• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice for MX / Caribbean destination wedding on exchanges or getaways

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i have a friend that just got engaged that wants to do a destination wedding “on an island” or “Mexico” for April 2023. She is a dear friend and I want to try to help her get exchanges (with guest certificate) for her rooms. She is thinking about 25 people, so let’s figure about a dozen rooms. I am open to other suggestions, not just timeshares. I told her Cheap Caribbean or Apple vacations might be best, but I want to exhaust the timeshare option first. Here are the considerations:

Most of the group is blue collar, average income, and so cost is a major factor, the room needs to be serviceable but not fancy.
The airfare must be around $500 or less RT per person From Milwaukee or Chicago O Hare.
All inclusive to be avoided unless dirt cheap, most RCI or II AI places that I am familiar with would be too pricey.
Anywhere in Mexico or the Caribbean, as long as there is a beach that would be suitable for holding a wedding.
It would be best if the resort was available in BOTH RCI and II, and would be great if they were plentiful. And especially if they were available as getaways, last call, accommodation certificates, etc. obviously with no 1 in 4 type restriction.

My first thought as a “fancy timeshare” person, would be to book my rooms at the Harborside and get enough wristbands for everyone while actually booking their rooms at the subpar timeshare next door to Harborside, (can’t think of the name), but I don’t want them charging anything to my rooms.

My next thought was one of the Vidanta properties but I understand that there are 1 in 4 blocks in some cases. I have 3 II accounts and 4 RCI accounts so not sure if there is a way around this Block? Figure that most people would be at Grand Mayan or possibly below. Are there blocks on the lesser units? I am only familiar with Grand Luxxe.

Those were my first thoughts, but I figured I could crowdsource some ideas from the TUG community. Ideas?

singingcowgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Haciendas
Vacation Village at Parkway
Grandview at Las Vegas
Trade-Winds Experience
I first went to Royal Haciendas in Playa del Carmen for a friend’s wedding. I had a blast! They put me in the lock off with another woman, a couple in the master and a couple more singles on the Murphy beds in the living room. It worked out great and I made new friends! The wedding was on the beach and beautiful. I think RH is AI optional now.

Loved the resort so much when I came home, I started scouring eBay for a unit and now I’m a happy owner week 2!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
My first thought as a “fancy timeshare” person, would be to book my rooms at the Harborside and get enough wristbands for everyone while actually booking their rooms at the subpar timeshare next door to Harborside, (can’t think of the name), but I don’t want them charging anything to my rooms.

Club land’or is the name of the run down dump. Apparently owners have no MF and the resort is not operating.....well, it’s operating as an hourly rental and all that the term implies.

Paumavista

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the logistical luck that would need to be involved with renting enough time shares at the same resort. Might they consider a cruise? We had my daughters wedding on a ship.... we had the ceremony and party on the ship (in fact people who weren't sailing could even come to the wedding). About 40 people sailed.....we were seated in the same area each evening for dinner...just rotated seating so we could mingle and share pictures, etc; we met for about an hour on shore at a port for island wedding pictures.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't understand the logistical luck that would need to be involved with renting enough time shares at the same resort. Might they consider a cruise? We had my daughters wedding on a ship.... we had the ceremony and party on the ship (in fact people who weren't sailing could even come to the wedding). About 40 people sailed.....we were seated in the same area each evening for dinner...just rotated seating so we could mingle and share pictures, etc; we met for about an hour on shore at a port for island wedding pictures.
I already “floated” the idea of a cruise but she says she gets seasick as well as her mom and sister. Yeah, I am thinking this will be complicated too, which is why I kind of suggested she look at like an Apple vacation type of resort

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Vidanta would be expensive given the resort fees, although you could book just the bridal party in Grand Luxxe NV and the rest in Sea Garden NV, that one is more like a hotel and located outside of the resort boundary but has access to the lower tier parts of it (Mayan Palace?).

Another option might be to use one of the hybrid hotel/timeshare places like Sheraton Buganvilias in PV. That way you could get a week or two for the couple, but the guests wouldn't be obligated to reserve by the week and could go by the day on the hotel side. I'm sure there are other locations that could be done (though I probably wouldn't choose the one with rooms by the hour recommended by @CPNY).

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Comfort suites on Paradise island comes with full use of the Atlantis campus.
But in general the area would be very very expensive for food and drink.

How about Westin Lagunamar? Food drink and airfare should be cheap and no AI.

Several of the Royal resorts in Cancun are non AI but it would be hard to get multiple units in the same week.

The Vidanta property in riviera Maya would be great. The grand luxxe units have 4 separate sleeping areas in a 2 BR unit. Even without the use of the living room you could have 3 couples share one unit. We recently did this for a friends birthday trip.

This is a tough one for people on a budget.

Last edited:

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Ditto Westin Lagunamar off season. It is a gorgeous big property. Requires minimal staroptions off season (late April-June) and I’ve seen many II Getaways for it too. It is right across the street from a big outdoor mall with many great affordable restaurants. Also an awesome taco stand less than a block away.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Ditto Westin Lagunamar off season. It is a gorgeous big property. Requires minimal staroptions off season, and I’ve seen many II Getaways for it too. It is right across the street from a big outdoor mall with many great affordable restaurants. Also an awesome taco stand less than a block away.
And you could encourage them ( other than the bride and groom) to do a Saturday to Tuesday/Wednesday for even lower SO stay

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Check out Sayulita MX. Very beautiful quaint small town. PM and I'll look up the name of the hotel we booked. Very happy with the hospitality and accommodations for a family wedding earlier this year.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Probably renting some hotel rooms near the Malecon in PV would be low cost option for 25 people. The Rosita and El Pescador are nice enough with plenty of food options in the area.

Maybe Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach in Cabo could work. They do have a one bed unit that sleeps 6-8 .

Bill

boyblue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Isle Resort Exuma, Bahamas #RN54, there are 1242 reviews on Trip Advisor and 941 rate it excellent and 200 very good. It's the best of the Bahamas, the location the people the beach all excellent, it's a gem.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
[QUOTE="easyrider, post: 2636714, member: 5600"
Maybe Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach in Cabo could work. They do have a one bed unit that sleeps 6-8 .

Bill
[/QUOTE]

That must be a really big bed. How do you coordinate everyone turning over at the same time in their sleep?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
[QUOTE="easyrider, post: 2636714, member: 5600"

Bill

That must be a really big bed. How do you coordinate everyone turning over at the same time in their sleep?
[/QUOTE]

The room is a one bed Presidential with two beds in the bedroom and these funky fold out couches in the living room. We traded one of these units and a one bed sleep 6 for a Motecristo Villa because PBSB had overbooked.

Bill

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
i have a friend that just got engaged that wants to do a destination wedding “on an island” or “Mexico” for April 2023. She is a dear friend and I want to try to help her get exchanges (with guest certificate) for her rooms. She is thinking about 25 people, so let’s figure about a dozen rooms. I am open to other suggestions, not just timeshares. I told her Cheap Caribbean or Apple vacations might be best, but I want to exhaust the timeshare option first. Here are the considerations:

Most of the group is blue collar, average income, and so cost is a major factor, the room needs to be serviceable but not fancy.
The airfare must be around $500 or less RT per person From Milwaukee or Chicago O Hare.
All inclusive to be avoided unless dirt cheap, most RCI or II AI places that I am familiar with would be too pricey.
Anywhere in Mexico or the Caribbean, as long as there is a beach that would be suitable for holding a wedding.
It would be best if the resort was available in BOTH RCI and II, and would be great if they were plentiful. And especially if they were available as getaways, last call, accommodation certificates, etc. obviously with no 1 in 4 type restriction.

My next thought was one of the Vidanta properties but I understand that there are 1 in 4 blocks in some cases. I have 3 II accounts and 4 RCI accounts so not sure if there is a way around this Block? Figure that most people would be at Grand Mayan or possibly below. Are there blocks on the lesser units? I am only familiar with Grand Luxxe.

Those were my first thoughts, but I figured I could crowdsource some ideas from the TUG community. Ideas?

Have you looked at Travel Up. They have decent inventory in many places. You can book daily.

Bill

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Isle Resort Exuma, Bahamas #RN54, there are 1242 reviews on Trip Advisor and 941 rate it excellent and 200 very good. It's the best of the Bahamas, the location the people the beach all excellent, it's a gem.
Holy shit that place looks nice, I doubt it’s affordable for this wedding, but I definitely added it to my wish list!