• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

National Harbor; The town, the resort, and the sales pitch

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
PG county was my home from 1950 - 1970....I dont recognize it now when I visit

Here are some of my memories

Hot Shoppes & Mighty Moe
Tops Drive In
Tick Tock
Varsity Grill
the Voo
Wilies Ice Cream
The tobacco auctions
Bladensburg Roller Rink
Marlboro Race Track (and Marvin Mandel)
Parking lot #1 at the the University of Md
Blue Crabs, maryland style (and crab cakes)
Driving on Old Rt 1 before there was a Beltway or I95
Peace Cross

and just a short drive away
Slot Machines
Chesapeake Bay Beaches
sleeping on the Ocean City beach north of the boardwalk
The Wilson Line boat rides to Marshall Hall
Glen Echo Park
The Tombs, (1789)

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Wow! I remember some of those. :) I've been here all my life and things change so much that I go to certain areas and I feel lost.

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Update on the National Harbor Pitch. Guy Devoy, identified by the front desk as a Sales Manager (works at the area that gives out the parking passes, does invatations for the Sales Pitches etc., invited my me to met with the sales staff. I should up within the agreed upon time frame and was told by the Sales Staff that no one was available to meet with me. The saleman I was talking to reconized from an earlier presentation that he had conducted and was arrogant and rude.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Robert,
Did you get your "loot" (gift, money)? Not your fault that they have you on the blacklist - you were invited and you can to listen to their pitch... Go back and get your "loot".

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Robert,
Did you get your "loot" (gift, money)? Not your fault that they have you on the blacklist - you were invited and you can to listen to their pitch... Go back and get your "loot".

Not only did not give me anything, which I would not do, the salesman wanted me to leave the resort immediately, which I would not do. The sales staff here are very argonant and rude. P.S. The room did not even come with wash cloths or dishwasher degerant. The will not even do so when we asked for it.

P.S. The alleged Sales Manager that works at the guest pass check-in area approached me as I was headed to the front door. He indicated that I was being like this because of their Corporate Legal, he incidicated that they had a problem with me. I also tried to talk to the duty manager. He would not talk to me.

Last edited:

massvacationer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not only did not give me anything, which I would not do, the salesman wanted me to leave the resort immediately, which I would not do. The sales staff here are very argonant and rude. P.S. The room did not even come with wash clothes or dishwasher degerant. The will not even do so when we asked for it.

P.S. The alleged Sales Manager that works at the guest pass check-in area approached me as I was headed to the front door. He indicated that I was being like this because of their Corporate Legal, he incidicated that they had a problem with me.

rrlongwell:
Just enjoy the resorts and stay away from the Sales Folks......as you know, they are a desperate lot and will say and do almost anything......I think if you avoid them, you will have a much better time

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I met with a guy that also identified himself as a manager, I dont remember his name, but it wasnt Guy.. The salesman I met was named Steve. his sales approach was a little off putting looking down on me because I actually paid maintence fees...(his customers were smart enough to not pay and if I paid close attention to his presentation he would show me how)

But he and the manager did take no for an answer, the first time and actually seemed to have some respect for me and the technique I use to offset my maintenance fees. (I rent my fixed weeks)

Joan-OH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not only did not give me anything, which I would not do, the salesman wanted me to leave the resort immediately, which I would not do.

Am I missing something here? I presume you were staying at the resort and the salesman had the audacity to ask you the leave the resort??????

Joan-OH

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Am I missing something here? I presume you were staying at the resort and the salesman had the audacity to ask you the leave the resort??????

Joan-OH

Yes and the resort Management will not intervien. I am going to check out at our regular time. I do not think the Wyndham Sales Arm can make this stick.

antjmar

Reaction score
My personal opinion is that the sales staff at National Harbor are the rudest and least educated group I have ever met!:( The rest of the staff was great!

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do people think the demand is for National Harbor for Feb - July? Specifically the 4 bedroom presidential units? Demand for a week or just weekends?

Cheryl20772

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do people think the demand is for National Harbor for Feb - July? Specifically the 4 bedroom presidential units? Demand for a week or just weekends?

It depends on how many nights in a row you want and what day of the week. There are lots of events planned around the Cherry Blossom Festival which begins March 25, and ends April 14th with the Cherry Blossom Parade and Sakura Matsuri Japanese Street Festival.

It's hard to get a 4 BR for the weekend of April 14th, but may not be impossible. If you are willing to check in on the 11th, you can get 4 nights in a 4 BR.

When you say July, do you mean July 4th? July 5th you can get 3 nights in a 4 BR, but aside from that, from the middle of June to the end of July, your chances are slim for a 4 BR.

Check in June 6 for 7 nights in 4 BR Presidential costs 700K points and I see 2 of them.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
We were in a 4BR Presidential unit last 4th of July, top floor in a unit on the west end of the building, practically pointed at the National Mall. However, the view of the fireworks was blocked by another building. Had to stand on the furniture to see over the top!

National Harbor had a pretty nice fireworks show of its own and from our balcony we could see probably twenty little fireworks shows over in Virginia.

Went to the Nationals home game the afternoon of the 4th. Took the Metro bus to the Branch Avenue rail station, then a few stops to Navy Yard. The big advantage of going from Branch Avenue is you never get close to the National Mall. Usually for Nationals' games, we drive to Crystal City and take Metro rail from there but that means going through the district -- not a good thing on the 4th of July unless you're actually going to the Mall.

Having stayed there three times since it opened, I'm sticking with my original opinion. National Harbor the resort is fine for families. National Harbor the development is fine for adults but way too expensive for families.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was more looking to find out the demand as far as renting out reservations goes.

I have gone ahead and am giving it a try. I am going to start with the 4 bedroom presidential units. For both weeks, Sunday - Sunday, and weekends. I hope craigslist and Ebay will be able to reach enough customers.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
...National Harbor the resort is fine for families. National Harbor the development is fine for adults but way too expensive for families.

Yee, sounds like DVC. I pack food in my second suitcase :ignore: for a DVC stay.

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
Yee, sounds like DVC. I pack food in my second suitcase :ignore: for a DVC stay.

Have you tried Gardengrocer.com? I used them the last time we went to Disney and the prices/delivery were pretty reasonable. They did a nice job of picking out some fresh bananas and apples as well.

SusanRN

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another Marylander

You can add this Columbia grandma to the pow wow. I just bought Wyndham in October and had my account set up yesterday, so I'll be reading this forum a lot.
Susan

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
You can add this Columbia grandma to the pow wow. I just bought Wyndham in October and had my account set up yesterday, so I'll be reading this forum a lot.
Susan

Howdy neighbor! Welcome to the Wyndham neighborhood. :wave:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Ron, you mentioned you now have a Club Wynhdam Access contract. Do you want to run a test of availablity at National Harbor (or elsewhere for that matter) between a blended account like you have (Club Wyndham Select and Club Wyndham Access) and Club Wyndham Select only at the 10 month and under level?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am still waiting to get the use of my CWA contract. Wyndham took forever to waive ROFR..so I cant do anything yet...But I dont see the need for a test at the ten month mark...Im pretty clear on how that will work..(Points are points at that point)

I will want to test this in the arp window at a few resorts

rrlongwell

Reaction score
I am still waiting to get the use of my CWA contract. Wyndham took forever to waive ROFR..so I cant do anything yet...But I dont see the need for a test at the ten month mark...Im pretty clear on how that will work..(Points are points at that point)

Let me know which ones. Not sure how meaningful it will be. Apparently ARP has changed recently. When I would inquire about ARP rights before, you could use all home resort ARP rights that were associated with any given use year at the Home Resort in question. As of this morning, Wyndham is advising that the ARP rights at a Home Resort are now limited to the points in any given contract even if the use years are the same. If I read the member's directory correctly, the rule should be points at the home resort and not limited to the use years matching or limited to just one contract at the Home Resort when there are multiple ones in the Account.

Last edited:

nole9911

Reaction score
Im at National Harbor this week. Its Thanksgiving morning. Later today we'll drive to meet friends and family for dinner,
Now I have some time to share my impressions of the place and their sales staff.

National Harbor is a "new town" on the Potomac, just down river from Washington DC. Historic "Old Town" Alexandria is just across the River and the Beltway crossing (Woodrow Wilson Bridge) is visible from my room.

As a DC native I can say National Harbor is a great location, convenient to everything in the area, by car, via the Beltway, or public transportation, bus water taxi and the Metro.

National Harbor is an enormous real estate development that had the misfortune of opening just as the real estate bubble was popping. There are shops, hotels, restaurants, offices, .condos and townhomes and of course a timeshare. So this is a place where you can live and work, shop and play; and walk to everything...I like it a lot; the concept, and the execution. If they can figure out how to sell and/or rent all the vacant space here, they'll really have something.

The downside...The streets are dead, the prices are high,everything seems to me to be priced in the upper middle, to very high price ranges...No fast food, no diners, no Bob Evans, Applebees, Dunkin Donuts etc places to eat. The grocery is the Potomac Gourmet Market, not the Giant. So either bring you own food, or lots of money. And Parking: There is as I can see no free parking. I was told that Ill pay $10 a day when I check out. Parking meters are $3 an hour, 2 hour max. I dont see any cars on the street, They are all in Garages. We had guests here last night and they paid $11 to park. I think its too much

Bottom line...its difficult to do National Harbor on a budget

On the plus side.. The Wyndham resort is wonderful, plenty of activities, nice rooms (granite counters in the kitchen and baths. Id like to see the presidential units. I cant imagine the difference in quality would be worth the price. There is no washer and dryer in the room, but they are on the floor.

Some pictures at National Harbor

I attended the owner update. They did a good job of keeping to the 45 minutes promised. They did do a quick customer satisfaction survey of our ownership overall and of this stay. And they seemed genuinely interested in helping us get the most from our ownership. This was however a segue way to the "pitch" of the day. and I suspect everyone got the same pitch...He asked how much of our maintenance fees we actually paid. Seemed like a trick question because I pay all my maintenance fees. But he said most VIP owners were able to enjoy their ownership without paying and maintenance fees. Of course I fell into the trap, and asked how. Heres how:

1)Refer friends and family
2)Use the Barclays Visa card to earn windham rewards points that convert to dollars that can be applied to maintenance fees
3)exchange deeded points to rewards points to apply to maintenance fees.

None of these seemed to require the purchase of an additional contract, so I was waiting for the other shoe to drop...and it did..

Since none of the above three methods will pay all my fees, (for example I would have to charge more money than I make every year, to the visa card, to cover the fees for the points I own now.) I need to utilize all three methods, and of course the more points I exchange for maintenance fees the less i have to use, But since platinum owners get a 50% discount, the points I dont exchange go twice as far. I should buy enough new points to go platinum, or at the very least gold....and I should buy my new points here, because maintenance fees at National Harbor are among the lowest in the system.

None of this considered the cost of those new points which he quoted me at $220/1000 points, Even if I could cover maintenance fees as he suggested (and I dont think its possible) Id still be out the purchase price for new points. And when I told him I rented time that cost me half my points for enough to cover all my maintenance fees, last year...he said thanks and gave me my gift

I work for Wyndham in Fairfield Glade. National Harbour is awesome as are all of the new Wyndham Resorts. Fairfield is one of the original Legacy Collection (Fairfield Resorts). Even for existing owners I have deeds that sell for as little as 120.00 per 1000 points.

nole9911

Reaction score

CWA arp works great at the resorts and times that are typically hard to get...ie Myrtle Beach in July. The ten month window seems to work at all other less high demand places and weeks.

vckempson

TUG Member
Reaction score
I work for Wyndham in Fairfield Glade. National Harbour is awesome as are all of the new Wyndham Resorts. Fairfield is one of the original Legacy Collection (Fairfield Resorts). Even for existing owners I have deeds that sell for as little as 120.00 per 1000 points.

Such a deal! :doh:

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Such a deal! :doh:

Actually, I am pleased there is a Wyndham person that identified himself as such on the thread. I wonder if the Wyndham poster would let us know what the actual practice is for multiple contracts, same use year at a Home Resort is. In other words if one owned a 154,000 thousand contract, a 77,000 contract, and a 266,000 contract what would the maxium points be, the total amount or 266,000 thousand points?

Also, if someone already had a bunch of VIP eligable points in their account, it could be.

Last edited: