• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Survey- what should I buy for mostly Southern California trips

Oti_romo

Reaction score
1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?
We travel to Southern California 2-3x /year using our global discovery vacation club that we purchased over 10 years ago from the sales office. We have traveled to Mexico (Vidanta properties ) and Hawaii (royal kuhio) and spent $10 k on the vacation club with / $150 annual fee and $300/ week rentals using star credits. Can get up to 3 weeks in a 2 bedroom anywhere in the world but the places they have are mostly places I wouldn’t book.
We have gotten lucky staying in a few 1 bed that allow 5 guests like the cambria in Anaheim when 2 bed weren’t available.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?
Probably would want to trade to visit other destinations

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?
Anaheim, San Clemente, Dana Point, Carlsbad, Oceanside, All Southern California Coast, then Waikiki & Mexico

4) How many people do you usually travel with - total, including yourself?
We have 5 total

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?
Anytime

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?
Yes

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?
Yes

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

3.5 and up, but we have stayed at small places like San Clemente cove, Carlsbad inn and peacock suites, dolphins cove etc . And love the locations by the beach or theme parks since we have small kids.

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?
$5-7k

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?
$1500/year

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?
yes
12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?
Yes

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Pick a favorite then buy a resale there.

Oti_romo

Reaction score
Pick a favorite then buy a resale there.
We would like the opportunity to stay at multiple locations through the year and not have a fixed week. We have not stayed at any hgvc, mvc or Hyatt properties and wanted feedback from owners on whic clubs have the best offerings for Southern California coast.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might consider a pure points play like WorldMark. Lots of locations in the West where you want to go. Granted, they aren't the hotel branded TSs you mentioned above but I find them well appointed and located all over the West. Also easily available as resales.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think a GPX-managed week could be a good option. They have several Southern California resorts and an internal exchange program that is affordable.

From what I can tell Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton are outside your purchase budget for stronger weeks though there might be some exceptions.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I think a GPX-managed week could be a good option. They have several Southern California resorts and an internal exchange program that is affordable.

From what I can tell Marriott, Hyatt, and Hilton are outside your purchase budget for stronger weeks though there might be some exceptions.

I second this. Grand Pacific Resorts has a good selection of Southern CA properties and they are easy to get with their internal exchange GPX. I own three and they are right for us, but I think that the MF are getting on the high side. They are good properties to use, not so much for trading.

Oti_romo

Reaction score

Is there bonus week or good exchanges with Gpx properties once you become a owner?

Oti_romo

Reaction score
I second this. Grand Pacific Resorts has a good selection of Southern CA properties and they are easy to get with their internal exchange GPX. I own three and they are right for us, but I think that the MF are getting on the high side. They are good properties to use, not so much for trading.
Do you get extra bonus weeks/last min deals once you are a owner and if so what is the cost? We like GPX properties but since they only have a few locations we never thought about owning with them.

Bill4728

Reaction score
A gold week at Marriott Newport Coast cost about $4K-$5K and lets you visit anytime between Jan and Early June. Great trader also.

Oti_romo

Reaction score
They seem to have good inventory at the resorts they manage, though peak seasons might be a little harder.

They do also have some weeks for cash at competitive (but not fire sale) rates.
I saw their nightly rates were pretty high $220 for San Clemente cove. I also saw that hgvc had 3 locations with grand pacific resorts in Carlsbad, are they they same or dual?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Do you get extra bonus weeks/last min deals once you are a owner and if so what is the cost? We like GPX properties but since they only have a few locations we never thought about owning with them.

There is owners time (discounted nightly rates) which we have only used once or twice but at very competitive rates. You have to call in and it's only available to owners (no way to put the reservation into any other name). There are rental deals available periodically and those are really great prices. I held (then released) a rental week for the Royal Regency Resort just outside of Paris. It was about $600 for a week for this Sept. Other than the rental deals there aren't any other bonus weeks - it's pretty much a week for a week when exchanging - but if you need summer weeks at the beach it's the easiest way to get an exchange.

Grand Pacific isn't the lowest cost for sure - if you want a low cost trader we really like our Sheraton Desert Oasis (SDO) that locks off into two one bedroom units and trades well in Interval International. That is probably our most cost effective trader but it's tough to get a trade for a southern CA beach resort.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
A few weeks ago someone posted free giveaway at Dana Point, Diamond Resorts Riviera Beach, 3BR. Would be a good fit if still available.

Nowaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: 41,520 points - Coylumbridge, Flamingo, Elara, Trump, 2x Boulevard
Grand Pacific Resorts has a good selection of Southern CA properties and they are easy to get with their internal exchange GPX.
Does it mean owning HGVC MarBrisa, instead of getting HGVC points, you can elect to get a GPX exchange instead? What is the process of that?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Does it mean owning HGVC MarBrisa, instead of getting HGVC points, you can elect to get a GPX exchange instead? What is the process of that?
No, you would need one of the older GP Marbrisa deeds to get GPX. I used to own a Seapointe GP deed that got me in to GPX.

Sent from my Lenovo 10e using Tapatalk

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can make plans 13 months out for a week I think Worldmark would be a good fit for you. Two locations in Anaheim (Dolphins cove where you've stayed, and the newer/fancier Worldmark Anaheim). Plus Oceanside, 3 in San Diego, Pismo Beach, and bunch in the Palm Springs area for Southern CA.

For Hawaii you need to book exactly 13 month out, and they have locations in Maui, the Big Island and Kaui. There are also a number of Mexico locations, although I generally trade for Mexico as it is usually an easy trade and we really like Vidanta even with the resort fees.

They aren't the fanciest but I think the locations would be a good fit for you, and availability will be way better than a vacation club.