• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Naturally Immune People at Little Risk of Reinfection, Severe Disease From COVID-19: Study

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
The study was published in the New England Journal of Medicine. It was funded by Weill Cornell Medicine–Qatar, Qatar’s Ministry of Public Health, the Hamad Medical Corporation, and Sidra Medicine

The researchers, Laith Abu-Raddad with Weill Cornell Medicine–Qatar and Dr. Robert Berollini with Qatar’s Ministery of Public Health, previously assessed the effectiveness of natural immunity against reinfection as being 85 percent or greater.

“Accordingly, for a person who has already had a primary infection, the risk of having a severe reinfection is only approximately 1% of the risk of a previously uninfected person having a severe primary infection,” they said.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This may have validity, however this study was not officially published in the New England Journal of Medicine. It was an opinion letter written to the publication i.e. anyone can write letters to the editor at the local paper but that doesn't mean it is backed by source checking at the paper. It is unclear if this research has been peer reviewed and put through the rigorous standards of the publication. :shrug:

It is also unknown whether this would protect against Omicron.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The study was published in the New England Journal of Medicine. It was funded by Weill Cornell Medicine–Qatar, Qatar’s Ministry of Public Health, the Hamad Medical Corporation, and Sidra Medicine

The researchers, Laith Abu-Raddad with Weill Cornell Medicine–Qatar and Dr. Robert Berollini with Qatar’s Ministery of Public Health, previously assessed the effectiveness of natural immunity against reinfection as being 85 percent or greater.

“Accordingly, for a person who has already had a primary infection, the risk of having a severe reinfection is only approximately 1% of the risk of a previously uninfected person having a severe primary infection,” they said.

It is now almost common knowledge (or should be) that infection provides a level of immunity, but it's unclear what the point of this article is. People are better off not ever getting the full blown disease, which most can easily do through a vaccine.

The article also ignores the serious risk of death, and other serious complications for many if unvaccinated and they contract covid.
As such, I rate this article/thread another "Who cares?"

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
It is also unknown whether this would protect against Omicron.

Considering the symptoms of infection of the Omricon variant are reported to be very mild, milder than the average cold, then it would appear that we do not have much to worry about.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Considering the symptoms of infection of the Omricon variant are reported to be very mild, milder than the average cold, then it would appear that we do not have much to worry about.
Where are you getting your information? What I'm reading is:

"While scientists say there is reason to be concerned over the variant, they stress there is still a lot we don't know -- including whether the variant is indeed more contagious, whether it causes more severe disease or what its effects on vaccine efficacy may be."

There is a whole lot of we don't know in there.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where are you getting your information? What I'm reading is:

"While scientists say there is reason to be concerned over the variant, they stress there is still a lot we don't know -- including whether the variant is indeed more contagious, whether it causes more severe disease or what its effects on vaccine efficacy may be."

There is a whole lot of we don't know in there.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have known about this variant for a week. We know nothing yet other than the genetic code that has more substitutions in the sequence used by the vaccines ( I heard 10) and has many more substitutions on the whole spike protein (30) that has implications on natural immunity than other variants.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Thank you. If that remains the case, that's good news.
It can't remain the case, because it has not been established. Nothing in the article says the symptoms are less than a cold, or that there is ny consensus on omicron's symptomology.

Anecdotal comments from a single doctor, who the article does not confirm were tested for the variant, is truly meaningless, and posting the link to support the proposition that it has been established in any way that omicron symptoms "are less than a cold," is reckless and foolish.

But if you still think her comments are insightful:

"...she worried the new variant could hit elderly people who suffer from pre-existing conditions, such as heart disease, much worse than other groups."

"What we have to worry about now is that when older, unvaccinated people are infected with the new variant, and if they are not vaccinated, we are going to see many people with a severe [form of the] disease."

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It can't remain the case, because it has not been established. Nothing in the article says the symptoms are less than a cold, or that there is ny consensus on omicron's symptomology.

Anecdotal comments from a single doctor, who the article does not confirm were tested for the variant, is truly meaningless, and posting the link to support the proposition that it has been established in any way that omicron symptoms "are less than a cold," is reckless and foolish.

"

The doctor who reported that omicron is mild in the cases she has treated is Dr Angelique Coetzee of the South African Medical Association. She describes omicron as "a storm in a tea cup" which the msm has translated to mean very bad which is the opposite of what she meant. Her clinic noticed the change in covid on November 18, 2021. Dr coetzee has said all of the cases they have seen are very mild and because of the mild nature of omicron she thought it has been around un-noticed for some time and missed in other countries.

The mild symptoms include those of a not so bad cold with reported symptoms being headache, fatigue and body aches. The fatigue is described as extreme tiredness. Those in South Africa that have caught this are mostly men in there 40's so far with some break through infections reported as mild.

Dr Rudo Mathivha is the head of the ICU in Soweto SA reported that they are seeing many younger patients around 20 to 30 in the ICU with covid most with mild symptoms but some with severe symptoms. He said that Soweto's vaccination rate is very low.

Professor Ravi Gupta at Cambridge noted omicron has 50 mutations overall with 32 mutation on the spike protein and 10 on the receptor binding domain which makes this much more infectious than delta.

For now it looks like a highly infectious but very mild variant that has shown it can break through vaccine protection. In a few weeks there should be many studies and reports to show that this is what they say it is and not what Western Journalism presumptuously know it is.

Bill

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
The doctor who reported that omicron is mild in the cases she has treated is Dr Angelique Coetzee of the South African Medical Association. She describes omicron as "a storm in a tea cup" which the msm has translated to mean very bad which is the opposite of what she meant. Her clinic noticed the change in covid on November 18, 2021. Dr coetzee has said all of the cases they have seen are very mild and because of the mild nature of omicron she thought it has been around un-noticed for some time and missed in other countries.

The mild symptoms include those of a not so bad cold with reported symptoms being headache, fatigue and body aches. The fatigue is described as extreme tiredness. Those in South Africa that have caught this are mostly men in there 40's so far with some break through infections reported as mild.

Dr Rudo Mathivha is the head of the ICU in Soweto SA reported that they are seeing many younger patients around 20 to 30 in the ICU with covid most with mild symptoms but some with severe symptoms. He said that Soweto's vaccination rate is very low.

Professor Ravi Gupta at Cambridge noted omicron has 50 mutations overall with 32 mutation on the spike protein and 10 on the receptor binding domain which makes this much more infectious than delta.

For now it looks like a highly infectious but very mild variant that has shown it can break through vaccine protection. In a few weeks there should be many studies and reports to show that this is what they say it is and not what Western Journalism presumptuously know it is.

Bill
Every western journalism article I have seen says they are stil investigating it, and don't know if it is more or less severe..

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Every western journalism article I have seen says they are stil investigating it, and don't know if it is more or less severe..

The AP and WSJ articles regarding Western Journalism explains it in a very serious and ominus way with emphasis on infections, restrictions, speed of spread and need for boosters. Their words make it sound bad. Nothing too much about the mostly mild symptoms similar to a regular cold that leads to a natural immunity once recovered. You are right about them claiming they are still investigating. It's because they need a new angle for ratings.

I wonder why they don't know the severity now when the doctors that discovered this say it is very mild ? Maybe they think the infectiousness is severe but I don't see how they can claim the symptoms are severe as there were reports of severe covid in only a few people.

Bill

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothing too much about the mostly mild symptoms similar to a regular cold that leads to a natural immunity once recovered
Maybe they do not report on one dr (not drs) with anecdotal info. Also would it not be hard to say that when the variant has been identified for less time than the normal course of the disease? Responsible experts and drs are saying the truth.....we do not know.

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
Thank you Dr. Coetzee for not spreading the unsubstantiated fear that many of our "experts" and western journalism have chosen to do and will continue to. And for the few that find the need to dispel any and all comments that don't quite fit the status quo, please begin. Oh wait. They have.

The first South African doctor to sound an alert about patients with the omicron variant has described the symptoms as unusual but mild. In an interview with the U.K.-based Telegraph, Dr. Angelique Coetzee, a general practitioner from Pretoria, recounted that patients began to show up in early November with COVID-19 symptoms that were different than she expected.

“Their symptoms were so different and so mild from those I had treated before,” Coetzee, who chairs the South African Medical Association.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Thank you Dr. Coetzee for not spreading the unsubstantiated fear that many of our "experts" and western journalism have chosen to do and will continue to. And for the few that find the need to dispel any and all comments that don't quite fit the status quo, please begin. Oh wait. They have.

The first South African doctor to sound an alert about patients with the omicron variant has described the symptoms as unusual but mild. In an interview with the U.K.-based Telegraph, Dr. Angelique Coetzee, a general practitioner from Pretoria, recounted that patients began to show up in early November with COVID-19 symptoms that were different than she expected.

“Their symptoms were so different and so mild from those I had treated before,” Coetzee, who chairs the South African Medical Association.

In the article Dr. Angelique Coetzee also stated:

"...she worried the new variant could hit elderly people who suffer from pre-existing conditions, such as heart disease, much worse than other groups."

"What we have to worry about now is that when older, unvaccinated people are infected with the new variant, and if they are not vaccinated, we are going to see many people with a severe [form of the] disease."

But you already knew that, and conveniently omitted this from your post.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I think every one already know this regarding the elderly. The fact that the elderly are more at risk should be common knowledge by now. The elderly have many health factors that can cause a bad outcome that are often un-noticed until it is too late. Recently some doctors have found that spike proteins can cause inflammation in the arteries. Other studies are showing a covid infection or mRNA vaccination will increase spike proteins that can cause inflammation in the arteries. I read a study on blood viscosity yesterday that suggests that those that have had spike proteins and higher viscosity blood might be at risk for temporal arteritis especially in age groups over 60.

What I found interesting is that I'm in the elderly group now, lol. I guess this happens at 60.

Bill

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando

Unlike some, who I will not mention, I posted a link for all to follow and read the entire article at their choosing. So please, no omission, just the understanding that you're able to click on a link contained in a posting. Also take note that I didn't assume that someone who couldn't was, how did he put it again, oh yea, "under educated" I believe. I'm quite impressed that you did take the time to do so.

Any other accusations you believe you need to discuss? Should there be, feel free.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Unlike some, who I will not mention, I posted a link for all to follow and read the entire article at their choosing. So please, no omission, just the understanding that you're able to click on a link contained in a posting. Also take note that I didn't assume that someone who couldn't was, how did he put it again, oh yea, "under educated" I believe. I'm quite impressed that you did take the time to do so.

Any other accusations you believe you need to discuss? Should there be, feel free.
You are right, probably just better to post a link and let people read for themselves, instead of only selecting certain parts for them to read. Great idea as usual!

MdRef

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas, Orlando
You are right, probably just better to post a link and let people read for themselves, instead of only selecting certain parts for them to read. Great idea as usual!
That's what I anticipated and always a pleasure. Have a good night. ;)

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
That's what I anticipated and always a pleasure. Have a good night. ;)
Good night? What are you on the east coast of Canada? It's 64 on the beach right now! :cool:

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting take/data on the CDC "studies", etc.

8:47 and 12:45 segments