• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help rescinding contract.

Reaction score
(the actual question at the bottom)I bought in to the Westgate vacation villas. I have about 5 days left to rescind my contract but want to know if I should. We bought a single bed room for $9000 floating week on odd years. However we technically we have week 25 (the week before the 4 of July). MF and tax $800. We have unlimited getaway weeks at the cost of $45-$499, discount on cruises, can trade are week to another resort for $150-175. We also have travel partners (referral system to make money $45 for sitting thought presentation and $600 for buyers).
If I got rid of it would I loose travel partners?
Looking at the total to use it every 2 years would cost $1400 over 30 years. I feel I can get the same for less from a hotel/resorts/ private renter and not have to worry about the bills. Let alone I am only there for a week. Most of the time I stay at $45 a night place

If I rescind I do not want to loose travel but looks like I will?
Do I type or hand write the letter? The instructions just say written letter.
Any one have a template or what to say on the letter?

Thank You

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought in to the Westgate vacation villas. I have about 5 days left to rescind my contract but want to know if I should. .....Do I type or hand write the letter? The instructions just say written letter. Any one have a template or what to say on the letter?

ABSOLUTELY rescind. For more reasons that I care to type out, you simply don't want to have ANYTHING to do with slimy Westgate.

It doesn't matter whether you type or write the rescission letter by hand. You don't need a template. All you really need to say is "I hereby exercise my legal right under Florida law to cancel this contract" (include identification of the purchase and the date on which you executed contract). Include a photocopy of the contract (save the original) and sign the letter. Done. You do not need to offer any reason or story or any further explanation whatsoever; you are simply exercising a right which is provided by law. Anyone else who may have signed the contract should also sign the rescission letter. Send the rescission letter by certified mail and save your USPS hand stamped, dated receipt. What matters here is the postmark date of your rescission letter, not the date when your letter is received later. Under FL law, you have 10 days from contract execution to rescind. Every day (including weekend days) counts. Tick tock.

Don't give any further thought to the imaginary "benefits" that you may think you could be "giving up". Those "benefits" have little or no real value; it's all just Westgate marketing smoke and mirrors. There are many better (and cheaper) travel and timeshare options available. Rescind now, research later.

Cancel this Westgate contract while you still can --- or you will forever regret not doing so. Period, amen.

P.S. Do not answer the phone when they attempt to call you later in a desperate effort to try to salvage the sale. Just let the law work for you. You'll get 100% of your deposit back, although that part could (but likely won't) take up to 45 days. Get writing. Don't delay.

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have unlimited getaway weeks at the cost of $45-$499, discount on cruises, can trade are week to another resort for $150-175. We also have travel partners (referral system to make money $45 for sitting thought presentation and $600 for buyers).
If I got rid of it would I loose travel partners?

If I rescind I do not want to loose travel but looks like I will?

Whatever perks they offered you are barely worth the paper they're written on. Compare that to the $9000 you would have paid plus the yearly MFs and, believe me, you won't miss any of those perks.

BTW, just out of curiosity (if you care to share that gut-wrenching experience), what did they offer you to sit through that presentation? And how long into the presentation was it (I'm guessing more than 90 minutes) that you finally caved in and agreed to purchase?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Since many people on this site call Westgate Wastegate, I think it's wise to rescind. There is not a Westgate unit worth $1 resale. I would never buy Westgate, even for $1. I know what you saw was great, even awesome, but just look at some of the older properties, and it's a no-brainer to buy something much better. Westgate has some trashy-looking properties. Look at the one around the corner from Westgate Lakes, on the south side of Westgate Lakes. It's a dump now. That says volumes about the company.

For the money you were paying, you can buy a great Hilton points package resale. Sellingtimeshares.net is Seth Nock's site, and he and the other brokers are amazing at finding you a great deal on a Hilton package. Hilton has top-rated resorts in Orlando, Vegas, NYC, and Hawaii. You were spending the money on timeshare, having been sold on the concept. Go for the Hilton points, that's my advice.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Put this into perspective:
$9,000 buy in @ 3% simple earned interest is $270. Times 2 as you would own only a EVEN or ODD year usage. That is $540 you could put into your bank account call "My every other year vacation housing fund".

As you stated an $800 MF fees ... not clear if that was a yearly fee (and will first assume yearly). That is $1600 cost plus the $540 in foregone interest.

Now that means 1 week (7 night stay) every other year would "cost" you $2140 per week or about $305 nightly. And you think this is a GOOD DEAL? Esp as these management costs go UP every year.

As for the associated management company .. Westgate .... I would not let anyone other than my worst enemy buy into a resort owned & managed by them ... but just my very personal opinion.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Also, if they gave you anything as a result of the purchase, like a binder, CDs, DVDs or other promotional details, be sure to send that back also. Preferably through Media Mail and reference in your rescission letter than you are returning it under separate cover. Do expect if they upgraded your room, gave you vouchers or meals above and beyond what they would have given you had you taken a tour and not bought, that the costs of such items can be withheld from your deposit refund.

Reaction score
The one problem we have is the we are still at the hotel. We are still deciding is we want to stay another night and leave Monday instead of tomorrow. I recall at are cheap hotel (the one westgate like to remind you off) had a computer and printer in the office, not sure if it works. Hell even are room had a computer but we have the laptop here. So still do not have a copier and possibly a computer. If we cant get it done here (do not know about if I can use the library computers here) then we have to do it at home witch is 2 days of driving leaving us with a few days.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If you could find a Fedex Store (fka Kinkos) you could perhaps type something up there and print it out. Whatever you do, don't go back to the sales gallery and try to cancel. The only legally recognized rescission will be what you mail in. They may tell you that they accept your verbal cancellation, but I wouldn't count on it.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hand write the rescind letter and make several copies. Block printing is allowed.

Computers have made us all lazy. ;)

Last edited:

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The one problem we have is the we are still at the hotel. We are still deciding is we want to stay another night and leave Monday instead of tomorrow. I recall at are cheap hotel (the one westgate like to remind you off) had a computer and printer in the office, not sure if it works. Hell even are room had a computer but we have the laptop here. So still do not have a copier and possibly a computer. If we cant get it done here (do not know about if I can use the library computers here) then we have to do it at home witch is 2 days of driving leaving us with a few days.

Do whatever it takes to get it all done, however inconvenient that may be, but do not miss the FL 10 days deadline to obtain a certified mail date stamped USPS receipt for a mailed rescission letter. Once it closes, that rescission door is locked and cannot be reopened. Remember that every day (including weekend days) counts here. Only a very few states allow a rescission period that is as long as 10 days, so you are already very lucky. A few states allow only 3 days to cancel, most allow 5-7 days. Only FL, TN and a very few others provide a time period as long as 10 days to cancel.

It has just occurred to me that Monday is Presidents' Day (a Federal holiday; all post offices will be closed), so your next opportunity to send USPS certified mail and get a date stamped receipt from a USPS counter now won't actually be until Tuesday. I hope that is still within your 10 days to rescind.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We are assuming that the OP bought in Florida. It is possible that they bought Westgate Vacation Villas outside of Florida and thus the rescission period could be as short as 5 days if they bought in Las Vegas.

vacationhopeful

TUG Member
Reaction score
Google "US Post Offices" for window service hours.

In my area, there are still some post offices (within a 45-90 minute drive each way). Call the post office to make SURE they have not modified the window hours. Saturday HOURS might be possible. Sunday opened offices are really few and far now a days. Holidays, I believe, follow the Sunday hours operating times.

Only USPS service posted times on receipts are legal ... other services like Fed Ex is 'signed for delivery' receipt.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are assuming that the OP bought in Florida. It is possible that they bought Westgate Vacation Villas outside of Florida and thus the rescission period could be as short as 5 days if they bought in Las Vegas.

Excellent point! I did not consider (or even know, quite frankly) that there is another Westgate Vacation Villas outside of Florida.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Excellent point! I did not consider (or even know, quite frankly) that there is another Westgate Vacation Villas outside of Florida. :eek:
There may or may not be, but either way, I am sure that Westgate would sell them a property in Florida even if they were touring in another state. The OP did say they had 5 more days, so that would put them at Wednesday at the latest to get their rescission letter out.

Reaction score
I got a bunch of responding to to do. We are in in Kissimmee, FL. Like I said vacation villa that is where it at. It would be Thursday/Friday (depends how you count it) is the last day to post mark. I just rounded the number but we got it on the 14th.
I would like two get it out before we leave for 3 reasons. 1. I get it over with faster. 2. Last time I drove home I got relay sick and end up taking 5 day to drive home to Iowa. 3. I do not want want anyone back home finding out about this. Looks like I will be sending it out on the road.

So there is two vacation villa? I know Westgate has 2 other resorts (lake and something else) near this one. I did notice villas (I) guess they could use another in a different state.

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
So there is two vacation villa? I know Westgate has 2 other resorts (lake and something else) near this one. I did notice villas (I) guess they could use another in a different state.

None of this matters --- don't get distracted by irrelevant side issues.
Your only concern should be completion and submission of your rescission, sent by certified U.S. Mail while you are still within the 10 days allowed by FL law. If you snooze, you lose.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
There may or may not be. My point was that Westgate, and many other developers, sell in many states and there is no requirement that you buy at the property that you are taking the presentation. Someone in Nevada can buy a property in Florida, and vice versa.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lots of supermarkets (or Staples/Office Depot) have copiers, so you can get the copies you need, and hand write the rescission letter. Send It to the Ocoee FL office, and say that you'll return their promotional materials under separate cover (cheapest way). Or don't. It's your money. But this way, you get to keep it.

Jim

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
congrats on rescinding and saving 9k!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
congrats on rescinding and saving 9k!

Let's hope he got 'er done, as that rescission door is surely closing or already closed and locked by now.

It's gratifying when folks come here back to report on their successful contract cancellations after having been guided on how to do so.
Gotta wonder however, when the guidance provided later yields only "crickets". :shrug:

Last edited:

OleBlue

Reaction score
Hello , I want to say thanks in advance,

Was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is efficient enough recind letter. I am planning on sending out today certified return receipt!!!