• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

PaperBoat456

Reaction score
So, I'm new to timeshare. I've never owned one, but I do know about some timeshare systems. I got persuaded into a timeshare presentation at Sheraton Vistana Resort. (On the plus side, everyone was very polite and patient. I didn't feel super rushed to decide...even though the offer was for "today only.") Initially, I planned to turn it down...but some of the options sounded attractive. However, I have read here and other places that it's more worth your money to buy resale, and that you'll do way better.

Now, I was presented with the Sheraton Flex Program. I would be buying 51,700 StarOptions for $10,340 that could be used bi-annually, and I would essentially be deeded at 6 resorts (Scottsdale, Colorado, Myrtle Beach, Orlando x 2, and Jensen Beach.) No blackout dates.

Furthermore, my maintenance fees would be $539 for the year (which I can pay annually, quarterly, or monthly.) I probably should go back and ask again, but I think I have to pay this every year despite having a bi-annual plan. Furthermore, I would have to pay $85 closing costs and put a downpayment of $1,034. On top of this, I would be able to transfer my StarOptions to StarPoints which can be used in the External Exchange (Interval International) and Starwood Preferred Guest Program. I would be a Gold Member under the Starwood Preferred Guest Program, get unlimited week getaways for around 299, no blackout dates, and +50,000 StarOptions to use in my first year.

I understand that my full StarOptions (51,700) could transfer to 26,884 StarPoints. Is this enough to do much of anything with? Would it cover airfare costs?

If I want to book with Marriott via Sheraton Flex Program, can I transfer my StarOptions to StarPoints and then, use them at any Marriott hotel...or do I have to transfer my StarPoints to Marriott Rewards? Can I always transfer StarPoints, etc. back into StarOptions?

Last, I was given the option to think about the plan overnight AND buy a "try before you buy" sampler package. I can do either 5 days 4 nights in a 2-bedroom villa + 40,000 Starpoints and "freeze" the deal I received today along with the First Day Incentives, with my package costing $1,875 plus $195 processing fee...or I can do a 5 days 4 nights in a 1-bedroom villa + 20,000 Starpoints , freeze today's deal, $995 package cost plus $99 processing fee. The package price would be cover my downpayment cost if I decided to purchase the Flex Program 51,700 points bi-annually. Even if I don't buy into the timeshare, is either "vacation package" a good deal?

Thanks for the help!

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be buying 51,700 StarOptions for $10,340 that could be used bi-annually, and I would essentially be deeded at 6 resorts (Scottsdale, Colorado, Myrtle Beach, Orlando x 2, and Jensen Beach.)

This seems to me to be a very expensive deal for the buyer. 51,700 StarOptions will not get you much in terms of timeshare accommodations in the six-resort flex pool nor will it give you much trading power for your exchange options outside that pool. I suspect that after you start using these Options you will be disappointed. (Sometimes I think this is the sales strategy: sell too few Options so that the buyer feels compelled to buy more at a later date.)

I don't know enough about StarPoints and Marriott Rewards to address those questions, but, it seems to me, $10,340 is a lot to pay for access to hotel rooms.

bryanphunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Westin Kierland Villa
Kauai Beach Villa
Using Staroptions to convert to Starpoints (Hotel reservations) is ALWAYS a bad idea. Stick around TUG and read everything you can. You will learn how to maximize your timeshare investment and figure out which resale purchase fits your needs

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I just looked in the marketplace. A 67,000 star option EOY unit at vistatna villages(mandatory section) is listed for $1. You will not be able to convert to hotel points, but like @bryanphunter said above, that's a bad deal. I would suggest you look for a unit that has at least 81,000 star options. IMHO

PaperBoat456

Reaction score
Thanks. After punching numbers and looking at resale websites, it didn't look like a great deal for the timeshare...especially when I read on here that you're stuck with only the 6 resorts. I don't mind being in this area, but I'd rather buy a resale for $1 and know I have a set week.

As for just purchasing the 5 days 4 nights (and not intending on buying the vacation ownership), I think I'm not going to buy that either. I'm sure I can get better deals by shopping around...and I don't actually have any free vacation time right now for it...

To go on a tangent, I did find a Bluegreen timeshare resale in Florida for 3,000 annual points at $1 and $500 maintenance fees. How many points do you typically need for a Bluegreen 1 bedroom?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Run away from this horrible entry level deal. This will get you on their “you need to upgrade” train and before you know it its $100,000 to get the vacation you really want.

The maint fee is every year even though points are eoy.

Why swap for airline tickets if you wont have any points left for your stay? Might as well just pay cash for a fly/stay deal with the 2 years of maint fees it costs you.

Any Interval member can get those $299 getaway weeks, problem is those are not prime weeks, just leftovers off season in overbuilt areas. You can buy a $1 resale and join Interval.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
To go on a tangent, I did find a Bluegreen timeshare resale in Florida for 3,000 annual points at $1 and $500 maintenance fees. How many points do you typically need for a Bluegreen 1 bedroom?

I'm also a Bluegreen owner. You need 10,000 points minimum for a one bedroom high-demand seasons. This will get you into maybe two-thirds of the one bedrooms. A six night reservation could be made at most of the remaining locations.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Also, an EOY unit still requires you pay the VSE network fee every year so that is another $150 every year on top of half of your maintenance fees. I would take that into consideration as well if you are thinking about a yearly vs EOY unit.

PaperBoat456

Reaction score
@SandyPGravel Thanks for letting me know. I was told that it would be every other year...however, I know everything is in the fine writing. I was probably being sweet-talked. ;) I was waiting for someone to say, "And we will always have a tiny unicorn waiting in your room." :p

When you buy resale, do you still have a network fee or does it really depend on which timeshare program you buy with? Some of the resales I've seen only mention about the maintenance fee.

Out of curiosity, has anyone gone to the developer and said, "Hi, I'm interested in purchasing a timeshare. I can buy a $1 resale with $500 maintenance fees and a set week. What can you offer me?"

Thanks for all of the help! :)

WatsonC2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana Villages, Wyndham Grand Desert
Congratulations on making two good decisions: using Tug to learn about timeshares and not buying from the developer. We own Wyndham (which we bought from a developer for about $14,000-OUCH!) and have only used once to stay at a Wyndham property (we always trade into RCI for a couple specific resorts, incurring more costs). We also own Sheraton Vistana Villages, 81,000 SOs which I found on Tug and paid <$1300 including closing costs for (spending spring break in Maui on that SO trade in about 3 weeks). I suggest you start learning about several of the different systems by reading up on Tug before you buy anything. It will also give you a lot of time to see where the market is for a potential purchase. I spent months following posts and researching before my Vistana purchase. I think I'm very knowledgeable now and can make the best use of my purchase too.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Out of curiosity, has anyone gone to the developer and said, "Hi, I'm interested in purchasing a timeshare. I can buy a $1 resale with $500 maintenance fees and a set week. What can you offer me?"
The developers do not dicker on price - they will just give you a song and dance about what you will lose buying resale.

The developer has high overhead/incentives/commission to cover, so retail prices are firm. Sometimes they may add more incentives, but that doesn't get you more timeshare or a lower price.

When you buy resale, do you still have a network fee or does it really depend on which timeshare program you buy with?
Depends on the system.

With Vistana you have to pay a network fee, but that is what gets you the Staroptions that you want. The Vistana timeshares without Staroptions when purchased resale (voluntary resorts) have no network fee - and no Staroptions.

Vistana FAQ: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-to-timesharing-or-starwood-start-here.63224/[/quote]

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
The developers do not dicker on price - they will just give you a song and dance about what you will lose buying resale.

The developer has high overhead/incentives/commission to cover, so retail prices are firm. Sometimes they may add more incentives, but that doesn't get you more timeshare or a lower price.

Depends on the system.

With Vistana you have to pay a network fee, but that is what gets you the Staroptions that you want. The Vistana timeshares without Staroptions when purchased resale (voluntary resorts) have no network fee - and no Staroptions.

Vistana FAQ: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-to-timesharing-or-starwood-start-here.63224/

What she said:), sorry I didn't respond, I was bowling last night:whooopie:. @DeniseM answer more complete than mine would have been anyway.