• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

California COVID-19 guidelines / Dec 2020 Cancellations by Marriott/II [MERGED]

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
I know that I'm not going to talk you out of anything. So, I'm just going to offer some of my opinions and thoughts.

So, I'm curious why, if you live in San Diego and drive up to Orange county why your DH would be required to quarantine. As best I know, both counties are in the purple zone. I don't think that Newsance's advisory applies to intra-state (within the state) travel. I'm pretty sure that it only applies to people entering or returning from out-of-state.

Newport coast isn't terrific for hiking. It is pretty much an urban area. But I like walking along the Crystal Cove beach as far north and south as I can. And there are a few other hikes in the area.

Best of luck with your decision.
Sorry, I jumped into a a thread am not the Original Poster (OP). The trip I'm likely to cancel is Scottsdale, AZ ... thus interstate not intra.

(Thank you for the hiking suggestion! :) )

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Do what you want and think is best. His highness's pronouncement is just that, an bunch of hot air, based not in science, and only a recommendation. The state has not imposed any rules, orders or any restrictions on travel, and no travel quarantine is in place.
Thanks. I enjoyed your description! Our decision would be based on my DH's work position ... which will take a very hard follow of anything coming from the state level. If the state suggests a 14-day quarantine, his project will enforce it.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Sorry, I jumped into a a thread am not the Original Poster (OP). The trip I'm likely to cancel is Scottsdale, AZ ... thus interstate not intra.

(Thank you for the hiking suggestion! :) )
Thanks for the explanation. Perhaps you could do a retrade of the Scottsdale reservation to something in California. I've seen some 1 and 2 BR Marriott Palm Desert using an accommodation certificate. The weather in Palm Desert is usually quite similar to Phoenix.

Steve A

TUG Member
Reaction score
The positivity testing rate in Riverside County home of PD is 9.1%. So take your chances I’m not.
Enter Riverside in the county option.

As to Dave repeating of the [deleted] arguement that we only have more cases because we are testing more, what nonsense. Of course we are and we’ll find even more with additional testing. So let’s not test and it will all magically go away.

Last edited by a moderator:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The positivity testing rate in Riverside County home of PD is 9.1%. So take your chances I’m not.

As to Dave repeating of the Trumpter arguement that we only have more cases because we are testing more, what nonsense. Of course we are and we’ll find even more with additional testing. So let’s not test and it will all magically go away.

What a silly post. No I was not making that absurd argument that cases increase when you test more. What I stated is "California has had a spike in positive tests, due almost exclusively to an incredible increase in testing. " I also noted that the positive rate in San Diego has remained the same, which is true. Nor was I saying we should not be testing more.

The point of my post was that the rules in California shut you down if you get more positive tests when you test more. This creates a dis-incentiive to test more and has nothing to do with science.

Try posting something accurate next time.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
The raw case rate gets adjusted downward when there is more testing locally compared to the state mean. The adjusted case rate is what gets used in determining which tier the county falls into. Recently, for example, a 7.8 raw case rate was adjusted down to 6.9 (numbers approximate - I'm writing this from memory of what I saw on the San Diego County COVID site), which kept the county out of the Purple tier at the time. This was from a couple of weeks ago, before even the adjusted case rate went above 7.0.

Today's numbers were alarming - 1,087 positives out of 12,349 tests, for an 8.8% positive rate. That is by far the highest daily number seen in the county, surpassing the already-record number of 735 (out of 19,799 tests) from the day before. Hoping it's a single spike, but it's not looking good. Time will tell how this goes.

Last edited:

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
We have a check in on Friday at NCV and with the Governor's announcement now we are torn. We mostly hang around the resort and do some sightseeing by car. Is anyone there now? If it's going to be an extra weird vibe I think we will pass but are very sad about it.
We were supposed to be at NCV on November 29th, and Four Seasons Aviara on 12/6, but have canceled NCV and are still on the fence about Aviara. We still have a bunch of free Bonvoy nights and 3 travel packages to use up (by mid January and early February) and just don't want to be away so much. I have been rebooking (and retrading) lots of trips and then rebooking again, since we don't want to fly yet, and are rather limited on the West Coast. I think we'd have been fine, as both NCV and Aviara are easy to socially distance, and we do not need sightseeing since we have lived in California forever, but have a grown son and his wife visiting over Christmas before they leave for his USAF assignment in Germany, and would not want to pick up anything contagious while wandering around the beaches and outdoor dining! We have another NCV reservation for late January, and have had great weather in January and February in the past. Not swimming weather, but sunny and beautiful. We are just happy the fire danger will be reduced with the storms now coming in. Our Waiohai res has been moved twice, and we now have a May reservation, but being seniors, the flying is a bit daunting. Still have to deal with accumulated points, but that can wait! With a granddaughter's wedding in Scotland rescheduled from last summer to June 2021, I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can be flying internationally again to use up some of those MVCI points in Spain and France, but not counting on it! Good luck everyone!

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were supposed to be at NCV on November 29th, and Four Seasons Aviara on 12/6, but have canceled NCV and are still on the fence about Aviara. We still have a bunch of free Bonvoy nights and 3 travel packages to use up (by mid January and early February) and just don't want to be away so much. I have been rebooking (and retrading) lots of trips and then rebooking again, since we don't want to fly yet, and are rather limited on the West Coast. I think we'd have been fine, as both NCV and Aviara are easy to socially distance, and we do not need sightseeing since we have lived in California forever, but have a grown son and his wife visiting over Christmas before they leave for his USAF assignment in Germany, and would not want to pick up anything contagious while wandering around the beaches and outdoor dining! We have another NCV reservation for late January, and have had great weather in January and February in the past. Not swimming weather, but sunny and beautiful. We are just happy the fire danger will be reduced with the storms now coming in. Our Waiohai res has been moved twice, and we now have a May reservation, but being seniors, the flying is a bit daunting. Still have to deal with accumulated points, but that can wait! With a granddaughter's wedding in Scotland rescheduled from last summer to June 2021, I am keeping my fingers crossed that we can be flying internationally again to use up some of those MVCI points in Spain and France, but not counting on it! Good luck everyone!
Ann, From what I understand Marriott extended the travel packages to August 2021 recently.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
We routinely travel from East Bay in NorCal to Orange County in SoCal. We find it perfectly safe and far nicer in the O.C. More restaurants are open in SoCal. Everyone still wears masks. YMMV but if we had a trip planned to Palm Desert or SoCal coasts such as NCV or Aviara we would feel perfectly safe.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what other kid friendly activities are in the area. Do you have recommendations? I have never been down there yet.
All the typical outdoor things that you have anywhere else. Hiking, beaches, etc. Balboa Park is a popular tourist spot, but the indoor museums will likely be closed. Will it be fun to walk around anyway? That depends on what you like to do. Personally, I'll take outdoor stuff over indoors anytime, covid or not. I think the most difficult thing with planning ahead right now is that stuff can be open on the day you travel and then end up being closed a couple days later.

The Zoo and Safari park have special tours for people in one household right now. You can look at those. I like the small private tours that they had before covid, so I think the current ones will be good, too. If they are still doing VIP tours, those are excellent, but around $600/pp. My husband and I did that for my birthday one year and we got to go behind the scenes in a lot of places and got to feed and pet some animals. Not sure if they still allow feeding and petting now.

Sea World will probably have a food event. I know they have had some and they even ran shows like the dolphin show. Not sure if they can still do that because we were downgraded from red to purple. Legoland had their aquarium open, but it sounds like they had to close it again. Not really sure. Also, several mayors in the county are not going to go after businesses that are open or not following the covid protoccols. They decided that it was the lowest priority and if the county has a problem with any of that, the county needs to enforce it.

If you are trying to fill 2 weeks, that will be hard to do. You might have a decent visit for one week. It really depends on what you like to do. I could easily spend a week or 2 going to popular hiking spots, beach activities, etc.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
San Diego and Orange County each have over 3 million residents, we aren’t all sitting home twiddling our thumbs.

We would like to thank all the out of towners for staying away...:)

Meanwhile I’m off to H. beach today for a nice 20 mile bike ride. [Deleted] hasn’t closed the state beach parking lots yet and I have the annual Explorer pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

sea&ski

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
San Diego and Orange County each have over 3 million residents, we aren’t all sitting home twiddling our thumbs.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No, I am sure you are not because when we were there in September, I was most astonished at the sheer number of people out doing things. Of course, it was Labor Day weekend...

Also, wrt to the hiking near NVC, we have hiked extensively in the El Moro area and really enjoyed it.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
The raw case rate gets adjusted downward when there is more testing locally compared to the state mean. The adjusted case rate is what gets used in determining which tier the county falls into. Recently, for example, a 7.8 raw case rate was adjusted down to 6.9 (numbers approximate - I'm writing this from memory of what I saw on the San Diego County COVID site), which kept the county out of the Purple tier at the time. This was from a couple of weeks ago, before even the adjusted case rate went above 7.0.

Today's numbers were alarming - 1,087 positives out of 12,349 tests, for an 8.8% positive rate. That is by far the highest daily number seen in the county, surpassing the already-record number of 735 (out of 19,799 tests) from the day before. Hoping it's a single spike, but it's not looking good. Time will tell how this goes.
Correct, but when most big counties are significantly increasing testing, there is little to no adjustment. So if every county increases tests by 10 and their "case rate" (I hate this term) goes from 6 to over 50, they should be shut down? This then penalizes all counties for increasing their testing, and it simply makes no sense to base on the raw (even if adjusted somewhat) numbers. Sorry, but no science behind this.

Yes, a minimum amount of testing is necessary to ensure you are not just testing the sick, but the positive rate should be the factor, not raw positive tests. The positive rate has been trending upward the past two weeks in SD, and that number should be used for shutdowns.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Orange County, where NCV are located, has officially gone to the restrictive purple tier per the Governor. I live here and everything for the most part has been open. For those who come, know that there will be some limitations on things youmay wish to do.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

As to Dave repeating of the Trumpter arguement that we only have more cases because we are testing more, what nonsense. Of course we are and we’ll find even more with additional testing. So let’s not test and it will all magically go away.

I have some question as to the significance of the positivity rate. I know that zero would be great (and impossible). But I think that it is a weak statistic. If the only people who were getting tested were those that had Covid symptoms and either went in for their self-test or were people referred by their doctor or hospital (if admitted) then a high positivity rate would be expected. In fact, a 50 percent positivity rate would just mean that half the people tested didn't need to be tested. But I also realize that a bunch of people are tested who are doing so only because they are required: Nursing center personnel, medical personnel, etc. who are probably tested weekly. Plus all of the people who are tested in order to avoid a 14 day quarantine. So, there IS some value to the statistical positivity rate. It is just a little weak without knowing the underlying universe of people getting the test. If some people's jobs are requiring them to get weekly Covid testing, then that statistic would be a valuable one. If we could somehow eliminate (from the positivity rate) the people who got tested because they are showing symptoms, then that would increase the value of the statistic. Or if the people getting the test were randomly selected....

I think that there a better statistic is the case fatality rate (percent of covid positive people who die), and also the "excess death rate".

But I accept that a high positivity rate generally represents a higher risk.

I'm encouraged though - - more and more people are wearing masks and are wearing them correctly. But there are still too many people who don't.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
[Post deleted - nearly all of your posts in this thread include political sarcasm. If you want your posts to stay up, follow the rules.]

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
Ann, From what I understand Marriott extended the travel packages to August 2021 recently.
Thanks. Online they still say January and Feb. 2021, so I'll call to be sure.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
Yet another guideline/advisory/order (??) issued today involving ICU capacity numbers and mandatory no travel. Anyone have any more info about this or anyone at one of the So Cal resorts and hearing anything? Supposed to be in Palm Desert Sunday.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Palm Desert is in Riverside County, which is in the same "region" as San Bernardino County and Los Angeles County. That entire area is in pretty bad shape as far is surging cases and hospitalizations. It is fairly imminent that further restrictions are coming, it will be in the next days or maybe another week. Until then, restaurants are still serving outdoors, and it is pleasant weather for that. Golf courses are in great shape. Living Desert is open. Lots of places for hiking. During the last shutdown, there were lots of great restaurants offering take-out, golf should still be ok, but they might shut down tennis and pickleball.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Palm Desert is in Riverside County, which is in the same "region" as San Bernardino County and Los Angeles County. That entire area is in pretty bad shape as far is surging cases and hospitalizations. It is fairly imminent that further restrictions are coming, it will be in the next days or maybe another week. Until then, restaurants are still serving outdoors, and it is pleasant weather for that. Golf courses are in great shape. Living Desert is open. Lots of places for hiking. During the last shutdown, there were lots of great restaurants offering take-out, golf should still be ok, but they might shut down tennis and pickleball.

I guess we wait and see if they shut down resorts to only essential workers. We plan to do nothing but hike and the rare, brief trip to a grocery and have a change of scene. But won't work if they won't accept check ins in the next few days.

But glad to hear the weather is pleasant.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Yes the state government decided to create an all new metric for shutting down, punishing those that are doing well. Continually moving the goal posts, of course always based on the science as interpreted by an all knowing single person.

So San Diego, who has had very low positive rates, no ICU shortages, very low death rates, very good compliance with best practices, now gets lumped in with Los Angeles, Riverside, and Imperial counties, all of which have completely FAILED in controlling the spread of the virus, failed at stopping mass family gatherings, have huge positive and death rates despite their more severe restrictive policies. San Diego now is joined with these failure counties into a singular region.

Sadly, this will only result in more reaction and revolts, because there is no rhyme nor reason in the policies, which are certainly not rooted in science whatsoever.

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
I original plan to go to San Diego for Christmas. So is San Diego in lockdown and has order for stay home?

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once ICU remaining capacity in the SoCal region goes below 15%, then the entire SoCal region, including San Diego and Orange Counties, will be in lock-down for 3 weeks. Most people believe that threshold will be reached within a week.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
My hairdresser just contacted me to reschedule my appointment to tomorrow because she thinks hair salons will be shut down. It seems like California is going back into shut down mode. I get emails almost daily about different things closing.

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is now some clarity about resorts and whether they will only be allowed to accept essential workers, now that the written order is available. This from an attorney (my husband who quotes the order) written in legalese of course:

Specifically, in-state lodging reservations can still be honored:

"3. Except as otherwise required by law, no hotel or lodging entity in California shall accept or honor out of state reservations for non-essential travel, unless the reservation is for at least the minimum time period required for quarantine and the persons identified in the reservation will quarantine in the hotel or lodging entity until after that time period has expired."

This provision goes into effect statewide tomorrow afternoon, regardless of whether the region has met the less-than-15%-ICU test.