• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need help planing BBQ at beach

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
My daughter will be 21 on 8/31. She has worked at the beach for the last 2 summers as an EMT. She has decided that she wants her 21st. birthday party to be at the beach where she works. I am so not a beach person. So, I really need help. We are expecting 40 or so people. She has a pavilion reserved for us that has electric, and a very large charcoal grill. I have sent out invitations for that day, with the party from 11-6. I know that a lot of people will come at different times, especially those with children. I am trying to figure out how to do the food. We have hired someone to come and cook. I will bring everything, and this person will cook and watch our stuff if everyone is on the beach at once. Should I bring sternos to keep food hot? Should I plan on cooking right away for lunch, and then again for dinner? Should I plan on cooking all day when ever someone wants something? What about salads, and putting them out, then keeping them cold etc.? I was figuring on hamburgers, hot dogs, steak, chicken, maybe corn on the cob. I bought 4 pounds of frozen raw shrimp from Costco that I thought I would put on wooden skewers. Also bought marshmallows and the kids can use the wooden sticks. I'll soak them in water first. What else should I do about food and how to go about serving for all that time? I am bringing a big coffee pot, and made chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies. Someone is bringing blueberry pie.
We also bought canned soda, bottles of water and juice boxes. No glasss is allowed, so we are going to get a 1/4 or 1/4 keg of beer, and I bought those boxes of wine. Man, this is a lot of work!! Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.

swift

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We also bought canned soda, bottles of water and juice boxes. No glasss is allowed, so we are going to get a 1/4 or 1/4 keg of beer, and I bought those boxes of wine. Man, this is a lot of work!! Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks.

I assume since this will be at the beach that these kids will be arriving in cars. A good idea may be to have a box for the kids to check their keys into when they arrive. When leaving they need to either have a designated driver or show that they are capable of driving to get their keys back at the end of the party.

Last edited:

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Actually, by "kids", I mean little kids! The other "Kids" that are her age will all be working on the beach at the time, or her other friends will be coming with parents. So the "kids" that are working will not be drinking. Unfortunately, most of her friends have gone back to school. So it is really going to be a big party for mom, dad, and siblings as well.

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, by "kids", I mean little kids! The other "Kids" that are her age will all be working on the beach at the time, or her other friends will be coming with parents. So the "kids" that are working will not be drinking. Unfortunately, most of her friends have gone back to school. So it is really going to be a big party for mom, dad, and siblings as well.

You may have to cook all day. People may want to eat at different times. Make sure you have plenty of coolers with ice. Bring extra. I would also check the rules on drinking. you may just want to do cold drinks. Remember, less is better. The more things you add to your list will make you go nuts. The beach is for relaxing. Do not stress out. I would not leave food out too long. Enjoy.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We sort of do this over 4th of July at our back yard pool. Long story short, people come in and out all day long. We cook in waves effectively and just a little more than our present count. Once everyone has eaten, we put the food back in the cooler(s). As more come we do another wave of cooking.

Chips, dips like bean & salsa (things that dont' spoil quick) and a cooler of sodas are out and available at all times and the grill gets utilized at the start, again early - mid afternoon and usually once again late afternoon for the late arrivals and those who want to eat again.

Hot Dogs and burgers are great because you don't have alot invested should you want/need to toss. We usually do chicken and steak as well but have a refrigerator at the house.

It's a casual thing & as such you go with the flow. There's usually a group feel to when people want to eat vs out playing.