• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Need a better understanding of TDI

flyboy0681

Reaction score
So here's my problem. I own a week at Marriott's Desert Springs I and decided that for 2023 I was going to deposit my week and attempt to maximize the TDI (Travel Demand Index) so that I could get better than average trading power. After doing some research I determined that Thanksgiving week of 2023 was within my season (white) and that it is a high demand week, which should garner me high trading power.

Through some luck, I was able to get the week of November 19th, 2023, Sunday to Sunday, with Thanksgiving right in the middle. I was grinning from ear to ear as I proceeded to deposit it with Interval. That's when my plan fell totally apart. When I received the confirmation from Interval it showed that the week I deposited was week 47 (which it is) and when I cross referenced it with their TDI I nearly fell of my chair. In looking up the resort, Interval has week 47 defined as low demand at 95 while the week before Thanksgiving (week 46) is defined as high demand with a score of 130. Looking at previous editions of their Resort Directory I found that week 46 is always higher than 47 and 48. Just for the record, Thanksgiving always falls in week 47 or 48. Mind you, I could have easily reserved week 46 because it was available all throughout the previous week that I reserved Thanksgiving, which were all gobbled up within four minutes of the window opening up.

Now to my question, is the week prior to Thanksgiving really a higher demand week than the holiday, or does Interval have it defined incorrectly?

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
If you look at the ii calendar (it is in "documents" but seems to only be accessible if you're reading something in the Community....). https://community.intervalworld.com/iw00sitez/pdfs/Updated_Calendars_for_2021-2024.pdf (you may have to be logged in), you'll see that week 46 2023 starts Nov 17, 18 and 19. So you should be in good shape.

But I've wondered about if a person booked on Thursday the 16th or Monday, the 20th how ii would treat it. I would suspect that the 20th would be just as valuable, but I'm uncertain about Thursday the 16th.

For 2022, ii week 47 has the high TDI, but for 2023, ii week 46 has the higher TDI.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I see that BJR beat me to the punch as I was typing and attaching files.

The OP's question is a good one. The inner workings of Interval International are mysterious.

The high demand week in Palm Desert is usually Thanksgiving week. Sometimes that's week 46 and sometimes it might be week 47.

The problem is that the Interval International weeks calendar and the Marriott DSV calendar may not line up.

I'm going to attach the Interval calendar as well as the DSV2 calendar (since I own at DSV2). Notice that on the Interval calendar for 2023, week 46 is:
1669170767529.png

Those dates are Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

But now if I go to the DSV2 calendar, here is week 46:
1669170999133.png

Those dates are Thurs, Fri, Sat, and then the Sunday and Monday of the prior week.

So there is a difference in the calendars. Nov 19, 2023 check-in is week 46 on the Interval calendar but week 47 on the Marriott DSV2 calendar. That date, however, does include Thanksgiving.

I believe that BJR is correct. Even though Marriott considers Sunday, Nov 19, 2023 as week 47, I think that you have deposited a high demand (high TDI) week so far as Interval is concerned.

Attachments

• Interval International Weeks Calendars_for_2021-2024.pdf
    32.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Marriott Desert Springs Villas II Resort Calendar thru 2025.pdf
    58.1 KB · Views: 5

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
You can be assured that II knows when Thanksgiving is, notwithstanding the TDI calendar. I own at Shadow Ridge, and Thanksgiving trades very well. So long as you reserve Thanksgiving week, with it in the middle, you'll be fine.

flyboy0681

Reaction score
All very reassuring words from you guys, thanks. But given that there is no transparency with II, is there any way I can "sort of" determine the trading power? Any imprecise methods I can use to get a sense of what I can expect in TP?

Last edited:

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
All very reassuring words from you guys, thanks. But given that there is no transparency with II, is there any way I can "sort of" determine the trading power? Any imprecise methods I can use to get a sense of what I can expect in TP?

Are doing request first (versus deposit first) searches an option for you?

Trading in II is more like “rolling the dice” versus RCI in my perception. At some point you just take your chances and hope for the best.

Marriott preference is at least one thing you have going for you.

flyboy0681

Reaction score
One way is to try to watch the sightings board closely and to see how much of that you can pull. You have to do it regularly because units go quickly, but you will get a sense for the things you can and cannot expect.
Please explain the sightings board.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
Scroll the list of discussion forums. You're not a TUG member, so you may not be able to access that particular forum. That's the forum where members can post potential trades that they spot which they consider desirable.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The conventional wisdom is that TDI is only relevant within your area (Palm Desert). For example, a TDI of 125 in Palm Desert should only be compared to a TDI of 100 in Palm Desert. A TDI of 125 in Palm Desert does not equate to a TDI of 125 in Hawaii.

BUT, a higher TDI is obviously better than a lower TDI, and if you get a high TDI (as you have) you can get good resorts, just more likely off season if not the highest TDI. Those with a lot of experience just natively learn the power differences.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
But I've wondered about if a person booked on Thursday the 16th or Monday, the 20th how ii would treat it. I would suspect that the 20th would be just as valuable, but I'm uncertain about Thursday the 16th.

Some possible insight on this. I just returned last night from a stay in Orlando Marriott. If I booked Thurs-thurs (ended on Thanksgiving, the cost of the getaway at least was significantlycheaper than if I booked Fri-Fri. At least in the getaway world II valued the thursday start as less desirable which I can understand.

Flyboy - without a doubt, join TUG, best $15 you will spend all year. I think II will always be a mystery, but knowing if you can "see" what others are seeing will help.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some possible insight on this. I just returned last night from a stay in Orlando Marriott. If I booked Thurs-thurs (ended on Thanksgiving, the cost of the getaway at least was significantlycheaper than if I booked Fri-Fri. At least in the getaway world II valued the thursday start as less desirable which I can understand.

Flyboy - without a doubt, join TUG, best $15 you will spend all year. I think II will always be a mystery, but knowing if you can "see" what others are seeing will help.
Just as a side note--I own at a resort that offers Thursday check-ins. RCI will not accept Thursday check-ins anymore.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Just as a side note--I own at a resort that offers Thursday check-ins. RCI will not accept Thursday check-ins anymore.
Wow, I’m glad I only booked our deeded week Thursday to Thursday once (December 23 checkin instead of Christmas Eve or Christmas Day). I won’t do that again — maybe. At least if I think I’ll probably deposit it. I’ll admit we once booked a trip to Hawaii for Christmas Eve through New Years Eve, but that was for us and mostly due to work schedules.

I guess II would have the same prejudice?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, I’m glad I only booked our deeded week Thursday to Thursday once (December 23 checkin instead of Christmas Eve or Christmas Day). I won’t do that again — maybe. At least if I think I’ll probably deposit it. I’ll admit we once booked a trip to Hawaii for Christmas Eve through New Years Eve, but that was for us and mostly due to work schedules.

I guess II would have the same prejudice?

I don't think II does have the same thing. I just remember that about six years ago, I had booked a Thursday to Thursday and then later decided to deposit it in RCI. The rep at the resort told me that RCI was not accepting Thursday check-ins anymore and helped me move my two reservations (for a lockout) to a Friday check-in and a Saturday check-in. I haven't tried Thursdays since.

Corinne

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think II does have the same thing. I just remember that about six years ago, I had booked a Thursday to Thursday and then later decided to deposit it in RCI. The rep at the resort told me that RCI was not accepting Thursday check-ins anymore and helped me move my two reservations (for a lockout) to a Friday check-in and a Saturday check-in. I haven't tried Thursdays since.
I own at a resort (Blue Whale in Oceanside, CA) that has Thursday check-ins and RCI has always accepted those weeks. Maybe this rule was specific to your resort?

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Hmm, my deposit was for checkin on Thursday December 23, 2021, so I deposited it no sooner than early 2020, probably much later than that because we had hopes of using it ourselves. Maybe RCI changed their policies between your deposit and mine. I know I got lower TPUs for it than I would have gotten for a Friday or Saturday checkin, so maybe RCI penalized me that way rather than refusing the deposit completely.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at a resort (Blue Whale in Oceanside, CA) that has Thursday check-ins and RCI has always accepted those weeks. Maybe this rule was specific to your resort?

Oh, maybe! Mine is King's Creek in Williamsburg--RCI gets tons of deposits in Wburg, so they can afford to be choosy there. At Blue Whale, not so much.