• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nee Computer Help Please?

suzanne

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade RAM. I purchased the required modules for my system. I have Windows Premium Home Edition 32 bit operating system. HP Computer came with two modules installed 512 MB's each for a total of 1 gig it has four slots and is supposed to support 4 gigs of RAM one GIG per slot, for the 32 bit system. It shows in the BIOS that all 4 are there. But when I try to log on all I get is a blank screen instead of my home page coming up. If I take the first two modules out and replace with the old 512 modules that were pre installed everything works. How can I get it to recognize the first two modules and work? Now it shows that I have 3 GIGS RAM with the two old 512's and two new 1 GIGS installed.

Thanks,

Suzanne
:wall:

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Try installing the two new 1 GB chips in the first two slots. Leave the original 512MB chips out. See if the machine gets thru the system check routine and starts Windows. Then shut down and add the two 512MB chips in the last 2 slots. Restart and see what happens.

My guess is the main board wants chips that are all the same, i.e. 4 512 MB chips or 4 1GB chips. If that's the case you would need to purchase 2 more 1GB chips and sell the 512MB chips.

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Go to http://www.crucial.com/ and run the analyzer. It will tell you exactly what configurations you can, and cannot, use.

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Kal,

Thats what I did. I purchased (4 )1 GIG modules and took out the (2 )512's and put in all (4) of the new ones. That's where I have the problem. I can get to the BIOS Page by pushing the F10 Key, it shows all four slots have a 1 GIG module installed. But then when I tell it to save and exit the BIOS Page all I get is a blank screen, it does not go to my home page. I tried shutting it completely down and logging back on, it just sits there with a blank screen unless I push the F10 or F5 Keys. If I take out the two 1 GIGS from the first two slots where the original 512's were pre-enstalled and put the 512's back in everything works just fine. System shows that there is now 3 GIGS of RAM. It just doesn't seem to accept the 1 GIGS in the first two slots only the 512's.

I noticed that on the top of the BIOS Page where you can arrow over from MAIN to POWER , ESC , ETC. If I arrow over to power, it gives a warning messsage that all information must be correct or it can harm the computer. And then in an area just below the message, where I can't change anything it shows CACHE RAM 512 X 2. Is this maybe where the problem is? If so how do I get it to recognize the correct RAM Amounts?

Thanks again for your help.

Suzanne
:crash:

suzanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the website. I went there and according to it, the most I can get on a 32 bit OS, is 3GB or 3.5 GB, if I want to add more I will have to upgrade my OS to 64 bit.

Since it shows that I am at 3 GB with the two 1 GB modules and the two 512 MB modules, It appears that will be the most I can do. Thanks again for your help. At least now I know what was wrong.

It's not right for HP to say my OS will support 4 GBS when it won't. It shows the 64 bit OS supports 8 GB I supposes thats not true either.:annoyed:

Suzanne

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. Your computer should continue to work with "too much" RAM for 32-bit Windows. What will end up happening is that some of the RAM will just not be usable by the OS. since the total amount of addressable memory space is 4GB, and some of that address space is used to map in the Boot ROM, and some of the io devices. You said your computer isn't working when you have 4G installed? It should work just fine, however, the OS just won't use all 4GB of RAM. It will use more the 3GB and less than 4GB.

If you suspect that the memory is bad, then look for a program named memtest86, download it, burn it to a bootable CD-ROM and try that. Also, make sure that you have the correct memory modules for your system.

If you are having trouble saving the new configuration in the BIOS, then something is definitely wrong. You might try re-seating the memory, and moving the new modules around and try to narrow it down with memtest86 to find the bad modules.

-David

Last edited:

ace2000

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you're going to replace (or add) memory, the best thing to do is take out the old memory, and take those memory chips with you to the store and ask the sales rep to help you select replacements...

Not the advice the OP needs, but hope it helps someone else reading.

Replacing or adding memory is a very easy task to accomplish, and can make a noticeable difference with the speed of your computer.

Last edited: