• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice on restricted star options expiring 12/31/2021

Sherobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Aventuras - Lagunamar
Westin Flex - River Front Villas
We were scheduled to arrive at Westin Kierland today. However, my spouse sustained a severe leg injury at the lake Monday that left us unable to travel. I had to cancel our reservations at Kierland and pay the $75 fee and now we have almost 50k options that are restricted and must be used before 12/31/2021.

I chatted with a Vistana rep this morning and she said my only option is to deposit them with Interval. I've never used Interval since we have only owned through Vistana since the end of 2019. Bad timing! Can someone direct me to a "How To Use Interval" thread or site that explains to newbies like me how this works?

I think depositing with Interval is our only option since the likelihood of being able to travel between now and the end of the year is slim to none. Thanks for your guidance.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
If you were due to arrive today then it must have been either a Flex reservation or a SO reservation. If it's the former I believe it can be deposited through your Vistana Dashboard, if it's the latter I believe you might be out of luck because only 'Use Weeks' can be deposited and not SO.

Sherobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you were due to arrive today then it must have been either a Flex reservation or a SO reservation. If it's the former I believe it can be deposited through your Vistana Dashboard, if it's the latter I believe you might be out of luck because only 'Use Weeks' can be deposited and not SO.

It was booked at the beginning of 2021 using Star Options. I just don't know a thing about depositing into Interval. I only want to deposit these now-restricted Star Options so that I don't lose them completely. I've searched the forums, searched online, etc trying to quickly educate myself, to no avail.

byeloe

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can't deposit restricted Staroptions.

Your only option is to try and book something before the end of the year and then rent it out

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
How to deposit from your Vistana Acct (Dashboard)-

- On the Dashboard look for MY CHOICES and click EXTERNAL EXCHANGE.

- Click 2021 and then select the deed you want to deposit (if there is nothing there, then you can't deposit it)

- Select the "component" - (which side you want to deposit)

- Choose whether to deposit as 2 separate sides or one 2-bdm

- Click agree to terms and click SUBMIT

- Then you get a thank you window with the details of your deposit - save or print.

- Write down your Acct. number so you can go to II and set up a log in.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
How to deposit from your Vistana Acct (Dashboard)-

- On the Dashboard look for MY CHOICES and click EXTERNAL EXCHANGE.

- Click 2021 and then select the deed you want to deposit (if there is nothing there, then you can't deposit it)

- Select the "component" - (which side you want to deposit)

- Choose whether to deposit as 2 separate sides or one 2-bdm

- Click agree to terms and click SUBMIT

- Then you get a thank you window with the details of your deposit - save or print.

- Write down your Acct. number so you can go to II and set up a log in.

A bit off topic of the opening post but what is the general consensus on depositing? Is it best to do the 2 sides separately or best to do the whole 2BR? I've not used II much so not sure of the nuances of two deposits v one?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I recently deposited an SDO 2 bdm, and I deposited it as a 2 bdm, because I already have several 1 bdm deposits. In theory, it should have more trading power.

Sherobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can't deposit restricted Staroptions.

Your only option is to try and book something before the end of the year and then rent it out

Thanks for the info. The Vistana agent told me yesterday that I could definitely deposit the restricted Star Options. It seems she doesn't know what she's talking about though.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thanks for the info. The Vistana agent told me yesterday that I could definitely deposit the restricted Star Options. It seems she doesn't know what she's talking about though.
If they were from flex options, you might. Give it a try. What I don't know is if they would be restricted as flex within interval- good until the end of 2023 but only usable for booking within 59 days or for short stay options.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you can make a II deposit - did you try the steps in post #5?

Sherobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think you can make a II deposit - did you try the steps in post #5?

I tried the steps listed above and have even more questions. It shows 2021 Kierland 1 bedroom and a 2022 Kierland 1 bedroom (in addition to my 2022 weeks). However, Kierland is every other year - ODD and those options don't start until 2023. How can I deposit a 2021 Kierland week if my options don't start until 2023?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Isn't the reservation you cancelled a 2021 Kierland week?