• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My sound doesn't work on my computer

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had an electrical storm and wonder if that's the cause. What should I check? When I pull the plug out of the CPU there is a sound as the metal tip touches metal. But my speakers won't play.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Gosh, no one has any ideas?! I updated the driver for the sound card but that didn't help.

K&PFitz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have any ideas other than the "insult your intelligence" kind you get from tech support. Like:
Turn the computer off, wait and turn it on again. (That's always the first suggestion they give you.)
Is the sound muted?
Go into device manager and see if the sound card has been disabled. Device manager should tell you if the sound card is working properly.

None of this will help, but it will keep you distracted until someone smarter replies.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's possible the storm blew out the sound card.

Do you have an earphone jack for the cd drive? You might plug the speakers in the jack for a second and see if they work there. (provided it fits.)

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't have any ideas other than the "insult your intelligence" kind you get from tech support. Like:
Turn the computer off, wait and turn it on again. (That's always the first suggestion they give you.)
Is the sound muted?
Go into device manager and see if the sound card has been disabled. Device manager should tell you if the sound card is working properly.

None of this will help, but it will keep you distracted until someone smarter replies.

Good luck.

I'm going to take it a step further. If you look down at the bottom of your screen, is there a lind through what looks like a small speaker? If so, double-click on it and uncheck the "mute" box(es).

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nothings muted. All systems are open for sound. I'll try the other suggestions. Thanks!

Numismatist

TUG Member
Reaction score
Differential diagnosis: Plug the speakers into someone else's computer and see if they work there. If so, it's your sound card, if not, it's your speakers.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's possible the storm blew out the sound card.

Do you have an earphone jack for the cd drive? You might plug the speakers in the jack for a second and see if they work there. (provided it fits.)

I tried this, thanks for the suggestion. I have Dave Matthews singing to me through my headphones via the headphone port by the CD on the tower. Then I plugged the headphones into the speaker port on the back of the computer and Nada, nothing. The male metal tip of the wire from the speaker makes a sound when it touches something like the computer, the floor.

Now what?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The first thing to do is uninstall the sound card driver. Then with the computer off and unplugged, reseat the sound card. (wiggle it out then back in.) Plug in and turn on the computer. It SHOULD recognize 'new equipment' (the sound card) and go about installing the driver. If this works you are good to go. If it doesn't recognize the sound card see below.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the sound card crapped out because it's unlikely that both speakers went bad simultaneously. If there was a lightening storm your 'puter was affected, and it just took out the sound card, consider yourself fortunate.

Unless you want to go super high end, sound cards aren't expensive and it's an easy DIY fix. I saw them online for $16 to hundred$. Or from +-$20 at BestBuy or WalMart.

Good luck!

Jim

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
My Toshiba laptop did the same thing about 8 months ago. One day no sound. Speaker jacks would not work either.
I bought a usb headset and can hear through it just fine and in reality I use a head set to listen to music anyway.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The first thing to do is uninstall the sound card driver. Then with the computer off and unplugged, reseat the sound card. (wiggle it out then back in.) Plug in and turn on the computer. It SHOULD recognize 'new equipment' (the sound card) and go about installing the driver. If this works you are good to go. If it doesn't recognize the sound card see below.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the sound card crapped out because it's unlikely that both speakers went bad simultaneously. If there was a lightening storm your 'puter was affected, and it just took out the sound card, consider yourself fortunate.
This assumes the OP's computer actually has a sound card. Most basic computers sold in the last several years have the sound chip / ports integrated on the motherboard. Usually only the higher-end computers have separate sound cards.

But the OP could install a new sound card even if the integrated sound is toast, so that might be an option.

Kurt

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a sound card. Worked fine until the electrical storm that blew out the router too, but got that fixed first as more critical. I can live without sound, most days. Computer is an Asus using Windows 7. If the sound card were bad, would I be able to hear sound through the head set? My guess is the sound card would have to work to hear sound anywhere. So maybe the speakers blew?

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score

Unless you want to go super high end, sound cards aren't expensive and it's an easy DIY fix. I saw them online for $16 to hundred$. Or from +-$20 at BestBuy or WalMart.

Good luck!

Jim

So take a look at my last post and please tell me if my logic is correct, or not before I take my 'puter apart. Thanks,

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
There is a sound card. Worked fine until the electrical storm that blew out the router too, but got that fixed first as more critical. I can live without sound, most days. Computer is an Asus using Windows 7. If the sound card were bad, would I be able to hear sound through the head set? My guess is the sound card would have to work to hear sound anywhere. So maybe the speakers blew?
Not necessarily. You stated in an earlier post that hooking your headphones up to the speaker port in the back produced nothing. That would indicate the port is possibly bad.

But you could listen to sound through the front headphone port, right? Try plugging in your speakers to the front headphone port and see if they still work.

But it sounds like at minimum the speaker port of the sound card was fried. Most likely time to get a new sound card.

Kurt

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I have a laptop with a builtin monitor that does not work. External monitor hookup works fine.

Want to trade. :hysterical:

I think I would rather have picture not sound for 85% of work that I do on the computer. The 15% is my time.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
If you have a sound card, and a spare PCI slot, try plugging the sound card into a different slot. If you haven't worked with computers before, the challenge will be to get the cover off the PC. If you can get the cover off, moving the sound card to a different slot should be easy.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. You stated in an earlier post that hooking your headphones up to the speaker port in the back produced nothing. That would indicate the port is possibly bad.

But you could listen to sound through the front headphone port, right? Try plugging in your speakers to the front headphone port and see if they still work.

But it sounds like at minimum the speaker port of the sound card was fried. Most likely time to get a new sound card.

Kurt

Kurt!!! It worked!!! :cheer: I put the speaker wire into the front headphone port and voila!! So does that mean the speaker port is bad? Now what? At least I can listen to whatever on my 'puter! THANKS everyone for jumping in. So do I need a new speaker port? Is this a trip to Staples tech center? Or can I do this myself? I've taken covers off computers, added more ram but that was several computers ago. I'm not afraid to "get my hands dirty".

Pit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to the manufacturers web site and search/download the diagnostic software for your PC. You can usually troubleshoot hardware failures with the manufacturers diagnostic software.

Htoo0

TUG Member
Reaction score
Powered off and with the side cover removed there should be one little screw securing the card. Remove it, rock the card out of the slot and install the new one. It may have an installation disk with a driver although your OS may take care of it for you. Either way it shouldn't be too difficult. BTW, there are several videos on Youtube (some better than others no doubt) which may help.

Last edited: