• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Navy to Evacuate USS Theodore Roosevelt Amid Coronavirus Pandemic

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Bummer, maybee the space station is the only safe place.;)

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is not good for the Navy, Naval personnel and our national defense missions and objectives.
My greatest fear is an outbreak of this coronavirus on a nuclear submarine.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Navy fires captain who sought help for virus-stricken ship.

Richard

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)

Richard

Was inevitable. One cannot go public the way he did and expect to keep his job. But, in my opinion it was a class act on his part to fall on his sword for his troops!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This captain will be remembered as an unsung hero by his officers and his crew.

. He did not follow the chain of command. Thus, he was released from his command. His career is over in the US Navy.

I feel his true concerns were for the ship, the officers and the crew on his ship.

The mission and the objectives of the FDRoosevlt aircraft carrier could not be carry out with a sick coronavirus crew. IMHO

My opinion is based upon the climate of our current military leaders.

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Modly said: "This decision is not one of retribution."

"I did not come to this decision lightly," he said. "I have no doubt in my mind Captain Crozier did what he thought was in the best interest of the safety and well being of his crew. Unfortunately, he did the opposite."

"It unnecessarily raised alarms with the families of our sailors and Marines with no plan to address those concerns," Modley continued. "It raised concerns about the operational security and operational capability of that ship that could have emboldened our adversaries to seek advantage and it undermined the chain of command."

I think what the Captain did was right however, there is a chain of command in the military that must be followed. You don't pick and choose when to follow
it and when not to.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As a retired career Navy man, I privately applaud the Captain for doing what he did. I'm sure there are lots of untold stories from that ship about what is happening, and how much at risk everyone is. I agree, his career is over. Navy upper brass has a long memory. Bravo Zulu, Captain!

But on further thought, now I wonder about the Covid-19 infection rates on other ships, that have NOT made the news? The Roosevelt can't be unique among ships. And then, what about support bases, squadrons, and so forth? The implications here are pretty daunting.

Dave

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

Richard

I think its awful that the Navy fired the captain who sought help for his ship and his crew. I saw on the news when he left the ship every one of his crew came out side and started clapping like crazy. The Navy really did themselves a disservice by doing this

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
DaveNW, I have one concern this virus on a sub?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
DaveNW, I have one concern this virus on a sub?

Precisely. How can they know, unless the current crew is quarantined long enough to be clear of it prior to deployment? With subs usually doing blue/gold rotating crews, (one half at home while the other half is deployed), they can only control so much exposure. At sea, all it would take is one case to start spreading, and it'd be very hard to stop. Subs are small enough as it is, and guys tend to share a lot of spaces in very close quarters. There would be no way to practice social distancing.

I never served on a sub, but even on the biggest ship I was on, (USS Nimitz (CVN-68) a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, and identical sister ship to the Roosevelt), if someone got sick, a LOT of guys got sick. Colds and the flu spread pretty widely there, just from guys being around each other. Covid-19 would spread even more easily in that environment. On a sub it'd be even worse.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
DaveNW, Thanks for your service. . My Brother- in- Law was Chief of the Boat for over ten (10( before he retired. He was lean and trim then, all Navy.
He is now a contractor for the Navy flying from to Maine to Hawaii all the times.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
DaveNW, Thanks for your service. . My Brother- in- Law was Chief of the Boat for over ten (10( before he retired. He was lean and trim then, all Navy.
He is now a contractor for the Navy flying from to Maine to Hawaii all the times.

Thank you. It was my honor to serve. :thumbup:

Thank your BIL for me.

Dave

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I think its awful that the Navy fired the captain who sought help for his ship and his crew. I saw on the news when he left the ship every one of his crew came out side and started clapping like crazy. The Navy really did themselves a disservice by doing this

He embarrassed his do-nothing superiors so they took the only action that could make them look worse than they already did!

Harry

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
My nephew is (was?) on the Roosevelt. He's been pretty tight lipped about the details but seemed surprised that their ship was newsworthy.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My nephew is (was?) on the Roosevelt. He's been pretty tight lipped about the details but seemed surprised that their ship was newsworthy.

Likely because things like this don't usually make civilian news sources. Lots happens on Navy ships that nobody but Crewmembers ever hear about.

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
DaveNW, I remember the ZGrams and how it effective my brother, who was a Navy Chief at the time.
He retired as a Senior Master Chief after 28 year's .
My father also served in the Navy in aviation for over thirty plus years. Sometimes I felt my father loved the Navy more than his family. I rebel a little. I served in the United States Marine Corp and worked in the Washington, DC.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
DaveNW, I remember the ZGrams and how it effective my brother, who was a Navy Chief at the time.
He retired as a Senior Master Chief after 28 year's .
My father also served in the Navy in aviation for over thirty plus years. Sometimes I felt my father loved the Navy more than his family. I rebel a little. I served in the United States Marine Corp and worked in the Washington, DC.

Sounds like a very decorated family of servicemembers. You have some good roots. :)

My roots are similar, with my father (Coast Guard), grandfather (Army), and great-grandfather (Army) all serving, too. Both my kids also joined the military - my son (National Guard) was medically discharged early, and my daughter (Navy) finished her enlistment with a squadron in the Middle East. My Dad and I were the only ones who completed a 20 year career in the service. My family line has been in the USA since before the Revolutionary War. And back there somewhere, I have several ancestors who served in the Continental Army. Ancestry.com loves me. :D

Dave

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I believe there is another carrier in the a Pacific that has CV-19 infected sailors. So there maybe why he went public.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe there is another carrier in the a Pacific that has CV-19 infected sailors. So there maybe why he went public.
That is not good for the Navy the Pacific Ocean area.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coronavirus: Two US aircraft carriers out of action for a month I Daily MailOnline.

Richard