• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Social Security increase

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Everyone else sure did though.
Not everyone. You really need to do some fact checking before you post. When I was working if it had just been me, my healthcare would have been covered. Since I also covered my husband and children, I paid a small premium. The coverage continued when I retired.

geekette

Reaction score
Nope. I know plenty of people whose employers paid their insurance premiums. Auto workers, corp types, small businesses. It happens.

I never had paid insurance, although as an employee, my employer paid much more of the premium than I did. Good thing, as there is no way I could afford a home mortgage and a similar monthly amount for health ins.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

From 1982-1994 my employer paid 100% of the cost of my health insurance including dental and vision and provided life insurance equal to 1 year's salary. I was able to add family health coverage for $50/month. It wasn't until 1995 that the employees were asked to share in the cost of their insurance.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Everyone else paid for her health insurance.

Reactions: Tia

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Please supply data to back up this claim.
She stated she was a teacher in public education. I assume this is what am1 is talking about (I could be wrong, though). But really, doesn't everyone's salary/benefits get paid by "everyone"? My salary is paid via customers that buy my company's products, for example -- how is that fundamentally different than her teacher's salary being paid by taxpayers? I think am1 is just trying to stir the pot...

Kurt

geekette

Reaction score
She stated she was a teacher in public education. I assume this is what am1 is talking about (I could be wrong, though). But really, doesn't everyone's salary/benefits get paid by "everyone"? My salary is paid via customers that buy my company's products, for example -- how is that fundamentally different than her teacher's salary being paid by taxpayers? I think am1 is just trying to stir the pot...

Kurt
Yes. My employer picking up the big portion of my insurance means the employer paid it (instead of raising my salary and putting me on my own for insurance). As I worked for successful companies, I am with you on customers indirectly paid it for me. Given that not everyone is a customer for every company, it is not accurate to say that Everyone paid my insurance.

agree on stirring.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
20 years ago when I ran a big bank we provided all employees with free Medical and Dental. I also combined vacation days, sick days and personal days off into one big blob. The only limitation when to use them was that the employee had to get his/her Supervisor's permission which was almost never denied. Today, 20 years later they are back to separate buckets with separate rules for each of these 3 benefits. In addition they have not only reduced Health and Dental benefits substantially but make the employee foot the bill for almost half the cost. I had a happy loyal workforce. My employees willingly accepted salaries at the low end of market. I have no idea what it is like today...

George

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
20 years ago when I ran a big bank we provided all employees with free Medical and Dental. I also combined vacation days, sick days and personal days off into one big blob. The only limitation when to use them was that the employee had to get his/her Supervisor's permission which was almost never denied. Today, 20 years later they are back to separate buckets with separate rules for each of these 3 benefits. In addition they have not only reduced Health and Dental benefits substantially but make the employee foot the bill for almost half the cost. I had a happy loyal workforce. My employees willingly accepted salaries at the low end of market. I have no idea what it is like today...

George
My employer only subsidizes medical insurance for the employee. For many of my co workers, no big deal - -their spouses and kids get their benefits through the spouse's employer. For a single mom like me, I don't have that option. I procure my daughter's medical insurance outside of my employer and foot the entire bill.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
My employer only subsidizes medical insurance for the employee. For many of my co workers, no big deal - -their spouses and kids get their benefits through the spouse's employer. For a single mom like me, I don't have that option. I procure my daughter's medical insurance outside of my employer and foot the entire bill.

All this leads to every country should strive for universal health care at least at a basic level.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
She said she never paid for it so that means some else did. Taxpayers.
You really should do some research, although I know it's much easier to just spout off your beliefs. How do you know, or what reference can you cite to show taxpayers are paying for teacher benefits?

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
While employed, my employer (State of Florida), i.e. taxpayers, paid all but $30 for my family
But that benefit was because my position was "management," or so they said.

When I retired, the subsidy stopped. My premium went from $30 to $780/month.
"Welcome to your retirement." -- I paid off a mortgage to help with the cash-flow.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
As someone who was self-employed for 40+ years and paid as much as $3,300/month for mediocre, high deductible medical insurance (no dental; no vision) for a family of four with no pre-existing medical conditions, I find this discussion "interesting". The vast majority of employees receiving employer-subsidized health insurance have no concept of the after-tax value of this benefit (or the cost to their employer).

Medicare is better, even with a very high Part B payment. It should be available to all.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
As someone who was self-employed for 40+ years and paid as much as $3,300/month for mediocre, high deductible medical insurance (no dental; no vision) for a family of four with no pre-existing medical conditions, I find this discussion "interesting". The vast majority of employees receiving employer-subsidized health insurance have no concept of the after-tax value of this benefit (or the cost to their employer).
Agree. I have been shaking my head at all these people here complaining about a $150/mo premium and a $200 deductible. They don't know how good they have it!

Kurt

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I'm glad I'm on Medicare.

Me too. I've been self-employed for more than 30 years and didn't have health insurance all the time due to the cost. When I did have it, it didn't cover much, including doctors' visits. The cost of buying insurance on your own is astronomical.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
At the end of the day, we consumers ... and we are all consumers ... pay for everything, because we're at the bottom of the food chain. If anyone thinks teachers' benefits are "free" ... they're not, they're paid by taxpayers. If anyone thinks the benefits they get from their employer are "free," they're not ... you either got a lower salary, or the cost has been passed on in the cost of the employer's products or services.

This isn't bad, unless it's abused, but should just remind us that economics is a zero-sum arrangement (well, except for sovereign creation of money, and even THAT would be included if they intended ever to pay it off). It's why people support Single Payer health care ... because in the long run, consumers pay, and reducing the number of middlemen and profiteers should reduce the costs.

ccwu

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to find the price difference of Medicare supplement plan between Texas and NY thru AARP. I was trying to get a quote for a deaf friend moved to NY from Texas. I got the quote of plan A was $545, plan K was 146. And spend 10 minutes on the phone for medical questionnaires. And when the agent ask me the mailing address, I gave her the NY address. She said NY has different law, forget about the medical questionnaires (the insurance has to cover pre existing condition, so there is no questionnaires). The rate for Plan A dropped to $145 and plan K dropped to $67.

Now I know our state income tax and local property tax is covering the difference. Guess the taxes is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
When we recently moved from CA to IN, our AARP Plan N dropped about 22%. We had the cheapest Humana drug coverage at $17, which they don't offer in IN, so we replaced that with Aetna for ... $7.40. Car insurance is about 25% cheaper too.