• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice. Looking for options for stays in Hawaii

Samuel Koo

Reaction score
I would love some advice. Looking for HGVC points to stay in waikiki.
We are new to the timeshare world. just getting to learn about all of the crazy things in this world...
Came from a time share presentation for GI. They offered a discount for VIP and the unit we were considering was originally $60K, down to about $50K for gold season, GI 2br. 8700 points annual with $2002 total MF. They offered in final, 90K extra points to close the deal which would need to be used in the first two years.

Now looking for some resale options...

1. Should I purchase a home resort in hawaii? GI or GW. Lagoon? I understand the open season is 6m out. Is it difficult to find units if you are not booking in the home resort window for spring break time? first couple of weeks in april for instance? e.g 2br

2. If I don't need to buy a deed in hawaii, any recs for where to purchase? (i am getting the feeling lower price per point about $1 per point and low mfs .1 per point is what I should be looking for? in vegas?) I would think if it is easy to book in the open window, even for spring break times, it wouldn't matter where I get the points?

3. If I do have to deed in hawaii, Platinum or gold deed?
I am trying to understand how important it is to buy a platinum week vs a gold week.

4. Once a decision is made on where to buy and how much to buy, who should I buy from? Should I use a broker? If so, recommendations on who might be good?

Thank you!!!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
I would love some advice. Looking for HGVC points to stay in waikiki.
We are new to the timeshare world. just getting to learn about all of the crazy things in this world...
Came from a time share presentation for GI. They offered a discount for VIP and the unit we were considering was originally $60K, down to about $50K for gold season, GI 2br. 8700 points annual with $2002 total MF. They offered in final, 90K extra points to close the deal which would need to be used in the first two years.

Now looking for some resale options...

1. Should I purchase a home resort in hawaii? GI or GW. Lagoon? I understand the open season is 6m out. Is it difficult to find units if you are not booking in the home resort window for spring break time? first couple of weeks in april for instance? e.g 2br

2. If I don't need to buy a deed in hawaii, any recs for where to purchase? (i am getting the feeling lower price per point about $1 per point and low mfs .1 per point is what I should be looking for? in vegas?) I would think if it is easy to book in the open window, even for spring break times, it wouldn't matter where I get the points?

3. If I do have to deed in hawaii, Platinum or gold deed?
I am trying to understand how important it is to buy a platinum week vs a gold week.

4. Once a decision is made on where to buy and how much to buy, who should I buy from? Should I use a broker? If so, recommendations on who might be good?

Thank you!!!

1. Not sure.

2. You are correct. Generally speaking, I think anything around or under $.15 MF per point is good. If you are willing to spend, a 2 bedroom plus at the LV strip (8400 points) or 3 bedroom plus (9600 points) there are about as good as you get for non Scotland MF’s.

3. Since you would be buying Hawaii for the home season booking window, you would buy the season you want to go to the resort. When you book your home season, you book your week in your designated room size, type and season. If you want to go during your spring break, you would need to fing out what season your spring break is and buy that season.

4. Judi Koz, Diane Nadeau and Seth Nock are three that come to my mind. You can google each of them to get their web pages.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Should I purchase a home resort in hawaii? GI or GW. Lagoon? I understand the open season is 6m out. Is it difficult to find units if you are not booking in the home resort window for spring break time? first couple of weeks in april for instance? e.g 2br
Welcome to TUG :hi:

HGVC Open Season Cash Rentals are available at the 30 days mark (not 6 months).

Since Spring Break is not the same week for all schools, it’s not as difficult to book as summer. However you’ll want to reserve your unit as soon as the booking window opens. With more resorts coming onboard, competition will only increase at this high demand resort.

HGVC Booking Windows - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?attachments/2019-reservation-windows-pdf.10232/

As stated above, currently, the only advantage of a home resort week is the ability to book exactly what you own before it’s opened to everyone for point based bookings during the Club Reservation Window (aka Club Season). However you must book the full week, in the exact unit size, unit type, and season that you purchased and checkin must occur on the designated resort check-in day.

Additional info can info can be found in this post - https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...y-resale-final-questions.288166/#post-2265897

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
if you want to stay during your Home Week, you need to own the resort and season you want, as noted.

If you aren't tied to Home Week, but want to stay at other times (booking inside 276 days), buy a unit in Vegas (low MF) and use it to stay on Hawai'i island. Nicer (IMO :)) and very easy for availability.

But I think you may be confusing terms on the various seasons. Please take the time to read the various and learn the system before you consider buying anything. It will help you make a better decision.

Cheers.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As explained above, if you don't want to stay Sat-Sat there is no point in buying in Waikiki. Just buy the 'cheapest' week you can find - 'cheapest' being the mix of points/initial price and points/MF $$s that most appeals. If you are willing to stay Sat-Sat...

Gold vs Platinum determines which weeks you get to go. In Hawaii Gold is 4 weeks in May-ish and 6 weeks Sep into Oct.

Christmas and New Years are their own 'event weeks' which were/are purchased separately and essentially impossible to book in Club Season. Aside from those, my understanding is that Presidents week and the weeks around the Japanese holiday of Marine Day (mid-July) are the hardest to book. The rest of summer and spring break behind that.

Different resorts also have different degrees of difficulty. Lagoon Tower is the most difficult to book during Club Season because it is next to the lagoon with views of the ocean and marina and the point chart is inexpensive compared to GI or GW.

My solution to the 'problem' of wanting to stay with my family in Waikiki every other year during Presidents' Week was to buy an EOY 2BR Lagoon Tower week. But the greater the flexibility of your schedule - in terms of building and length of stay as well as dates - the less it makes sense to buy in Waikiki.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Welcome to TUG. It is good you are conducting research. Take your time and read the TUG boards before you buy. Big differences view wise in the Waikiki properties. There are some units at GI that are terrific and some that look onto the air conditioner units. There are also big points differences between Lagoon Tower and GI, Grand Waikikian. Research and know what gets you the biggest bang for your buck.

The best broker for Hawaii is Syed Sarmad at Advantage Vacations.
https://advantagevacation.com/

Specialized agents like Syed, know of listings that are not yet publicly available.

The other brokers don't specialize in Hawaii, but do a great job with Vegas if you you decide to go that route. I've seen some good Vegas listings from Diane Nadeau recently. You need to see if they have the listing though so will need to search around because agents don't typically share the commission because the sale is too small.

Lastly, spend $15 to join TUG as it will be the best $15 you will spend to avoid the potholes.

Last edited:

Samuel Koo

Reaction score
So am I right to assume, if I do not care about reserving in hawaii for a particular week and am open to reserving in the club window, I should buy the lowest $ per point option, mf available, no matter where it's located? For example, las vegas strip property. If that is the case, I should only focus on point price and mf? It would seem that platinum or gold season wouldn't matter to me at the las vegas property since I am not planning to use it for that purpose.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Season matters for the following reason:

MFs are based on unit size. The number of points for a given unit size (say 1BD) is season-based. So, for example, a unit in Vegas may be 7000 points for Platinum season and 5000 for Gold. Same Mfs. So MF/point is almost 30% lower for the Platinum. Buy-in will be higher, but the MF savings over time will more than compensate if you keep it for any appreciable amount of time.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If you buy Vegas, go with 7k or more point platinum unit at one of the FEPS properties:

Flamingo
Elara (avoid Westgate units)
Paradise
Strip

If the points are 8400 or 9600 points in Vegas the initial buy-in may be higher and may take years for the MF savings to offset the higher price. Do the math.

Rule of Thumb for purchase: $1 per point plus closing costs. Sometimes you can do better on Ebay, Redweek or TUG classifieds if you are patient, but you run risk of buying from a fraudster if you don't do your homework. Depends on whether saving $500 - $3000 matters on a 10 or 20 year purchase. In the scheme of things you've already saved tens of thousands by not buying developer.

So it becomes a question as to whether the diminishing returns matter to your situation (plus you enjoy the hunt as a hobby) or whether you just want to say, "good enough" and move on with your life.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It is better choice for MF per point, long term, to buy Platinum vs Gold. Your purchase price may be slightly higher for Platinum week than Gold Week but the longer you plan to own it, the better deal is likely going to be Platinum. As others have said MF are based on unit size NOT season. So with Platinum you get more points for the same MF$.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems like you have two questions. One about staying in Hawaii and the other about where to buy. I think the best value for your money is 7000 points in Vegas because you should be able to buy that for less than $1 per point. Higher point properties will cost more that than $1 per point unless the maintenance fee goes up for that property. The value is determined by getting the most points for the lowest maintenance fee and that is normally found in Vegas.

But, if you are traveling with 4-6 people and need two bedrooms in Hawaii every year, you will need more than 7000 points. You should probably state your travel plans with how many people and how often you travel and if you plan to go to Hawaii every year. Than you can get a better idea of how many points to buy.

Keep it simple, points are points and gold or platinum gets confusing. Just focus on the most points for the lowest maintenance fee. Buying from a broker is the best way to go. There are several that are recommended on this forum and they all have different listings. Go with the best deal. Only buy HGVC in Honolulu if you plan to go there every year during the summer or spring break when it is peak season.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
So am I right to assume, if I do not care about reserving in hawaii for a particular week and am open to reserving in the club window, I should buy the lowest $ per point option, mf available, no matter where it's located? For example, las vegas strip property. If that is the case, I should only focus on point price and mf? It would seem that platinum or gold season wouldn't matter to me at the las vegas property since I am not planning to use it for that purpose.

Seems like you have two questions. One about staying in Hawaii and the other about where to buy. I think the best value for your money is 7000 points in Vegas because you should be able to buy that for less than $1 per point. Higher point properties will cost more that than $1 per point unless the maintenance fee goes up for that property. The value is determined by getting the most points for the lowest maintenance fee and that is normally found in Vegas.

But, if you are traveling with 4-6 people and need two bedrooms in Hawaii every year, you will need more than 7000 points. You should probably state your travel plans with how many people and how often you travel and if you plan to go to Hawaii every year. Than you can get a better idea of how many points to buy.

Keep it simple, points are points and gold or platinum gets confusing. Just focus on the most points for the lowest maintenance fee. Buying from a broker is the best way to go. There are several that are recommended on this forum and they all have different listings. Go with the best deal. Only buy HGVC if you plan to go there every year during the summer or spring break when it is peak season.

I agree with this post for the most part, however, I am not sure what the last sentence means. HGVC has the best locations and the most timeshares in Honolulu. At times they can be challenging to resort during club season so you need to reserve early. If that is where you want to go HGVC is your system. HGVC also has 4 resort on the island of Hawaii in Waikoloa which are easier to reserve. They are also developing in Maui. They have a great deal of presents in Orlando, Las Vegas, and NYC. HGVC trades very well with RCI to go anywhere in the world, however, if that is what you primarily want to do buying another system may be better. We have 6 HGVC resorts and vacation in Hawaii for months every year. If that is your desire; this is your club.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with this post for the most part, however, I am not sure what the last sentence means. HGVC has the best locations and the most timeshares in Honolulu.

Thanks. I fixed it to say only buy in Honolulu if you plan to go there every year.

Maverick1963

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo
I've owned Flamingo of 7,000 pt more than 10 years. But I have not stayed there.
Hawaii is my place. When our son is younger, March was the time for family vacation.
Now I visit Honolulu in October or November. Only once I took my family in August.
You have to make a reservation once the club window becomes open. That's a key.

Over the years, I have never failed to get a reservation. These two years, I somehow
manage points and gave a stay to my son as well. This year I am visiting Big Island and
Oahu with my wife. You would be better off if you should be able i)to avoid extremely
high vacation weeks, ii)to have flexibility to schedule your vacation and iii)to make
reservations 9 months earlier.

Samuel Koo

Reaction score
If you buy Vegas, go with 7k or more point platinum unit at one of the FEPS properties:

Flamingo
Elara (avoid Westgate units)
Paradise
Strip

If the points are 8400 or 9600 points in Vegas the initial buy-in may be higher and may take years for the MF savings to offset the higher price. Do the math.

Rule of Thumb for purchase: $1 per point plus closing costs. Sometimes you can do better on Ebay, Redweek or TUG classifieds if you are patient, but you run risk of buying from a fraudster if you don't do your homework. Depends on whether saving $500 - $3000 matters on a 10 or 20 year purchase. In the scheme of things you've already saved tens of thousands by not buying developer.

So it becomes a question as to whether the diminishing returns matter to your situation (plus you enjoy the hunt as a hobby) or whether you just want to say, "good enough" and move on with your life.
In terms of Las Vegas properties. What does the strip mean? I see boulevard as an option. Is that a strip property?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In terms of Las Vegas properties. What does the strip mean? I see boulevard as an option. Is that a strip property?

Yes, that’s the one. Great MF’s but high buy in price. If you are looking at 1 bedroom units, I would suggest not purchasing at the Flamingo. It’s MF’s per point is pretty high (over $.19 for platinum). The actual MF’s for a one bedroom at The Flamingo ($937) are actually than a 2 bedroom at The Boulevard ($873). The platinum 2 bedroom is much more reasonable ($.15).

Vegas and the Scotland properties give you the most bang for the buck. The buyin price for the Boulevard and Paradise are pretty high. The Flamingo deeds are pretty high too, but since there is no right of first refusal (ROFR), you can find bargains. Elara prices are low right now, but you have to be very careful of Westgate units (HGVC took over the property) as they have no HGVC points and are hard to get rid of.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
And with Elara all of the units that are the same sized all have the same MF. So a 1 BR Jr Suite, 1 BR Jr Suite PLUS, 1 BR Grand, 1 BR Grand PLUS all have the same MFs. So since the 1 BR Grand PLUS unit give you the most points for the same MF you should try to purchase one of the Grand Plus units.

The 1 BR Jr Suite gets 4800 points but for the same MF the 1 BR Grand Plus unit gets 7800 points. So 3000 more points for the same MF. If you can find one resale that is HGVC.

Samuel Koo

Reaction score
How can you tell hgvc or west gate?
Also is there a place where I can look at recent comparable closed sales for these properties?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also is there a place where I can look at recent comparable closed sales for these properties?

Read the descriptions carefully, ask questions, and if all else fails review the estoppel letter.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If you work with one of the recommended brokers, they should be able to ascertain whether it's HGVC or Westgate. The advertisement may also say how many HGVC points but you want to make sure they get you an HGVC deed.

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
rofr.net for reports of sales on units with rofr. Check completed eBay sales too. The estoppel will show if it is a true HGVC property or Westgate

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If you've already surmised, timeshares are great if you get the right property, but they are also complex and there are scammers out there. You have two resale options:

1) DIY: Many of the folks on this board are veterans and are comfortable with DIY risks of eBay, real estate transfers, and deed nuances because they have owned timeshares and have experience with the process. They know how to reduce the risk of being scammed. They also don't mind spending a lot of time researching options.

2) Work with a licensed resale broker: Contact a few of the licensed brokers listed previously for your timeshare purchase to see what listings they have. They will work with you through the process, they know what properties give you the best bang for the buck, and will get you a fair deal so you don't get ripped off.

You can go the DIY route, but you will need to spend a ton of time researching and working patiently through deals to get that "perfect legit deal that passes ROFR." The challenge as a first time TS buyer is that "You don't know what you don't know" until you own and have been through the process.

If it were me, I would pursue option #2 and work with a broker for my first resale TS purchase. I would consider option #1 DIY for a later purchase after I dive in and know more about how a TS system really works. FYI...we bought two resales via brokers with no regrets. You will get a fair deal and still save up to 80% off a developer purchase. Most importantly, they are licensed so you won't get scammed.

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I second Syed Sarmad at Advantage Vacations. I recently wanted a 2-BR Ocean Front at Lagoon tower. Almost none available online. Syed had me one in literally hours at the price I wanted/expected.

Do not buy from Hilton. That's step one. Also, Grand Islander is expensive. Lagoon Tower gives you more for your money. If you want the pretty much guarantee of going there when you want, then you have to pay the cost to buy there, which is clearly more than Vegas. If you are flexible on when you go, then you can focus on POINTS rather than home location.

Samuel Koo

Reaction score
What are some of cost and timeline associated with getting one of these deals closed?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Here is a thread that gives examples of each, but the 2 biggest clues on the estoppel are the resort name and the yearly points allotted. The name of the resort will read Elara for HGVC units while Westgate ones will read Planet Hollywood. The estoppel will read the yearly points on an HGVC units and the Westgate units will say 90.

Example of a Westgate unit estoppel: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hgvc-resell.282686/page-2#post-2220494

Example of an HGVC unit estoppel: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/hgvc-resell.282686/page-3#post-2225512

As @CalGalTraveler says above, it might be best to not go the DIY route your first time. I purchased my unit through Redweek and it was ok and you would probably be fine purchasing through them. The good brokers will help you through the process and make it easier.