• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My View Category Changed in Marriott Bonvoy for Interval exchange at Aruba Surf Club

mjkaplan

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lawrence Welk Resort, San Diego, CA
Marriott's Desert Springs Villas II , Palm Desert, CA
Not sure if this was something unique to the Aruba Surf Club. My reason for the post is to see if others had had this happen and if is unique to the Aruba resort(s).

We have exchanged our Marriott week through interval for Marriott resorts in Hawaii for 15 or so years now. We have not always gotten the best view assigned to us, but if our room code on our exchange was Ocean View or Ocean Front we would see that on the Marriott Bonvoy site reservation too. And when checking in we would get a room in that category. We got the exchange to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club in June of 2023 for June of 2024 with a room code for an Oceanside View category. In June of 2023 I looked at the Marriott Bonvoy site and it also showed us in an Oceanside room. When we arrived at the resort last week, we were told we were in an Oceanview room (a step down from Oceanside). I was surprised and told the clerk we were supposed to be in Oceanside. I showed him the email I had sent myself from the Marriott site that showed we had an Oceanside view. But when I looked at my Bonvoy app on my phone, sure enough, it said Oceanview. I realized that at some point our view category was changed by someone. The resort denied that they changed it, and of course they "had no Oceanside rooms available." I also got the standard "Interval exchanges do not guarantee a view category." However, in over 15 years of exchanges, mostly to Hawaii (almost all the different Marriott resorts there) I have never had the experience where the view category changed within the Bonvoy app. The resort informed me that I could try contacting Interval but there was nothing more they could do. I proceeded to call Interval and spoke to customer service; they confirmed that the room code on the exchange was still the same that corresponded to the Oceanside. I was then transferred to the exchange department, that agent told me it was not possible that Interval changed the reservation in the Bonvoy system, but of course said view was not guaranteed. They suggested talking to Marriott Vacation club customer service. I spoke to an agent at MVC who looked at the Bonvoy system and actually told me that they could see that a month ago, Interval made a change to the reservation. They transferred me back to Interval Exchange department. The agent there not only denied that Interval made a change, but when I told her that MVC said they saw that Interval made a change, she was upset and said “I don’t know why they would give you that information.” It seemed she was upset that MVC revealed that Interval did it. In the end, our room location and view was ok, but not what we expected and still had a nice trip. In summary, I am wanting to know if this is something Interval is now doing and I could end up in an Island View in Hawaii even though our Interval confirmation room code is Ocean View. Let me know if anyone else has had a similar experience. I am hoping it was unique to the Aruba resort.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Interval makes no guranty of the unit being assigned. You get the unit size and max/private occupancy. That is all that is promised. Some properties assign units differently than others. Surf Club has been known to assign II exchangers to lesser view designation than the view that was deposited by the owner and as indicated by the Unit Code/No in the II website and what shows if you look the reservation up on Marriott.com.

It is how it is. You can't change it. You can't really challenge it. The II confirmation specifically states that the certificate doesn't guarantee a view or location.
1719514912426.png

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, I've seen posts that this happens at Aruba. Hilton head also seem to use their own way of assigning units.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
The resort did it.

The resort has an ability to assign any room, and then you will see the updated category in the Bonvoy app. While most Marriotts don't touch Interval reservations and assign what's on the confirmations, some still do make changes. Aruba is known to do that more than others.

I had a Marriott resort in Hawaii assign me a better view category than on the Interval confirmation, but it was during Covid when the resort was empty. I asked the front desk, they did it, and it then showed the updated view in the Bonvoy app. So the resorts certainly have that ability.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
We were at the Aruba Ocean Club last April and our code on the 2BR exchange was ZZAB…which is OF..When checking in I made reference to that code(My Bonvoy account said Ocean Front)and the associate looked at me with a puzzled look and proceeded to give us a Ocean View room…We have another II exchange into a 2BR at the Ocean Club this October and the II code is ZZAA..Ocean View.

Last edited:

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The view category on marriott . com does change if they assign you to a different room than the original one. I exchanged into Ocean Watch at Myrtle Beach last year and had 2 separate villas for the same dates. One of the exchanges was for an oceanfront villa while the other was for an oceanview villa. When I added them both to my bonvoy account initially they showed that way. But when the resort sent the preference email I asked for both villas to be assigned to the same building as with those separate views the oceanview would have been in the woodsy section while the oceanfront would have been in the ocean section of the resort.

About a week before check-in the ocean-view unit updated to an oceanfront unit on marriott . com! And that is exactly what we were assigned at check-in two oceanfront villas in the Conch building that were fantastic! Best unit placements ever on an Interval exchange!

As for Surf Club Oceanside and Oceanview are really not that different. Oceanside is just closer. But when they assigned points at Surf Club they gave Oceanside and Oceanview the exact same points values. So really not a big deal and nothing you can do about it since they are 100% correct that no view is guaranteed on an exchange. Solely at the resort's discretion.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
I concur that the MVC did it not II. They simply matched with a different unit for the same week. As others have said, you only are promised unit size and week. Not view-in fact, you could receive a different view than the unit assigned at check in. So this isn't really anything to be concerned about.

PaulaC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this was something unique to the Aruba Surf Club. My reason for the post is to see if others had had this happen and if is unique to the Aruba resort(s).

We have exchanged our Marriott week through interval for Marriott resorts in Hawaii for 15 or so years now. We have not always gotten the best view assigned to us, but if our room code on our exchange was Ocean View or Ocean Front we would see that on the Marriott Bonvoy site reservation too. And when checking in we would get a room in that category. We got the exchange to Marriott's Aruba Surf Club in June of 2023 for June of 2024 with a room code for an Oceanside View category. In June of 2023 I looked at the Marriott Bonvoy site and it also showed us in an Oceanside room. When we arrived at the resort last week, we were told we were in an Oceanview room (a step down from Oceanside). I was surprised and told the clerk we were supposed to be in Oceanside. I showed him the email I had sent myself from the Marriott site that showed we had an Oceanside view. But when I looked at my Bonvoy app on my phone, sure enough, it said Oceanview. I realized that at some point our view category was changed by someone. The resort denied that they changed it, and of course they "had no Oceanside rooms available." I also got the standard "Interval exchanges do not guarantee a view category." However, in over 15 years of exchanges, mostly to Hawaii (almost all the different Marriott resorts there) I have never had the experience where the view category changed within the Bonvoy app. The resort informed me that I could try contacting Interval but there was nothing more they could do. I proceeded to call Interval and spoke to customer service; they confirmed that the room code on the exchange was still the same that corresponded to the Oceanside. I was then transferred to the exchange department, that agent told me it was not possible that Interval changed the reservation in the Bonvoy system, but of course said view was not guaranteed. They suggested talking to Marriott Vacation club customer service. I spoke to an agent at MVC who looked at the Bonvoy system and actually told me that they could see that a month ago, Interval made a change to the reservation. They transferred me back to Interval Exchange department. The agent there not only denied that Interval made a change, but when I told her that MVC said they saw that Interval made a change, she was upset and said “I don’t know why they would give you that information.” It seemed she was upset that MVC revealed that Interval did it. In the end, our room location and view was ok, but not what we expected and still had a nice trip. In summary, I am wanting to know if this is something Interval is now doing and I could end up in an Island View in Hawaii even though our Interval confirmation room code is Ocean View. Let me know if anyone else has had a similar experience. I am hoping it was unique to the Aruba resort.
Interval trades do not guarantee you a view, just room size. Also, I don't know why you think oceanview is a step down from oceanside, I prefer oceanview since you get a panoramic ocean view. When we have oceanside you can sometimes see the parking lot of the Ocean Club.

And no, it isn't unique to Aruba. We've owned Marriott properties for 25 years and over 20 years ago, we traded our Maui Ocean Club to Kauai Beach Club for an oceanfront room, but we were assigned a ground floor garden view. That was definitely a step down! Relax and enjoy Aruba!

Last edited:

Mroze

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MKO,MRD,MCV,DCP
WKV,WNA
HYS,HYN,HYB
I received a code [ZZTQ: Ocean-Front] for a 2BR Marriott Maui Ocean Club for AUG-2024.
Hope it doesn't change.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
No view is guaranteed with Interval exchange. The resorts change the view category, not Interval.

For Surf Club, I've had instances where it was changed and some not. For Aruba Ocean Club, my experience has been consistent in that I was fortunate that I was assigned the oceanfront category when I traded into an OF unit.

For Ocean Pointe, once they gave me oceanside even thought it as initially oceanfront but recently they kept me in Oceanfront.

It's all a luck of the draw!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At Aruba OC & SC I'v always gotten the view type of the exchange except one time I got a better view to match up with a second reservation and stay in the same unit. That includes OF and OS. However many have reported this experence for HI, Aruba, HH & MB. There's room for disappointment here but not for complaint IMO. Truthfully, for some of the OV rooms there. I like them better than OS. I concur, the resort makes the villa assignments and are entitled to do so.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
II exchangers get whatever that the resort assigns, some resorts try to honor it while others don't.

Last edited:

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually get the exact room type assigned in interval (by unit code) - but not every time.