• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

National Harbor; The town, the resort, and the sales pitch

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
CWA arp works great at the resorts and times that are typically hard to get...ie Myrtle Beach in July. The ten month window seems to work at all other less high demand places and weeks.

Can you answer the question that no one else will answer...of the 140 units at La Belle Maison and of the 254 units at Avenue Plaza; how many are available to CWA owners in the ARP window for the week Feb 8 2013 to Feb 15 2013

A CWA owner I know called today...the first day of the ARP window for that date, and was told, "no availability"... why would anyone buy this stuff until you add more inventory to the CWA pool

Until the CWA inventory reaches about 20% of the total at the CWA resorts...Illl pass

By the way yesterday I was offered a 100000 point contract by another Wyndham salesman for under $10,000...But considering I bought my 144000 point CWA contract for under $3 per 1000 points, you and he(she) will have a tough job convincing me to buy from you....However, I will offer you the same challenge Ive made to other Wyndham salesmen....I want to get from where I am, to Platinum. I want to have my total annual cost (maintenance fees, plus PIC fees, plus amortized purchase price(5yr) to be right around $5.50 per 1000 points...Figure out a way to do that and Ill buy

Last edited:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
CWA arp works great at the resorts and times that are typically hard to get...ie Myrtle Beach in July. The ten month window seems to work at all other less high demand places and weeks.

Hey! You need to stay around for awhile, I think we have a lot of questions for you.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Can you answer the question that no one else will answer...of the 140 units at La Belle Maison and of the 254 units at Avenue Plaza; how many are available to CWA owners in the ARP window for the week Feb 8 2013 to Feb 15 2013

A CWA owner I know called today...the first day of the ARP window for that date, and was told, "no availability"...

Do not know about next year, however, I checked Avenue Plaza and the following is available.

02/10/2012 4 Studio 81,000 40,500

Also, I just booked a 1 bedroom Suite for four nights starting 2-6-12, departs 2-10-12 for 26,000 points (this included the VIP discount and upgrade)

If I wanted both I would have Feb 6, 2012 departing February 14, 2012 for 66,000 points counting discounts and upgrades. At $5.70 per 1,000 that works out to about $376.20 for the two bookings.

Last edited:

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do not know about next year, however, I checked Avenue Plaza and the following is available.

02/10/2012 4 Studio 81,000 40,500

Also, I just booked a 1 bedroom Suite for four nights starting 2-6-12, departs 2-10-12 for 26,000 points (this included the VIP discount and upgrade)

If I wanted both I would have Feb 6, 2012 departing February 14, 2012 for 66,000 points counting discounts and upgrades. At $5.70 per 1,000 that works out to about $376.20 for the two bookings.

Not relevant at all 2/10/2012 is the week before Mardi Gras.. next year Mardi Gras is Feb 12 2013.

My question is: how much inventory is in the CWA pool vs the CWS pool

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Actually, I am pleased there is a Wyndham person that identified himself as such on the thread. I wonder if the Wyndham poster would let us know what the actual practice is for multiple contracts, same use year at a Home Resort is. In other words if one owned a 154,000 thousand contract, a 77,000 contract, and a 266,000 contract what would the maxium points be, the total amount or 266,000 thousand points?

Also, if someone already had a bunch of VIP eligable points in their account, it could be.

Someone selling will not know the answer.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I am at National Harbor now. Check-in times for a handful of people is just under 1 hour. This is being caused by their being down to one bellhop and not letting guests use the carts to get luggage to the rooms. The VIP line is being manned, but will not take VIP guests. The VIP guests have to wait until thel non-VIPguests are checked in then they are sent to a non-VIP check in line. Also, going back everyday for a new parking ticket for the garage can get old very fast.

Explorer7

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am at National Harbor now. Check-in times for a handful of people is just under 1 hour. This is being caused by their being down to one bellhop and not letting guests use the carts to get luggage to the rooms. The VIP line is being manned, but will not take VIP guests. The VIP guests have to wait until thel non-VIPguests are checked in then they are sent to a non-VIP check in line. Also, going back everyday for a new parking ticket for the garage can get old very fast.

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve stayed there a lot in the past and usually go straight to the parking lot and park on my own. Unless something has recently changed it’s a public parking lot that simply charges $11 per day unless you choose to use Wyndam’s parking options that have served no advantage for me.
Has something changed to where you can only park using tickets from Wyndham if you are self parking?

Thanks,
Ira

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I’ve stayed there a lot in the past and usually go straight to the parking lot and park on my own. Unless something has recently changed it’s a public parking lot that simply charges $11 per day unless you choose to use Wyndam’s parking options that have served no advantage for me.
Has something changed to where you can only park using tickets from Wyndham if you are self parking?

Thanks,
Ira

Wyhdham's fee at this point is 10 dollars per day come and go as you want. The other parking, as I understand it, is you can not come and go as you want without a fee each times.

Explorer7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyhdham's fee at this point is 10 dollars per day come and go as you want. The other parking, as I understand it, is you can not come and go as you want without a fee each times.

That’s a welcome change, looks like I’ll be using Wyndham’s $10 per day parking. During an owner update in Alexandria last year I was told that Wyndham was planning on taking over the parking this year and would be charging 8 dollars per day but $10 for in and out is pretty good as far as I’m concerned.

Thanks again

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... During an owner update in Alexandria last year I was told that Wyndham was planning on taking over the parking this year and would be charging 8 dollars per day but $10 for in and out is pretty good as far as I’m concerned.

Checked with the staff here. St. George Garage (across the street where Wyndham Guests park) is now under the Management of Wyndham. They did not actually buy the garage, according to staff.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
The morning newspaper for Sundays at National Harbor did not happen. Maybe one day this Wyndham Managed Resort will consistantly start offer VIP Benifits to the VIP guests.

Update: Talked with the front desk supervisor. The VIP Sunday newspapers are being given to CVS and VIP members have to walk down there and pay for them. Interesting, wonder what the business relationship between Wyndham and CVS is. As I understand it, the Fairshare Trust pays for this VIP right yet at National Harbor, CVS gets the newspapers to sell to the VIP guest.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Interesting to note National Harbor continues to have management problems. We've stayed there three times -- once a couple of weeks after it opened, once six months later, and last summer. Each time we have noted incompetence, arrogance, and occasional hostility.

Much of the staff acts like Nat. Harbor is a social program. Much of the staff acts like they are doing guests a favor by attending to them.

Our experiences with the ubiquitous parking pass lady and with the sales staff at "updates" or "surveys" have been the worst anywhere. I have walked out (although my wife stays to collect the bribe).

We live twenty minutes from National Harbor and I don't know that we will ever go back. Too expensive, too hard to do things, too much trouble.

Explorer7

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting to note National Harbor continues to have management problems. We've stayed there three times -- once a couple of weeks after it opened, once six months later, and last summer. Each time we have noted incompetence, arrogance, and occasional hostility.

Much of the staff acts like Nat. Harbor is a social program. Much of the staff acts like they are doing guests a favor by attending to them.

Our experiences with the ubiquitous parking pass lady and with the sales staff at "updates" or "surveys" have been the worst anywhere. I have walked out (although my wife stays to collect the bribe).

We live twenty minutes from National Harbor and I don't know that we will ever go back. Too expensive, too hard to do things, too much trouble.

We also live about 20 min away which contributes heavily into why we will do several short stays per year. This combined with the ability to grab on short notice some great discounts and upgrades on short notice makes it pretty nice for us.

The proximity and discounts allow us to have nice dinner parties etc with local friends and family while taking advantage of 4br presidential units at bargain prices, especially this time of year.

The non sales support staff has typically been pretty accommodating to us.

The member updates have been challenging and sometimes painful. I thought I could skip the parking pass experience altogether if I just self parked and paid the lot directly but I discovered that you have to go to the desk for wrist bands in order to use the pools etc. I don’t know that anyone actually checks for wrist bands, none the less we stop and get them on the way to the room.
Now that I have learned that Wyndham manages the parking lot and offers a $10 per day rate with in and out privileges that’s a good enough deal for me to go through Wyndham for my parking in the future.

Overall we’ve figured out how to make Nat Harbor work pretty well into our Wyndham experience.

Thanks,
Ira

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
We also live about 20 min away which contributes heavily into why we will do several short stays per year. This combined with the ability to grab on short notice some great discounts and upgrades on short notice makes it pretty nice for us.

The proximity and discounts allow us to have nice dinner parties etc with local friends and family while taking advantage of 4br presidential units at bargain prices, especially this time of year.

The non sales support staff has typically been pretty accommodating to us.

The member updates have been challenging and sometimes painful. I thought I could skip the parking pass experience altogether if I just self parked and paid the lot directly but I discovered that you have to go to the desk for wrist bands in order to use the pools etc. I don’t know that anyone actually checks for wrist bands, none the less we stop and get them on the way to the room.
Now that I have learned that Wyndham manages the parking lot and offers a $10 per day rate with in and out privileges that’s a good enough deal for me to go through Wyndham for my parking in the future.

Overall we’ve figured out how to make Nat Harbor work pretty well into our Wyndham experience.

Thanks,
Ira

The first two times there we parked in the garage across the street. Last summer, we parked in a garage attached to and just uphill from the Gaylord facility. I guess enough people complained. (Having just paid $26/day at La Belle Maison in New Orleans, Nat Harbor parking doesn't seem so bad!)

We will go back I suppose. But, there has always been some thing or things happen that sour the stay. If we do go back, it will be as you say -- short visits, long weekends, events, etc.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
... We will go back I suppose. But, there has always been some thing or things happen that sour the stay. If we do go back, it will be as you say -- short visits, long weekends, events, etc.

May I suggest Old Town Alexandria (I do not own at either location so this is not a sales pitch). Much better service than National Harbor.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
May I suggest Old Town Alexandria (I do not own at either location so this is not a sales pitch). Much better service than National Harbor.

Yes, we've stayed there as well and I agree, except for availability, most everything is better there than at National Harbor. Plus, I work in Crystal City, three Metro stops up the line.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Yes, we've stayed there as well and I agree, except for availability, most everything is better there than at National Harbor. Plus, I work in Crystal City, three Metro stops up the line.

We are frequently in one or the other. You are right, a lot of people apparently know this secret. National Harbor is usally easy to get into on short notice. Old Town Alexandria is a little harder. However, if you want to try a 3 Bedroom Presidental with VIP status National Harbor cannot be beat. Just booked a 3 Bedroom Presidental for 70,000 points for March, 2012

Last edited:

Explorer7

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are frequently in one or the other. You are right, a lot of people apparently know this secret. National Harbor is usally easy to get into on short notice. Old Town Alexandria is a little harder. However, if you want to try a 3 Bedroom Presidental with VIP status National Harbor cannot be beat. Just booked a 3 Bedroom Presidental for 70,000 points for March, 2012

We just checked out of 2 4br pres units using a sum total of 96K points for 2 nights (48k each). We had a great family dinner on Sunday with lots of family and friends and then just enjoyed the day Monday hanging out with those who stayed over a some who returned to hang out and eat some more.

The only sour note was member services who tried to convince my wife that we would get towed if we don’t pickup parking passes for the parking lot across the street which for all intents and purposes is open to the public to park at $11 per day if you don’t use the resorts $10 per day guest rate.

They also called after 10PM on Monday night trying to get us to an update.

None the less, we had a very memorable time with my DW’s family. This is the second year in a row we’ve done this on the Sunday and Monday tied to the MLK holiday.

Ira