• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Nassau January trip - Taking a chance

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably taking a big chance here but I just had a match on an RCI OGS for Paradise Island Bahamas for early January 2021. I was able to secure an additional unit for the same week/same resort as well. So I went ahead and confirmed them with RCI. I also used points to get eight RT tickets on Southwest Airlines. I figure that worst case I might have to eat the exchange fees since I would get points/money back from Southwest if we aren't able to go. We always take our girls and granddaughter away during this week and I wanted to get something on the books. Not sure what things will look like 4-5 months from now but we'll keep thinking positive. I'm not even sure if US residents are allowed into the Bahamas currently, but if they are would need to quarantine for 14 days at arrival. That wouldn't be realistic for us and we'd cancel if that would be the case in January. Guess we will keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Mark

Papa2015

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten (3)
HGVC GP Marbrisa
Probably taking a big chance here but I just had a match on an RCI OGS for Paradise Island Bahamas for early January 2021. I was able to secure an additional unit for the same week/same resort as well. So I went ahead and confirmed them with RCI. I also used points to get eight RT tickets on Southwest Airlines. I figure that worst case I might have to eat the exchange fees since I would get points/money back from Southwest if we aren't able to go. We always take our girls and granddaughter away during this week and I wanted to get something on the books. Not sure what things will look like 4-5 months from now but we'll keep thinking positive. I'm not even sure if US residents are allowed into the Bahamas currently, but if they are would need to quarantine for 14 days at arrival. That wouldn't be realistic for us and we'd cancel if that would be the case in January. Guess we will keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Mark
Hope it works out for you.. for now, at least, y'all something to look forward to! We are Southwest Airlines customers also, and we love the fact of 2 free luggage peices and that you can cancel at any time and get credit for a future flight. We live in Texas and took a SW flight to Maui last year and was pleasantly surprised.. No frills, but cheap. We have Hawaii booked for next year,on a RCI exchange and will keep checking them for COVID cancellations that will return our trading credits and exchange fee. They may extend the offer.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I know how you feel. I have a rez for St John last week of February. I usually have airfare purchased already, but I'm hesitant. I have until Christmas to cancel my rez and not be restricted. Guess we will have to hope for airfare we can afford if it looks like USVI will be open. I love southwest, but they only fly to Puerto Rico so we have to puddle jump to St. Thomas. I keep hoping they add St Thomas to their destinations.

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was checking on flights yesterday and although wasn't notified as of yet, saw that our round trip Southwest flights from BWI-NAS have been cancelled by the airline. JetBlue has similar priced flights but I'm not sure if I want to take the chance since you only get a travel credit back from them if you need to cancel. I may give RCI a call later to see if there is anything they are willing to do if we cancel the exchanges to Nassau. Perhaps rebook us somewhere else using the already paid exchange fees. I know that they don't have to do this but we do many exchanges through out the year with then so I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Hope everyone is well.

Mark

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

Mark
The Bahamas is removing its quarantine measures beginning 11/1/2020. You need a test before, a test at the airport and a test administered at your hotel 5 days in or something outrageous. But once you’re tested you’re fine. The Bahamas is pushing for an oct 15th open. They were doing a “vacation in place” model but removing that beginning of October. Bahamar and Atlantis still have not announced a reopen date. I’m scheduled there for Christmas week. Hoping it works out

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Bahamas is removing its quarantine measures beginning 11/1/2020. You need a test before, a test at the airport and a test administered at your hotel 5 days in or something outrageous. But once you’re tested you’re fine. The Bahamas is pushing for an oct 15th open. They were doing a “vacation in place” model but removing that beginning of October. Bahamar and Atlantis still have not announced a reopen date. I’m scheduled there for Christmas week. Hoping it works out

When I booked this I was hoping that entry into the Bahamas in January would be less restrictive than it currently is. I saw the "vacation in place" model and although that wouldn't be a complete deal breaker, we'd have to work out logistics of getting food, supplies, etc. so it certainly wouldn't be ideal. I'll probably check w/ RCI to see what options they may extend (if any) but may ultimately let things ride for awhile to see what the Bahamas will do closer to check-in date. Worst case scenario for me is losing two RCI exchange fees, $239 each. I believe if I cancel by December 31, 2020 that I would receive all TPU's back.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
When I booked this I was hoping that entry into the Bahamas in January would be less restrictive than it currently is. I saw the "vacation in place" model and although that wouldn't be a complete deal breaker, we'd have to work out logistics of getting food, supplies, etc. so it certainly wouldn't be ideal. I'll probably check w/ RCI to see what options they may extend (if any) but may ultimately let things ride for awhile to see what the Bahamas will do closer to check-in date. Worst case scenario for me is losing two RCI exchange fees, $239 each. I believe if I cancel by December 31, 2020 that I would receive all TPU's back.
“Vacation in place” is ending November 1st 2020. Jan May be even less restrictive. Of course it all depends on the positive cases in the Bahamas and the US. I don’t think they are in any position to roll anything back. It will hurt them in the long run. Their tourist base will look elsewhere in the Caribbean. Many Bahamas tourists loyalists are annoyed with the inconsistent policies and are already looking elsewhere.

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
Next question is what will be the cost for the Bahamas Health Travel Visa for a one week stay? There are eight of us traveling, could get costly !

Mark

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score
You sure did and it put me in a better frame of mind after hearing it!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
You sure did and it put me in a better frame of mind after hearing it!
I have Christmas week booked in the Bahamas and am hopeful the Atlantis will open by then. But who really knows m

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The majority of all Caribbean Islands are now open to tourists. Just not to cruise ships cruisers.

To the OP. Good luck.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
The Bahamas are not in the Caribbean. That is the Atlantic Ocean.