• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mysterious monolith puzzle has been solved by internet sleuths

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

(How many times have I heard THAT line? :D)

Dave

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22

HAL: "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

HAL: "Well, it's rather difficult to define. Perhaps I'm just projecting my own concern about it. I know I've never completely freed myself of the suspicion that there are some extremely odd things about this mission. I'm sure you'll agree there's some truth in what I say."

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So it's been there for 4-5 years and just noticed now.

Apparently, it's located in such a remote area, nobody has seen it till now. That area has no population, so unless someone stumbled on it, it would continue to go unnoticed. I personally think it's really cool and clever of whoever did it, but what if nobody had found it? Someone went to a lot of trouble to put it there. Kind of a diminishing return, I think. :D

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And speaking of HAL:

When did you first realize that the computer named HAL is one letter each alphabetically before IBM? (H comes before I, A before B, and L before M.)

I read Arthur C. Clarke claimed it wasn't a deliberate thing, but come on - the guy was practically an alien himself. There had to be something subliminal going on? :D

Dave

jeffox

Reaction score
Apparently, it's located in such a remote area, nobody has seen it till now. That area has no population, so unless someone stumbled on it, it would continue to go unnoticed. I personally think it's really cool and clever of whoever did it, but what if nobody had found it? Someone went to a lot of trouble to put it there. Kind of a diminishing return, I think. :D

Dave
That was my thought, it's interesting when you come across stuff like that, I wonder what other things like this are out there?

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
“Daisy, Daaaiiiissssyyy, Daaaaiiiissssyyyy.........”

Cheers

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That was my thought, it's interesting when you come across stuff like that, I wonder what other things like this are out there?

I remember during a houseboating trip on Lake Powell in Southern Utah with friends back in the late 80s, we had landed the houseboat at the end of a really remote channel, far off the beaten track. I went off alone, hiking into the rocky hills for awhile. When the trail I was on came to a natural end, I sat down to take a break. I was looking around, taking in the scenery, and I happened to glance up the rock face near me.

I found the remains of an Anasazi Indian cliff dwelling ruins high up on the rocks. It wasn't big - about three rooms, so maybe enough for a family or two. There were slight indentations cut into the rock surface that made a perfect staircase up to them. I went back to the boat and collected my friends, and we spent quite awhile exploring the ruins. We weren't the first people there, obviously, (there was a trail that ended just below the ruins, after all), but it wasn't documented on any of our maps. We all thought it was so cool to see. I've thought in the years since, what if I hadn't decided to take that walk? We'd never have seen it.

This metal monolith is kind of like that. If nobody happens to see it, then what?

Dave

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It is gone. Seems fitting for 2020 I guess. No one knows how or where it went.

Bill

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Ha Ha Here we go...the next area 52...

BTW...How would anybody know if it has been there for 5 years if no one saw it before? It's not like you can do carbon dating.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Okay makes sense. Hmm...wonder if the sat photos could also show the people installing it? Given the remote area, needing a way to hall it out there, and the depth of the hole to dig to support the height, I cannot imagine this was a quick install.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Hard to believe no one planted a trail camera pointed at it. These days, there's video of every little thing.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I think the son of that artist (McCracken?) knows more than he's telling. The test will be if it shows up in some other remote location. The Badlands or Everglades, perhaps?

Dave

jeffox

Reaction score
wonder if the sat photos could also show the people installing it?
Not unless they were extremely lucky, I wouldn't think an area in the middle of nowhere gets re-imaged very often, annually would seem too much.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It may have been this guy, Mr Awful and his minions.

1606714311966.png

1606714358554.png

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If it was used in a movie shouldn't someone have already called out the scene it was used in? Shoot, I would expect this to be in the IMDB Did You KNow Trivia section by now for whatever movie it was in. If the scene was cut, why wouldn't the producers have already come out and said it was their? Why remove it secretly? Perhaps iot was simply stolen. Were there tracks where someone came in and got it? I could see how any trace of it being installed would have been wiped away by now, but if it was just removed, there should be tire tracks or something? Why didn't they install a remote camera to monitor it once it was found?

jeffox

Reaction score
If it was used in a movie shouldn't someone have already called out the scene it was used in? Shoot, I would expect this to be in the IMDB Did You KNow Trivia section by now for whatever movie it was in. If the scene was cut, why wouldn't the producers have already come out and said it was their? Why remove it secretly? Perhaps iot was simply stolen. Were there tracks where someone came in and got it? I could see how any trace of it being installed would have been wiped away by now, but if it was just removed, there should be tire tracks or something? Why didn't they install a remote camera to monitor it once it was found?
Maybe it was way in the background, maybe the scene was cut or never filmed and then when production wrapped, since they forgot about that one scene that was never used and left it there. Then maybe when the story broke, someone somewhere went "Oh Crap" and went to retrieve the forgotten prop. All 10000% more plausible then aliens.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Maybe it was way in the background, maybe the scene was cut or never filmed and then when production wrapped, since they forgot about that one scene that was never used and left it there. Then maybe when the story broke, someone somewhere went "Oh Crap" and went to retrieve the forgotten prop. All 10000% more plausible then aliens.
I get that it is 1000% more plausible than aliens, but if legit why not just own it and say it was theirs and go get it. Why secretly remove it? This likely wasn't easy to move. Depending on the material, it could have weighted between 500lbs or close to a ton.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The Utah monolith is gone, and a rude message was left behind.

Richard

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, just another misleading media title.

The "Mysterious Monolith Puzzle" has not been, in any way, "solved." This is just another example why I hate the clickbait media.