• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Survey

lms400

Reaction score
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
I would like to visit Massanutten most of the time, but have the flexibility to exchange my week somewhere else. Full disclosure: I have only been to Massanutten as a time share.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
I would like to visit my home resort for at least a week out of the year. Then, perhaps pick up another week to use somewhere else.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Virginia
North Carolina
Florida
Hawaii
Europe

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself? 3

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? I am an educator. I get off major holidays and if I don't end up working in the summer, I have off mid June until the second week of August. I always have a spring break in April; the week has varied.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? I prefer to make them in advance as I know my work schedule a year in advance.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? I can vacation a full week if it falls during major holidays, summer, or April. If I can have an increment option, I am open to that.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? I would prefer 3-5 stars

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? As of right now, I would like to finance to build credit.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $400-600

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? I do, that's why I really want to make an informed decision and know the ins and outs.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Don’t finance.... pick up a free unit somewhere.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Agree with CPNY. There's many other ways to build a credit rating by paying on time. Plus, with so many timeshares available for next to nothing there's no need to finance to get what you want.

Since, you are traveling with 3 people (I'm assuming wife & 1 child) you only need a Studio or 1 bedroom. That size unit will help keep your annual maintenance fees in the range you stated. That size unit will limit the number of points or TPUs that you are awarded. Which, on the surface, would seem to limit your ability to travel a 2nd week. I wouldn't worry about that too much. For the 2nd week you could pick up a GetAway week from your exchange company (II or RCI) or you can look in TUG's rental board.

Speaking of TUG's Timeshare Rental board. I suggest you rent a week or 2 before deciding where you want to buy. Take that used car for a test drive. Get a feel for what different resorts have to offer, the quality they provide, what the locations have to offer. If I understand your location Massanutten isn't the only popular location with a few hours drive. I would guess Virginia Beach or even the North Carolina coast is also within relatively easy reach. Once you have a feel for "Do timeshares really work for us?" then you can pull the trigger and be very happy with your choice.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That $400-$600 annual maintenance fee (MF) is problematic. You say you need to build credit, and will need 1 BR units and want 3-5 star accommodations tell me that you are not financially ready to take on a luxury good like a timeshare. Getting a freebie is no problem, but the annual nut is going to be $1000ish. You can reduce that by acquiring an every-other-year ownership, but that has it's own issues. AND on top of annual MF fee, there is the cost of exchange membership- roughly $100/yr AND the cost (near $300) every time you exchange to go somewhere other than your home resort.

Advice: For now, forget TS ownership. You can rent from other owners for less than the annual fee, and have no ongoing expense. Get familiar with the TUG Last Minute Rental forum.

All the best!

Jim

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I agree with Jim. Rent for now, hold off on ownership. When you factor in exchange fees, RCI membership fee, plus maint fees, your annual fees will be well above what you want to pay.

lms400

Reaction score
D
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
I would like to visit Massanutten most of the time, but have the flexibility to exchange my week somewhere else. Full disclosure: I have only been to Massanutten as a time share.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
I would like to visit my home resort for at least a week out of the year. Then, perhaps pick up another week to use somewhere else.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Virginia
North Carolina
Florida
Hawaii
Europe

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself? 3

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule? I am an educator. I get off major holidays and if I don't end up working in the summer, I have off mid June until the second week of August. I always have a spring break in April; the week has varied.

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance? I prefer to make them in advance as I know my work schedule a year in advance.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time? I can vacation a full week if it falls during major holidays, summer, or April. If I can have an increment option, I am open to that.

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars? I would prefer 3-5 stars

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing? As of right now, I would like to finance to build credit.

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year? $400-600

11) Are you a detail oriented planner? Yes

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do? I do, that's why I really want to make an informed decision and know the ins and outs.
Thank you for all the input! I have a quesiton, does anyone have a sample letter they used to rescind their timeshare at Massanutten? They don't tell you much except where to mail it and the deadline.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
D

Thank you for all the input! I have a quesiton, does anyone have a sample letter they used to rescind their timeshare at Massanutten? They don't tell you much except where to mail it and the deadline.
You don't need a template. Just a very simple, "I/We wish to exercise our right of rescission and cancel the purchase of contract #____________ dated 4/XX/2021, Signed_____________ Husband and _______________ Wife
Include a COPY of the signature page for ID purposes and send it USPS Certified.

Jim

lms400

Reaction score
That $400-$600 annual maintenance fee (MF) is problematic. You say you need to build credit, and will need 1 BR units and want 3-5 star accommodations tell me that you are not financially ready to take on a luxury good like a timeshare. Getting a freebie is no problem, but the annual nut is going to be $1000ish. You can reduce that by acquiring an every-other-year ownership, but that has it's own issues. AND on top of annual MF fee, there is the cost of exchange membership- roughly $100/yr AND the cost (near $300) every time you exchange to go somewhere other than your home resort.

Advice: For now, forget TS ownership. You can rent from other owners for less than the annual fee, and have no ongoing expense. Get familiar with the TUG Last Minute Rental forum.

All the best!

Jim
Hi, thank you for your input. I can afford more than 400-600, I guess that's just a dream number. I can afford around 1000 for maintenance fees right now. It would be myself, my husband, and 4 year old daughter. I can probably pay a MF two years in advance and then just keep at least a year ahead in MF.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Hi, thank you for your input. I can afford more than 400-600, I guess that's just a dream number. I can afford around 1000 for maintenance fees right now. It would be myself, my husband, and 4 year old daughter. I can probably pay a MF two years in advance and then just keep at least a year ahead in MF.
Did you send the rescission letter yet??? That’s the most important thing that should be done.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Done, I did that around 3pm yesterday. It's sent certified with a receipt.
Excellent!! based on your destinations, you should look into Vistana or Wyndham. If you really want massanutten, look for a high point regal vista or woodstone unit in RCI points. RCI points is better than weeks IMO. But renting to get a feel for more resorts would be ideal

lms400

Reaction score
Excellent!! based on your destinations, you should look into Vistana or Wyndham. If you really want massanutten, look for a high point regal vista or woodstone unit in RCI points. RCI points is better than weeks IMO. But renting to get a feel for more resorts would be ideal
I really need to learn more about points vs. weeks.

lms400

Reaction score
Don’t finance.... pick up a free unit somewhere.
Yes! I've been researching and looking around. It seems silly to finance when there is so much out there. I would really want a deeded property for a consistent week in the summer and then perhaps another week that is a Christmas week. I haven't even seen the prices on a Christmas week, but I can imagine it's probably a lot. I did like Massanutten because it's a four season resort and had so many things to do, no matter the season and it's a 3 hour drive for me. I imagine there are places like Massanutten, I just have to do the research. The Carolinas have piqued my interest.

I am understanding the whole process better for sure, but with regard to the maintenance fees, is there a percentage they go up every year? Cost of living? or can it just go up by whatever increments the corp decides?

lms400

Reaction score
I wonder because, say you get a property and the maintenance fee is 1000, will it be like 1500 the next year? What if I have the property for 10 years,
I will look into Vistana and Wyndham, I suppose a google search will do the job.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I wonder because, say you get a property and the maintenance fee is 1000, will it be like 1500 the next year? What if I have the property for 10 years,

I will look into Vistana and Wyndham, I suppose a google search will do the job.
Could be, maint fees will always go up! 1000 to 1500 is a large jump in one year. Unless there is some sort of assessment going on with the HOA then I wouldn’t expect it to jump that high that quick.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, MFs do increase, but most max out at around 5% or so. Special Assessments are something different, usually caused by something like hurricane damage or neglected maintenance caused by too low MFs.