• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Help in Selecting TS Location for Friend

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts: Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Shadow Ridge
I need your help in helping a good friend select a TS location. First, a bit of background...she's a great friend who is in desperate need of a vacation after taking care of her divorced, elderly, infirm parents the past few years. She has limited resources, so I'm offering her a week at any of my Marriotts or exchange thru II. She has the II book, but is at a loss to select a location because of her travel preferences.

Unlike DH and I, who up to this point, use our TSs for rest and relaxation, she's interested in cultural, historical, antiquities, churches, etc. She is not into fun in the sun, outdoors stuff or relaxation on vacation! Two of her best vacations were New Orleans and a tour of Mexico (Mexico City, Tasco, ...de Allende, etc) and she'd like something similar, using the TS as a base.

She'll be traveling by herself. She'll rent a car if absolutely necessary, but her ideal is deciding on the tour brochures in the hotel lobby and getting on the bus!

We're thinking Europe is out because of the awful exchange rate, but if that's not the case, suggestions are welcome. She'll travel in the off season, spring or fall.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Ingrid

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
From San Francisco - Hawaii. Tons of historical and cultural stuff.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Historic Williamsburg, Virginia, U. S. A.

Any suggestions?
Williamsburg VA -- loaded with nice timeshare resorts & full of historic sites related to the history of colonial America.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Denise...never thought of Hawaii as anything but relaxation and outdoorsy stuff. Can you give me some specifics she might be interested in? I've been to all of the islands and loved them, but we mostly did fun in the sun and hiking. Maybe Oahu. It's been so many years and it is my least favorite island, but I recall Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Arizona, Polynesian Cultural Center and some nightlife which she loves!

Alan...great suggestion, thank you.

Ingrid

beejaybeeohio

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best Place in the US to see the April 2024 Eclipse
Resorts Owned
Peekn'Peak's Greenwood Forest NY
some ideas

would be Santa Fe area, Boston, Charleston SC & Savannah. The dollar is doing better against the euro so don't rule out Europe if your friend is willing to travel there on her own.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Denise...never thought of Hawaii as anything but relaxation and outdoorsy stuff. Can you give me some specifics she might be interested in? I've been to all of the islands and loved them, but we mostly did fun in the sun and hiking. Maybe Oahu. It's been so many years and it is my least favorite island, but I recall Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, Arizona, Polynesian Cultural Center and some nightlife which she loves!

Alan...great suggestion, thank you.

Ingrid

Oahu is my least favorite island too, but it sounds like a good fit for your friend. In addition to the things you mentioned, we went on a fantastic WWII tour on Oahu - Home of the Brave Tour - we revisited some of the places on the tour because they had so much to see that we wanted to go back a 2nd time.

There are also several museums and the Iolani Palace

Here are more sightseeing ideas and I'd get her the book Driving and Discovering Oahu by Richard Sulliven.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
I was also thinking Boston. The Marriott Custom House would be perfect for her. Lots to do in the area and right across the street from the T.

Sheila

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
In the US it would be major cities to explore if she does not want to rent a car.

Chicago,NY and DC do not have Marriott TS Resorts so that leaves Boston which fits the bill.

I adore Colonial Williamsburgh/Jamestown area(need a car)-Marriott Manor Club.

M

mgmgrand1

Deleted

[Advertising is not allowed on TUG.-DeniseM Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

IngridN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you all for your suggestions. I talked to her earlier today and gave her your input.

Ingrid

aliikai2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would suggest Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta

Both have some great culture. Mazatlan is one of the oldest cities in North America with lots to see and do.

jmho,

Greg

massvacationer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boston:

History, Culture ( Boston Symphony, Broadway Shows) Museums (Museum Fine Arts, Science Museum, Aquarium, Gardiner Museum, etc), tours, guided day trips to Plymouth, Salem, Freedom Trail, etc etc

web link to Massachusettes tourism:

www.mass-vacation.com

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Take a second look at Europe. The Exchange rate is much better than just a few weeks ago. We went in Aug when the the Pound was $2 and the Euro was $1.50 and I went back a couple of weeks ago and the Pound was $1.65 or so and the Euro was $1.30 or less. Spain, UK, Germany are all good places to go to and soak up History. Traveling in the off season is best for airfares as well.

I would recommend going there now as things probably will not go much lower (who knows?) and for history of the world, it cannot be beaten. If that is her thing, take the opportunity now before the rates change again for the worse.

My second Choice would be Mexico for the Aztec history. The peso is also going downhill against the dollar so it too is a relative bargain now. As she has been there already, Europe seems a better choice.

Both of these offer the type of experience you indicate she might be interested in and are good to experience Culture and History from another perspective than the USA. If you can get London or Paris, go now for the best of times.

Cheers

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're not interested in Europe due to exchange rates/cost, you might consider going to Quebec. Quebec City is easily the most European of all cities in North America, and has lots of interesting historical and cultural events. Montreal is interesting in a similar way, with the cathedral and other cultural spots.

I'm not sure on timeshare availability in the area though.

Michael