• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need advice for grand ocean, Hilton Head

noodlethepoodle

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Taking my family (7 adults, 4 kids 2-8) to Grand Ocean in August. I have 2 villas. What is the best building to request? Are there beach umbrellas? Free or rental? Best places to take in or go out to eat with this mob?

Any other info that you think would be helpful.

We are driving there so I could take beach chairs and other things.

Thanks.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kenny Bs is a great (and colorful) Cajun restaurant if you like that - and not far away,

Lowcountry Backyard is fabulous - but you have to go for either lunch are get there very early for dinner, or be willing to hang out and have drinks while waiting.

I have stayed at the HGVC location next door and do not remember seeing organized chairs/umbrellas - just a lot of individual setups.

Enjoy !

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
As for building location, with kids that age, I would want to be on the South side of the resort (right side in pic linked below) as kid friendly pool (Dolphin)/splash pad, etc are there. (And its close to the bar when the parents need a drink!!!)

Marley's Shrimp & Burger Shack is a good easy meal on a nice day (outside seating) for a group that large. You order at the window, and grab your food when its ready. Burgers are great. Its close to Grande Ocean, so commute is quick.

Also Mellow Mushroom (in same area as above) is a good meal (pizza, salads, other stuff) in a fun easygoing atmosphere.

You may also want to check out Marty's HHI Foodie thread for other idea.... linked here.... https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/martys-hhi-restaurant-thread-ongoing.211351/page-27#post-2770130

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
If your group is a biking group, there is great biking from GO (either on beach or bike paths (including in Sea Pines)) Can rent bikes right from GO, and they have bikes for adults, kids, bikes with child seats on them, bikes with tag along bikes for kids who can't keep up peddling, Burley trailers for kids, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Taking my family (7 adults, 4 kids 2-8) to Grand Ocean in August. I have 2 villas. What is the best building to request? Are there beach umbrellas? Free or rental? Best places to take in or go out to eat with this mob?

Any other info that you think would be helpful.

We are driving there so I could take beach chairs and other things.

Thanks.
As for location, what type of view do you have and how did you secure the reservation (points, owned week, exchange?). Assuming it's points and oceanview, I'd request starfish in this situation and highest floor possible which will likely be first or second, third if you're lucky. If any are OF (1 or both), I'd still request this building.

Last edited:

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from Hilton Head yesterday. My husband and I have stayed at Grande Ocean, Disney and private house rental on prior trips. Grande Ocean is wonderful for families. This time we rented a big house in sea pines because we had 11 and we wanted a private pool and large private gathering space for our family. The group consisted of my husband and I, our three kids and spouses and three grandkids ages 9, 7 and 5. We had a fabulous time together. We biked all over. We had bikes for everyone but also had the kid trailer so the youngest could either bike or ride in the trailer. We ate out at Reilly’s and the Smokehouse. We ate early both times. At Reilly’s we had a reservation at 5:00. They gave us a private room which was unexpected and perfect. The food and service was outstanding. I was a little worried when we walked in and it seemed more like a sports bar/restaurant. We would go back. The smokehouse was good but not as good as 4 years ago. The service was great there as well. We also got pizza one night. From experience on other family trips we have found the kids last about an hour at the restaurants before getting antsy. Because of this each adult couple took a night and cooked for the group. We had some amazing meals at the house. Have a great time!

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Best idea for beach setup rental we found was the HHI Beach Patrol. Nice to have chairs/umbrellas setup each day reserved with your name on it. You can come/go all day long easily without breaking down and lugging yourself. Either call/online in advance or just sit in a chair and a lifeguard will be with you shortly. Discounted cost for renting consecutive days. Hilton Head Island Shore Beach Services

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Harris Teeter grocery store (location near Grand Ocean at Sea Pines entrance) has an in-store pizza oven. Any pizza, any way you like it, is $8.99 on Mondays with the grocery store VIC card (Kroger card works as well). Price was $7.99 until a couple of weeks ago (I don't need to tell you about inflation :rolleyes:).

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Best idea for beach setup rental we found was the HHI Beach Patrol. Nice to have chairs/umbrellas setup each day reserved with your name on it. You can come/go all day long easily without breaking down and lugging yourself. Either call/online in advance or just sit in a chair and a lifeguard will be with you shortly. Discounted cost for renting consecutive days. Hilton Head Island Shore Beach Services
Thanks for sharing that information.

noodlethepoodle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who replied. I knew I could count on the TUG community.