• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nearest timeshares to redwoods?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Do you want to see a redwood tree, hike in a redwood grove, or be near the tallest redwoods trees? Redwood trees are actually very common in a 400 mile band between Big Sur and the southern Oregon coast. There are some redwood trees on the Highlands Inn property in Carmel and a nice grove (Muir Woods) a dozen miles north of San Francisco. The tallest trees are in the Eureka area; I am unaware of nearby timeshares.

california8399

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the Monterey area there is Worldmark Marina Dunes and Hyatt Carmel Highlands. Haven't stayed at either but easy access to Big Sur redwoods as well as the State Parks in Santa Cruz. Lots of options in San Francisco with the usual pros and cons of a downtown location in a major city (great locations with smaller units, expensive and/or non existent parking.) You would need a car to get out from San Francisco North or South to Redwoods. One out of the box option would be GEVC at Lighthouse Pointe in Point Arena way up the Northern California coast. This is not a traditional timeshare at all. It is more like a campground with nice 1 bedroom cabins. It is not near anywhere really so a long drive is required. Have stayed here and loved it for a true getaway with lots of peach and quiet.

Jodyv

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently drove from Willitts, California through the Jackson State Forest and south on Hwy 1 to San Francisco. The views were breathtaking. I couldn't believe how beautiful the redwoods are.....I had been interested only in the coast. I can't wait to go back and have been eyeing that GEVC Point Arena timeshare. It looks a little primitive, but I really want to stay there!!!

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There's a Worldmark in Windsor that would give easy access to the coast redwoods in Sonoma and Mendocino counties.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
You need to define your request a little closer. If you want Redwoods National Parks, then you need a motel/rental between Eureka and Crescent City. The nearest timeshare is 5 or so hours away.
The Redwood National Park is actually a combination of the National and some State Parks. There are additional state parks from Big Sur to Oregon along the coast that also have groves of Redwoods. The ones near Monterey (Big Sur or north of Santa Cruz) all were hit by recent fires so you will want to check access. Big Basin State park near Santa Cruz was a nice option, but I know they got hit by fire last year so am not sure what their status is.
The state park that is the most like the national park, outside of the NP, is Humboldt SP south of Eureka. It has the Avenue of the Giants drive with many hikes (long or short) through the Redwood groves. It's 3+- hours from either Windsor or Pt Arena timeshares so doable on a long day.
There are smaller state parks that are closer to timeshares as well. Pt Arena is pretty close (half an hour?) to Navarro River Redwoods SP (check for flooding as it's a low area near the river and along the coast).
There are some state parks closer to Windsor as well, but the closest one (Armstrong Redwoods) is still closed due to fire from last summer.
Worldmark Windsor is a large complex and the most likely to get a trade. WM deposits mostly off season weeks which is actually good for the redwoods.
Pt Arena is a former campground with single wide trailers that were remodeled or new about 10-15 years ago. They are very nice, but small at only 400 sq ft. 2 people MAX and only if they are sharing the bed. I have seen families with multiple kids and don't know how they do it. The sofa sleeper is a small one that fills the entire living room when open; nobody is leaving the place when that bed is open. However, for 1 or 2 it's a nice place; nothing fancy but it's the only timeshare on the Mendocino Coast so location, location, location. Compared to the cost of other lodging on the coast, they are a steal. There are lots of deposits here and you can get a real bargain in the off season via Extra Vacations. I've been there spring, fall and winter and enjoyed each stay.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Worldmark Angels Camp is 45 minutes or so away from a redwood grove with a wonderful (meaning easy for the whole family) marked trail. Calaveras Redwoods State Park

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Calaveras Big Trees State Park has Sequoia trees vs Redwoods; close but not the same. Calaveras has an understory of Dogwood trees under the Sequoia and it's especially beautiful in the spring when the Dogwoods bloom and even nicer in the fall with the leaves turn color; the multi colors of the Dogwood against the red bark of the Sequoia is beautiful.
Bass Lake is the best access to the Mariposa Grove in Yosemite, about a half hour away. However, they are also Sequoia and not Redwoods.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Muir Woods is about an hour outside of San Francisco in Mill Valley. Old growth redwoods.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bass Lake

What Sue said about Angels Camp is true for Bass Lake too. It's close to the giant sequoias (sequoia giganteum), which are related to but not the same as the giant coastal redwoods (sequoia sempervirens).

Giant sequoias tend to be bigger around (more massive), but the coastal redwoods are, on average, taller (tallest trees on earth).

And to also repeat some of what Sue says -- for coastal redwoods, my first choice would be anywhere in Mendocino or Humboldt counties. My 2nd choice would be anywhere near me, Monterey and the Monterey coast. Go hiking in Julia Pfeiffer Burns state park. My 3rd choice would be either San Francisco / Marin County (Muir Woods), or Sonoma County (Armstrong Redwoods State Park -- ETA oops, closed).

Last edited: