• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need Discount Auto Rental for Orlando ASAP

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott's Shadow Ridge Enclaves
Resort In Cocoa Beach, FL
I just decided to join family in Orlando for June 25, but car rentals are extremely high. Can anyone recommend a discount company off airport with cheaper prices? I never rent off airport, but for this last minute trip I don't want to pay $450 for a week, economy or compact. I checked with AutoSlash a few minutes ago. I also do not want to pay in advance. Nope, things can change so I'd rather pay at the counter. I'm currently booked with Hertz via Delta for $450. I'm looking at all reviews. Oh, I notice that some of those agencies require auto insurance, which I never pay since I have an American Express Platinum card. Please advise.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I know some people have used Fox. They will push the add ons, but you need to be firm.

None of the big agencies will require insurance. The reps will push it and be persistent, but one can always deline. They may just take a larger hold on the card you put on file. Alamos usually works best as you can check in at a kiosk and decline all the crap without someone pushing it on you. Or even check in online.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Thanks for the suggestions. Alamo is my regular rental company, but since COVID, their rates are among the highest. I've been using Thrifty instead. The rate right now with Alamo is over $500. Thrifty is $465. I'm so sad about this.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you checked pricing through Costco? (assuming that you have a Costco membership). No payment in advance and if you pay for the rental with an American Express card, you'll automatically get car insurance for around $25, iirc.

That said, rental cost might currently be insane through the various Costco options too, I dunno. :shrug:

Ty1on

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stay as far as you can from Economy.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
I just booked with Thrifty at $360. They were higher a few days ago. I read some horrible reviews about Economy and a few other off site agencies. So far, I'll stick with Thrifty, which at least is on airport. I looked at Turo earlier today and the prices were high and some of the cars old. Since I don't need to rent a luxury car while on vacation. I will stick with cars that are no older than a year. I saw many cars on Turo that were old or high end.
Oh, there's no Costco near me. I used their website years ago when you didn't need to be a member to rent cars. That was the best ever.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
Whenever we rent cars in the US, I book the best price, and then check back every day. When i find a cheaper price, I cancel the previous reservation and book at the lower price. Sometimes I might do this 10 times before we arrive. Prices fluctuate wildly. I often found that prices tended to go down in the late evening.

Dori

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Whenever we rent cars in the US, I book the best price, and then check back every day. When i find a cheaper price, I cancel the previous reservation and book at the lower price. Sometimes I might do this 10 times before we arrive. Prices fluctuate wildly. I often found that prices tended to go down in the late evening.

Dori
I register my rental with AutoSlash. Then they do the checking and notify me when they find a cheaper rate.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
We have used Fox when the others were much higher. It's a pain to shuttle offsite, but the savings made it worth it. However you have to watch the tolls. Their license plates trigger the tolls, and if you bring your own transponder you have to register it for those days with that plate number to avoid duplicate charges.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Last fall I used Economy Bookings ( Cheap Car Rentals Worldwide (economybookings.com)) for a 22 day rental out of MCO on fairly short notice (2-3 weeks?). It was about 1/3 the cost ($700 vs $2200.) of every other company I tried including other discount sites, Costco and Turo. A couple of days after I booked we got an email saying prices had dropped and they had processed a credit to our credit card. When we arrived at the desk they had also upgraded us to the next higher class car and when we went to pick up the car the guy asked us if we wanted the next higher class car (so 2 up), again at no charge.

~Diane

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Discount USA Car Rental is showing Orlando city rentals off-airport for the week starting June 25 at about $356. This is the Mainland-based arm of Discount Hawaii Car Rental, a good resource. https://www.discountusacarrental.com

Costco is slightly higher. As to insurance, I know if you rent with the Costco Citi Visa, car insurance is included.

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Sadly, the days of cheap car rentals are behind us. I remember paying $89 all in for a week long car rental out of MCO.

jrb916

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you find a good rate, expect to wait awhile on service. We were at MCO in Feb & waited almost 2 hrs. to get our car. They are very busy & severely understaffed. Please make sure & pack your patience for the trip along w/ extra $$ for the higher prices.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
Undercover tourist has a package thing right now where it's 50% off or more car rental if you also buy a ticket to somewhere. I got a week for $300 with a one day SeaWorld water park ticket that was $45.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
As to insurance, I know if you rent with the Costco Citi Visa, car insurance is included.

I was unaware of this. Is this included insurance coverage something which has only been in place since Citi became the Costco credit card a few years ago? :shrug:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I was unaware of this. Is this included insurance coverage something which has only been in place since Citi became the Costco credit card a few years ago? :shrug:
I suspect the citi visa is just providing CDW coverage like many other cards do?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

As far as I know, it's been there from inception of the Costco Citi Visa program. You'll want to give them a call and confirm the level of insurance they provide, to make sure it suits your needs. But a few yers ago, after other credit cards started saying they were no longer providing rental car insurance, Costco said their card was still good to go, so I called Citi. They said the Costco Citi Visa coverage was one of benefits of the card, and was still in place. I don't believe that has changed.

Dave

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The Costco Citi Visa card provides secondary coverage only in the US (primary for international). Coverage is up to $50,000 and includes reimbursement for your deductible with your primary insurer. Important to note, ride sharing companies are not eligible so that means no coverage for Turo rentals.

Doesn't Turo offer their own coverage on all rentals through them?

Most cards offer secondary CDW and for many small claims (under the deductible amount), they don't even involve your insurance or require an insurance claim. There are a few cards out there that offer primary CDW coverage. The Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card is one of them. We use that one for most all of our rentals.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Chase Sapphire Reserve also has car rental coverage. I don't know how extensive it is, but we kind of count on it.

hajjah

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Update: So far I've found the best rate with Avis at $211. I haven't used them in years, so this is great and they are on airport.

mentalbreak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Undercover tourist has a package thing right now where it's 50% off or more car rental if you also buy a ticket to somewhere. I got a week for $300 with a one day SeaWorld water park ticket that was $45.

we used this option in March. We were able to buy a movie ticket for around $15 as the required purchase.