• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Sudden Urge To Buy Timeshares?

ArtsieAng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to Tug, as well as to the timeshare industry. Last year My husband and I purchased directly from Marriott a timeshare in Aruba, and New Jersey. I have since purchased two more from Ebay, and have an increasing desire to purchase others. It seems the more we acquire, the more we want.

My question to you all is why? Has anyone else out there experienced this desire?

I am aware that timeshares are not the greatest investment since their value seems only to decline. They seldom if ever raise in value or even stay equal to the developers price. I see that the market seems to be flooded with people trying to sell thier timeshare on ebay, etc. I know they can be rented just about anywhere in the world at a decent price without any worries. And yet, I continue to watch ebay and every other source I know of just looking for the perfect timeshare to buy.

Is there such a thing as a timeshare bug? And if so, how does one go about getting rid of it?..... :confused:

Last edited:
J

JoeMid

ArtsieAng said:
Is there such a thing as a timeshare bug? And if so, how does one go about getting rid of it?..... :confused:
If you're not retired, realize that you only have so much vacation time. Either get off the internet or live vicariously through others here on TUG.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
BocaBum99 said:
Most people on this message board are Timeshare Addicts. Some of us have it worse than others, but anyone who has more than 100 posts is definitely an addict.

As you can see, I am truly sick. LOL.
It's the timeshare bug. It's a disease.

AwayWeGo

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
The Bug.

ArtsieAng said:
Is there such a thing as a timeshare bug?
Short answer: Yes.

It's a potential problem for people like me who have more money than brains. (Not that I have all that much money.)

One extremely nice feature of TUG is that it provides a means of vicarious enjoyment of timeshares & timesharing, a bonus on top of the enjoyment I get from direct involvement (buying, selling, vacationing, depositing, renting, exchanging, touring for freebies, paying fees, etc.).

The flip side of having fun owning timeshares is the anguish of being unable to use a paid-for timehare, & that keeps me from going overboard in buying more & more.

Even though I only have 84,000 points in my account, I am semi-concerned that I won't be able to use'm all up before they expire. That's because I go for Instant Exchange & Last Call whenever I can, using minimal points.

One area we have not yet explored -- but maybe we just might -- is trying to sell off some of what we have for more than we paid, then buying equivalent replacements for less. (I'll let you know how that goes.)

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

huestous

Reaction score
ArtsieAng said:
Can't help you with the getting rid of it. Mine is barely in check, and only under threats of severe sanction from my wife.

We're up to 7 weeks of timeshare and 4 weeks of vacation. You do the math...

ArtsieAng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, well, I'm glad to see that I am not alone. Thank you all for your input. I'm wondering what people with more timeshares than vacation time do with the ones they can't use?

How difficult is it to rent them? If you can't rent them, what do you do with them? I know they can be banked for a couple of years, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem since they would just continue to add up.

Are there any other possibilities?

Thanks.... :)

glenn1000

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
ArtsieAng said:
I'm wondering what people with more timeshares than vacation time do with the ones they can't use?

How difficult is it to rent them? If you can't rent them, what do you do with them? I know they can be banked for a couple of years, but that doesn't seem to solve the problem since they would just continue to add up.

We now own nine timeshares which is more than we can personally use. Every year we donate one exchange to a charity auction. On many (most) trips we exchange for two units and invite family that live far away and would not otherwise be able to come along. We converted one week to points and have deposited other extra units in the points for deposit program. We have used points to get tough exchanges in Europe, Canada and New York which took lots of points (we can't plan last minute trips so can never use the low points option). Renting seems like a hassle and isn't why we started doing this but we have two prime units this summer and more deposits than we need so we are, for the first time, trying to rent them. If that does not work we'll give them to relatives or friends. We're part of RCI, RCI Points and II, so the deposits are spread out. It has become a true hobby/addiction and so far we have made what we consider good use of our timeshares.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Repeating a post from about five years ago, when someone started a similar thread. Note that the infection is incurable, but treatable.

Yup, Sharon, you've caught the timeshare bug.

The infection has a well-defined pathology.

In the initial infection stages, the victim becomes noticeably anxious and stimulated as the bug spreads throughout the body The victim excitedly makes travel and vacation plans, but this excitement is accompanied by bewilderment as the victim becomes overwhelmed by the pervasiveness and variants in the timeshare bug world-wide. Some confusion and doubt is also typical at this stage as victims wonder what is happening to them and have doubts about whether they made the right decisions. Sleeplessness, accompanied by long hours of looking on line for exchanges, is also common at this stage. Sudden urges to buy more timeshares may also appear at this stage, especially if the victim has been exposed to one of the South African versions.

After several months the symptoms moderate, and the infection becomes a lower grade, chronic infection. The confusion and doubt always diminish in this stage and are the best evidence that the infection is moving into a chronic state. Even after reaching a chronic state, however, the infection periodically flares up into a highly active and visible form, often at least once or twice per year. The more vacation time the victim has available, the more frequent and severe the flare-ups are likely to be.

Research has shown that the mode of transmission for the timeshare bug is via a process called "exchanging", and this occurs in two distinct steps. The process is initiated when the victim" makes" an exchange. This is often accompanied by a sudden burst of happiness, sometimes reaching euphoria. Sometime after the exchange is made, the person usually travels to a distant location to "complete" the exchange. This process usually lasts for about one week. As the exchange is completed, the person usually experiences deep satisfaction. At this time the infection is often transmitted to family members and friends of the victim who are present during the exchange.

Secondary flare-ups can also occur at any time independent of the exchanging process. These are often accompanied by such behaviors as buying or selling of timeshares. These secondary flare-ups are easily triggered by messages from other carriers of the infection. A single message on a BBS has been known to cause simultaneous frenzied buying of timeshare by infected individuals.

Several clear variants in the pathology of the disease are recognized. In Harper's Condition the victim engages in uninterrupted exchange completions lasting as long as four or five months. Fletch's Disorder manifests itself in the continual buying and selling of timeshares, frequent exchange completion, and uncontrollable urges to transmit the Marriott and Royal strains of the bug. DeSchryver’s Syndrome is a particularly strong variant. A victim with DeSchryver's Syndrome manages to maintain the euphoria of the initial stages of the disease almost uninterruptedly into the later stages. A DeSchryver case will also obsess in searching for the timeshare that is the ultimate combination of low cost and high exchange power, and will buy, sell and test timeshares continuously in pursuit of that goal. The DeSchryver also uses the excitement associated with that pursuit to amplify the other pleasurable aspects of the timesharing infection.

There is no known cure for a timeshare infection; nor is there any reason to try to cure the infection since it actually is beneficial. In addition to the pleasurable symptoms described above, many of the victims report lowered stress, happier family life, and increased mental stimulation due to the infection. The only recommended treatment is frequent interaction with a support group comprised of other infected individuals. The TUG remedy has been documented to be the most effective mode of treatment.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I must have cuaght that same bug!

I think it has to something to do with travel, adventure and finding "that" deal" that you convience yourself is worth the money.

I got my first case of the timeshare bug 6 years ago. I try to keep it in check, but keeps flaring up. It seems particularly aggrevated when I am on an actual vaction. I just seem to crave more!

And beware, its infectious. My wife seemed immune from it for years. But once we went to Arizona, she caught it. And I must add in a bad way. I wanted to "look" at a one bedroom unit....she went right for the 2 bedroom l/o. And now we have trips planned for the next 6 years! Someone stop her!

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I confess I am a timeshare junkie!! We own 10 and I keep checking ebay for that next great deal. We are retired and working on trying to use as many as possible, plus give a week or two away to children. The SFX Bonus Weeks (probably won't use the Mexico week this year) and II AC, RCI one plus one (have two, but not sure if I will use them or not), and rentals will increase the number to 15+. Maybe we should start up a chapter of TSA - Timesharing Anonymous.

Reaction score
Become Popular

ArtsieAng said:
Hahaha, well, I'm glad to see that I am not alone. Thank you all for your input. I'm wondering what people with more timeshares than vacation time do with the ones they can't use?

Thanks.... :)

I only have 1 TS so far but am buying another. Out of the 1, I get 4 or 5 weeks a year by using the points and the 45 day window feature through RCI. I am in the process of buying another. When I finalize the purchase of another 91,000 points I figure I'll have all I need and certainly MORE than my wife and I will every use.

Fortunately I have 3 grown children and a bunch of grandkids. They all have my RCI password and have been told, "Watch the RCI 45 day window" They do and if they find something they can take off and use, they're gone. It has made Grandpa & Grandma very popular with the grandkids because they get to go to a lot of different places every summer or school break. I've also got a couple of retired friends that I have included in the same deal and it is amazing how popular we have become.

I guess maybe I'm crazy but I get as much enjoyment from watching my kids enjoy a trip as I do going myself. Especially since I know that without 'free' lodging, they couldn't afford to go. My middle son has 5 kids and it costs a fortune to feed them, let alone lodge them. Timeshares can bring a lot of enjoyment and it isn't always just from using them yourself. By the way, there is no way to beat the TS bug. Good luck.

Mike S.

J

JoeMid

Mine is in remission, I've sold more of mine in the past two years than I've bought.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm addicted, too. I'm in the middle of buying number six, and I have number seven all picked out. And my husband gets about two weeks of vacation a year.

I have a couple of mine up for sale, but I haven't tried very hard to sell them (yet). I also have rented some out in the past. Several of my weeks get deposited into Points, so if I can't use them for resorts, I can at least buy Disney tickets or something with them. None of my weeks have expired yet, but then, I only bought my first timeshare in 2004.

I just love finding a good timeshare deal to buy! I am seriously thinking about trying to buy & sell timeshares as a business.

ArtsieAng

TUG Member
Reaction score
riverdees05.....thinks we should open a chapter for timeshare annonymous. Hahaha, I think I agree with them. I am only involved a short time and already own four.....looking for five.

So far, all my timeshares are listed with Interval International. I do have an option on two of them to list with RCI instead. Is that something I should be doing? I am really not that familiar with RCI. Does anyone know the difference between the two? Should I be putting at least one of them in RCI?

Thanks

ArtsieAng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh my God...that is so funny, thanks for posting it. I think I will take your advice and use the only known treatment....the TUG treatment.

funtime

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Harder to sell that to buy

While I am buying and selling, I just think of it as tweaking and retweaking my portfolio. Since it is harder to sell than to buy, I suggest the following to curb the addiction (but note it is not a cure!!):

1. Go cold turnkey on ebay -- I am not willing to do this;
2. Resist deals in places you really would not go to -- I have purchased several timeshares last year for 1000 or less and several for 200 or less including closing costs. I then had to turn around and sell when the clear light of day hit. I sold on bidhsares and some back on ebay and usually did not lose any money but it was a hassle;
3. Resist buying timeshares you do not want because they come with a free week or two banked weeks etc. At the end of the day, the timeshare remains after the banked weeks are transferred to your account;
4. Resist the deep blue weeks such as winter at any beach in Myrtle Beach or north of Myrtle Beach or "mud weeks" in Colorado such as last week in April or first week in May - while this may be common cents, seeing a timeshare for 100 or $1.25 is hard to resist;
5. If you want to use a timeshare as a trader, resist buying more than you need. For example, a summer unit in Sandstone Creek in Vail trades like a tiger. We used to have two two bedrooms there but the mfg were too high to make trading work so we sold those and now have two one bedroom late summer weeks that work well;
6. Some timeshares that we sold after less than a year included Tahoe Seasons in Tahoe, La Casa Boca in Boca Raton, The Roark in Branson, an older timeshare in Palm Springs, the Hacienda del Mar in Cabo, Powhattan in Williamsburg and Sandstone Creek two bedroom units. Others might denigrate these resorts as ones that I should not have bought in the first place but each has something going for it which is why I bought it. However, I have too many timeshares so they really had to go. I will say, however, that we found others happy with the purchase of each so it all worked out. In fact, we have turned others on to timesharing by the purchase of these weeks and they may be joining TUG!
7. Check out with which group a timeshare trades with. For example, I bought Powhattan because I assumed it trades with II but it does not;
8. Now, I try only to buy a timeshare if I can think of one that I am willing to part with -- that is hard to do as each one in my portfolio has its appeal.
9. Try not to violate Rule No 8 which I do frequently;
10. Recognize that these few months are the absolute best to buy on ebay as prices are higher as June comes around;
11. Lastly, I commend bidshares for those that want to sell a timeshare priced at 1,500 or less -- preferably 1,000 or less. I have sold several last year.

It is all a learning experience and recognize it as such! And, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and buys like a duck it may be a timeshare addict! ;)

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL, I LOVE this site! So happy to hear of others who have fallen victim to this exciting disease! I found that "Timeshare Bug" story (above) last month and printed it out for my husband to read. It explained my infection much better than I ever could! It also helped me talk him into buying another!!! :)
Happy Trails!
3 timeshares and "trying" to hold.

ArtsieAng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fun Time

Thanks for all the advice....I think your dead on about the prices being the lowest this time of year. I have been watching the prices on Ebay for a couple of months now and I can't believe how low they have gone. Hence, my most recent purchase. People are still paying off their holiday charge bills, while pulling together money for their winter vacation. February must be the best month to buy.

It is taking every once of control not to purchase at least one more on ebay. However, I think I need to know a little bit more about this industry before I do.

Thanks again,
Angela

Last edited:

ArtsieAng

TUG Member
Reaction score
sandesurf

I noticed that like me, you own Marriotts. If you don't mind me asking, I was wondering if you purchased directly from Marriott. I did, and am wondering if the point option was worth it?

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
ArtsieAng said:
sandesurf

I noticed that like me, you own Marriotts. If you don't mind me asking, I was wondering if you purchased directly from Marriott. I did, and am wondering if the point option was worth it?

Angela,
We purchased our very first timeshare through Marriott in 1995 (DSV2). The MMO is actually still in the closeing stages. We're buying though a privite party (resale).
As far as points go I guess it would depend. Not that we'll be able to get points for our MMO (resale) but it would be foolish to trade it for the points as it would be worth so much more to trade or even rent out ourselves. On the otherhand... We have traded in our DSV2 twice, for points, and have felt very fortunate to get into Hawaii two times with those points, at MMO and Ko'Olina!! After reading about point use on TUG I guess we were not only lucky to get the trade but also lucky Marriott let us use those points to get into other Vacation Club locations! I had no idea this was not allowed. So, we'll just feel happy it worked for us twice but don't want to push our luck again.
So, are the points worth it? IMO, I'm glad we have/had them but I would never buy from the developer again, when you can save thousands of dollars in resale.

ArtsieAng

TUG Member
Reaction score
sandesurf said:
Angela,
We purchased our very first timeshare through Marriott in 1995 (DSV2). The MMO is actually still in the closeing stages. We're buying though a privite party (resale).
As far as points go I guess it would depend. Not that we'll be able to get points for our MMO (resale) but it would be foolish to trade it for the points as it would be worth so much more to trade or even rent out ourselves. On the otherhand... We have traded in our DSV2 twice, for points, and have felt very fortunate to get into Hawaii two times with those points, at MMO and Ko'Olina!! After reading about point use on TUG I guess we were not only lucky to get the trade but also lucky Marriott let us use those points to get into other Vacation Club locations! I had no idea this was not allowed. So, we'll just feel happy it worked for us twice but don't want to push our luck again.
So, are the points worth it? IMO, I'm glad we have/had them but I would never buy from the developer again, when you can save thousands of dollars in resale.
Sandesurf

Actually, you are able to use the points to obtain Marriott Vacation Club. Below is the point chart for your information.

MARRIOTT VACATION CLUB

Marriott Vacation Club — Enjoy your next vacation at a Marriott Vacation Club resort. For a list of participating locations, click on "Reward details".
Reward Points Code
3 nights in a deluxe guest room 50,000 397 Reward details
4 nights in a deluxe guest room 65,000 1395 Reward details
5 nights in a deluxe guest room 75,000 398 Reward details
6 nights in a deluxe guest room 90,000 1396 Reward details
7 nights in a deluxe guest room 100,000 399 Reward details
3 nights in a 1 bedroom villa 75,000 394 Reward details
4 nights in a 1 bedroom villa 90,000 1393 Reward details
5 nights in a 1 bedroom villa 100,000 395 Reward details
6 nights in a 1 bedroom villa 115,000 1394 Reward details
7 nights in a 1 bedroom villa 125,000 396 Reward details
3 nights in a 2 bedroom villa 100,000 391 Reward details
4 nights in a 2 bedroom villa 115,000 1391 Reward details
5 nights in a 2 bedroom villa 125,000 392 Reward details
6 nights in a 2 bedroom villa 140,000 1392 Reward details
7 nights in a 2 bedroom villa 150,000 393 Reward details

You can go to the Marriott Rewards Site for more information.

http://marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/hotelrew.mi

I tend to agree with you. We really paid top dollar for our Marriotts. We would love to own one in California or Hawaii. If we decide at some point to purchase another, it will most likely be a resale.

sandesurf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Angela,
I know, I've used this very site, but even in the "Shared Times" newletter that came out this month it states: Points earned through giving up your week cannot be used towards Marriott Vacation Clubs! (Something to that effect) News to me too! The first place I read about it was here, on TUG. Still, we have done it, so... ?? (We also have points from Marriott Visa usage so maybe if you have both they don't notice?) Anyway, I know you'll enjoy the heck out of your timeshares. Don't worry about it. But next time, BUY RESALE! :)
Elena

ArtsieAng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Elena,

"Points earned through giving up your week cannot be used towards Marriott Vacation Clubs!"

Oh, that's a shame...... :mad: I didn't realize that. See, when your new to timeshares, it takes a while to really understand the system.

Funny thing is, recently we went to a sales presentation in HH by Marriott, and when I asked about points, the saleperson never made that clear. Hahaha, at least we didn't buy that time.

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. And your right, Next time, I WILL BUY RESALE!!!!

Angela

caribbeansun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not unlike buying wine by the case to cellar for later consumption but you can't bring yourself to actually pulling the cork several years later :(

AwayWeGo said:
Even though I only have 84,000 points in my account, I am semi-concerned that I won't be able to use'm all up before they expire. That's because I go for Instant Exchange & Last Call whenever I can, using minimal points.