research and reading all of the horror stories. We spoke to an attorney friend of ours who said to go back and get it in writing that we were not locked into anything. The manager on duty that day hand-wrote it on the back of our receipt and gave us his card.

I'm still nervous that we're going to be locked into something. I was going to write a letter to the addresses that I have (one from this email and two different ones from the guy that we talked to the second day). We received no contract, no book/cd (we were shown a book but never got one). We shouldn't have to "rescind" anything, but I'm concerned that if we don't send something now to cover ourselves it could come back to bite us.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good evening,

I think this thread is exactly what I needed, but my situation is just slightly different. My wife and I attended a presentation two days ago and after six hours, decided to buy in at a very low level, $8K for 35,000 points. We asked multiple times for clarification on a few of the things that the salesperson told us (converting HICV points to RCI points, how many points for specific resorts and fees to name a few) and he kept saying that what he told us was all in writing in the contract which we would sign on camera in the closing room at the end. We signed a preconfirmation checklist, a page that was supposed to identify the various ways that we might sign our names, and one other page where we initialed and signed the number of points that we were getting.

We then questioned the issues that we had again and asked to see these things in writing once the finance guy came in (we were just paying cash so no financing was necessary) and he told us different answers on almost every one of our questions. At that point we said, we're out, and since we had not completed the contract (we assumed this since there was still a stack of papers on the desk) we just asked to be done and get our money back since we had already given them our card and ID to run.

They returned with two receipts, one with a debit and one with a credit that they said would take an additional 5-7 business days to process. They said they had already ran the card. This seemed normal, so we signed both receipts which we have copies of and left. (although in retrospect I could have asked them to cancel the first transaction on the spot)

We later wondered whether they had enough signatures to lock us in to something, so began doing our research and reading all of the horror stories. We spoke to an attorney friend of ours who said to go back and get it in writing that we were not locked into anything. The manager on duty that day hand-wrote it on the back of our receipt and gave us his card.

I'm still nervous that we're going to be locked into something. I was going to write a letter to the addresses that I have (one from this email and two different ones from the guy that we talked to the second day). We received no contract, no book/cd (we were shown a book but never got one). We shouldn't have to "rescind" anything, but I'm concerned that if we don't send something now to cover ourselves it could come back to bite us.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
What state did you purchase? Send the rescission letter, signed by both you and your SO/spouse, to all three addresses USPS-certified. Be sure the letter has the contract number. Best of luck. Make copy of all rescission letters.

jdfriday

Reaction score
What state did you purchase? Send the rescission letter, signed by both you and your SO/spouse, to all three addresses USPS-certified. Be sure the letter has the contract number. Best of luck. Make copy of all rescission letters.
Purchased in Tennessee. I don't have a contract, but there is a contract number on the credit card receipts. I was planning to use that. I'm at a point where I don't even know whether I am actually rescinding anything and whether I need to change the wording of the sample letter provided in this thread. According to the manager that we talked to the second day and the loan guy when we walked out, we're out --- I just don't trust them.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Purchased in Tennessee. I don't have a contract, but there is a contract number on the credit card receipts. I was planning to use that. I'm at a point where I don't even know whether I am actually rescinding anything and whether I need to change the wording of the sample letter provided in this thread. According to the manager that we talked to the second day and the loan guy when we walked out, we're out --- I just don't trust them.
Yes. Don’t trust them. Just send certified to all three addresses. You can include copies of the receipts. It’s just postage paid for piece of mind and prevent a $8k mistake.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m about 95 percent sure you are good without having to send rescission letters. If you want to up your chances to 99.9 percent, you send the rescission letters to the three addresses USPS-certified. HIVC is known to be a bad player, but not a very bad player like Westgate.

StalinPerezm

Reaction score
I sent a letter before the time expired because The Holiday Inn Club Vacation didn't work for us and I paid 3,000 USD but they don't want to quit the contract . Can you tell me about what we could do?

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent a letter before the time expired because The Holiday Inn Club Vacation didn't work for us and I paid 3,000 USD but they don't want to quit the contract . Can you tell me about what we could do?

Many times it takes 45 days or so to resolve these and receive your refund. How many days has it been since they have signed for the rescission paperwork that you mailed to them?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What was the total or purchase price of the contract. Don’t answer any calls. As long as you followed the directions, they are legally required to rescind the contract. Some people contact the state AG if they have any issues with TS resorts.

StalinPerezm

Reaction score
What was the total or purchase price of the contract. Don’t answer any calls. As long as you followed the directions, they are legally required to rescind the contract. Some people contact the state AG if they have any issues with TS resorts.
purchase price was $21,120.00

Muñoz

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake by Holiday Inn Vacation
My wife and I went involved in this matter and bought at Holiday Inn Club Vacation in timeshare. After buying in April 2019 then several months passed to activate our account until debiting payments amounting to 4,500 dollars. But after activating the account I have tried to use but we had this deception we realize that what they sold to us at the moment does not work.

Now we can't make a reservation at national hotels in the Dominican Republic we can't book outside our conuntry because there is never availability. We want to end the contract and we would like to know what is the best way to end this deception so as not to pay something that we will never be able to use because we are in the Caribbean.

We would like to cancel this contract , this is a hoax and we were scammed....

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Before what time expired? What state did you sign the contract in? If you mailed a rescission letter within the allowable time, they HAVE NO CHOICE but to process a rescission, ending your contract and refundind any funds you paid down. IT IS IMPORTANT to know how much time passed since you signed the contract and where it was signed. They may not WANT to 'quit the contract', but they have no choice if you requested it in time.

Good Luck!

Jim