• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nationwide Coin Shortage

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a true nationwide coin shortage? One rumor is, there are some large banking institutions holding large bags of coins in their vaults..

Kroger announced today that they will no longer be given back coins in changes to customers. The changes will be credited to your Kroger account. More information about this is on the Kroger website.

Retail stores are suggestions you used credit cards or debit cards for purchases. The winner in these cases are financial institutions. IMHO.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Is there a true nationwide coin shortage? One rumor is, there are some large banking institutions holding large bags of coins in their vaults..

I can't see how there would be a coin shortage, but a lack of a safe way to handle and distribute coins seems quite likely. At this time, and in the current environment, I prefer not to handle bills or coins unless absolutely necessary.

Kroger announced today that they will no longer be given back coins in changes to customers. The changes will be credited to your Kroger account. More information about this is on the Kroger website.

Seems clear Krorger is using every trick on the book to push customers toward contactless payment methods. Their efforts with respect to Kroger Pay haven't been exactly smooth but given time, perhaps they will get this right. What I do not get (with respect to Kroger Pay) is why Kroger would go to the trouble of setting up their own pay product when there are other contactless methods already out there. Google, Apple and Samsung all have contactless pay method products (and I am sure there are others) so why would Kroger feel like a store limited pay method would be needed in the current marketplace is strange.

Retail stores are suggestions you used credit cards or debit cards for purchases. The winner in these cases are financial institutions. IMHO.
By this @pedro47, I assume by financial institutions you mean banks (and other institutions) who issue credit cards - correct?
When I first read this, I was interpreting this to suggest banks holding lots of coins as a winner.....

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Another related thought - if money (both paper and coin) usage drops significantly, what might this mean for the U.S. Mint?
Counterfeiting might become a thing of the past....

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Banks usually don't hold bags of coins. They would have rolls of coins to distribute or what is turned in. Large bags would mean they are also heavy and no one could lift them. The reason stores like Kroger won't give out change in coins is because they can't get the coins from the banks they do business with.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Who still uses cash? I try and avoid it if at all possible.

Kurt

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Kurt
I tip in cash so that the provider gets the money immediately and directly. I also have a couple of people I pay directly in cash. Dh pays for some work we have done around the house in cash, as we get a break in price. So, to answer your question, we still use cash.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Kurt
One of the few places that will be among the last holdouts for cash (and maybe coins) is the admission gate to high school and some college sports events.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I tip in cash so that the provider gets the money immediately and directly. I also have a couple of people I pay directly in cash. Dh pays for some work we have done around the house in cash, as we get a break in price. So, to answer your question, we still use cash.
Have you looked at cash payment apps like Venmo or PayPal @Luanne?
Just curious..

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
About half of our thrift store sales are in cash yet. I always use sanitizer in between sales.

Reaction score
For anyone who owns/owned a business, you can tell the banks love debit/credit transactions. If you pay cash, the bank gets nothing. If you pay debit, the bank gets a few pennies per dollar from the merchant. If a person uses credit, that's a few cents above debit charge out of the merchant's account. Some may remember the 1960s and 1970s when gas stations charged cash and credit separately. Now, they just include the credit fees into the price, or give a discount to cash/debit users.

TS

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Have you looked at cash payment apps like Venmo or PayPal @Luanne?
Just curious..
The people we deal with prefer cold, hard cash.

We did just recently get a bill from a roofer. What he wanted was a bank transfer. It was all done online from a link in his invoice. Very easy. But a lot of these folks don't use such sophisticated methods.

Oh yes, there are also the restaurants that only deal in cash. Not too many of these, but they do exist.

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
My wife has a friend who works at Walmart. She told us today that there is a coin shortage and that her store is limiting the number of checkout lanes that use cash. Instead, they are trying to shuttle as many people as possible into self-service lanes that are debit/credit only.

I have no idea whether this is true or not. I think stores prefer self-serve lanes because they can hire fewer employees.

geekette

Reaction score

Kurt
I do. Any time I take a trip, I get out a standard $200. I worked in IT long enough to have manual procedures (and to heed "help, credit processing is down!" calls). I've been through some places in the middle of the night that would only take cash for fuel, and gotten fuel in some places where I would not risk using a card of any kind. Most everybody accepts cash, no electronic services needed.

I'm a smart phone holdout, so won't be using any of those pay programs. Even my ancient PayPal account hasn't been used in many years.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cash can be very dirty. I had heard that China has been cleaning their currency since late 2019 as they had the feeling that this could be a form of transmitting the Corona Virus. I have no idea whether this is true or not.

Regarding a current coin shortage; This is true. A lot of money is taken out of circulation by John Q. Public, either for collecting, hoarding (in jars) or just not spending. Add to the fact that the US Mints have themselves shutdown due to Corona Virus and the US Government has not been able to keep up with the demands of the Banking System.

Speaking of our Government Banking System; Don't be too sure that the US Government is not currently "sitting on" millions of dollars of uncirculated coins that are being stored in Government Bank Vaults. I remember hearing that they "discovered" hoards of Silver Dollars thirty or so years ago (these Silver Dollar coins were minted and produced 100 or so years earlier during the 1880's and 1890's).

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Before Covid, I'd pay for things less than about $15 in cash ... mostly fast food and small purchases in stores.
Now the only think I pay for in cash is our weekly donut indulgence ... $2
I haven't been to the bank since March.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Handling cash is one of the reasons my husband left his Head Refund Cashier position at Costco. Standing at the register all day, taking back merchandise for refunds, and handing out thousands of dollars of cash is a dirty, dirty job. Covid-19 risks cinched the deal, and he quit.

I personally prefer using my credit union debit card for most transactions. It's MasterCard branded, and works like a credit card everywhere, except it only touches one account that has limited funds in it.. Gives me control, and I always have the right amount to pay for something. I'll use a credit card only as a backup. Carrying cash became extremely inconvenient, especially because I never seemed to have any change in my pocket, and I didn't want to have that loose change to deal with.

I found when I was saving loose change in a jar and rolling them to take to the bank, it was even more inconvenient in recent times. My credit union's local branch became an ATM-only location, and there was no way to deposit coins. Other banks wouldn't accept money from me as I didn't have an account there. Luckily, one guy at the Customer Service desk at Safeway said he'd take the coins, but to always ask for him. (Not sure why.) In my recent move to Nevada, I ended up bringing along a ziplock bag with about $30 in rolled coins in it, because I had nowhere to dispose of it. After I set up banking at a new bank here in Mesquite, I hope to find a place to turn in the coin rolls. So a coin shortage wouldn't be a major thing for me.

Canada went to a dollar coin several years ago, in lieu of printing one dollar bills. So even though they still have their usual selection of small change options, it adds more to it, because anything less than $5.00 in change is returned in coin form. They have $1 "Loonies" and $2 "Twonies" coins, plus the usual quarter, dime, nickel, and penny. It saves a lot of paper, but requires rethinking how money is handled.

Dave

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just as an aside to @DaveNV's point about Canadian money - I was surprised to learn how fast Canadian bills are pulled out of circulation and are no longer accepted at POS as legal tender. Once a bill is pulled from circulation, you must exchange that money with the Canadian Mint if you want usable funds for your old (outdated) funds.

During a recent cleaning, I found some older (but not all that old) Canadian currency that I had kept because they were (and still are) quite lovely works of art. But when I stopped to realize we had never really pulled them out to appreciate in many years, I thought I would see if I could convert them back to U.S. funds. To make a long story short, no U.S. bank wants to handle Canadian currency that is no longer considered legal tender. If you want to redeem these notes, check out the following webpage:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Canada went to a dollar coin several years ago, in lieu of printing one dollar bills. So even though they still have their usual selection of small change options, it adds more to it, because anything less than $5.00 in change is returned in coin form. They have $1 "Loonies" and $2 "Twonies" coins, plus the usual quarter, dime, nickel, and penny. It saves a lot of paper, but requires rethinking how money is handled.
Canada went to the dollar coin back in the 1980s. They have also since stopped using the penny. I went to Toronto a couple years back and was looking for change to pay for something and the clerk said they don't take pennies. I had to pay more to round up to the nearest five cents. With no dollar or two dollar bills, your change jar can end up with a lot of money in it real fast.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
About half of our thrift store sales are in cash yet. I always use sanitizer in between sales.

Have you met @Panina yet? The resemblence in your avatars is considerable!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We pay 98% of our bills with online banking. Love it.
I've managed to pay everything online - except those pesky federal taxes!

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Yesterday I emptied the contents of my coin jar into the coin slot of a supermarket self-checkout terminal.

Every little bit helps.

Full Disclosure: I got 61¢ back in change.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yesterday I emptied the contents of my coin jar into the coin slot of a supermarket self-checkout terminal.

Every little bit helps.

Full Disclosure: I got 61¢ back in change.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Okay, Alan - I have to ask this.....are you considering an update to your screen name?

AwayWeCan'tGo?
AwayWe'dLikeToGo?
AwayWeUsedToGo?
AwayWeCanGoWeWill?

Have a good day, sir!

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort