• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Realtor Interviews and Fear of Selling Our Home

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Ac will come through the floors if that is where the heat comes. Not sure how else it would work if using forced air. Basement would be in the ceiling.

Real estate will say what they will to get a sale. Not too much different then timeshare sales people.
Most realtors are honest and hard working. From my experience in the field only a few are bad. Unfortunately those few make many have a bad reputation.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Everything picked out for the new house kitchen. Have to write out big checks when we get home from vacation as builder requires all upgrade money upfront. Ugh...After this, just a few more for some electrical things, backsplash and carpet padding.

Meanwhile at home- a road block. Evidently a violation notice waiting for us regarding no permit for the whole house generator and also the town did not have 3 full baths on record- only 2 1/2 baths!

Can you believe our town looks over all real estate listings every month and compares them with their files?

When our home was being built 32 years ago, the builder was originally going to put a washer and dryer where the bathtub is in the downstairs bathroom. Instead- he changed it to the hallway and put the tub in instead. He never made the changes with the town. Amazing how he got the CO!

Meanwhile- how can we prove this? We can't, but it is the truth.

As for the generator- we just assumed the company that installed it handled that stuff. It was many years ago.

Also the town said we advertised 3 bedrooms and they have 2 recorded- but not a violation. I explained we do have 2 bedrooms but advertised 3 because the dormer can be made into 2 and also the study could be made into a bedroom. She said if our buyers want to make one of the rooms a bedroom they have to get a permit. Yeah- ok...

So now we have to send the notice to our atty when we get back, he said our town is the absolute worse to deal with! We will probably have to apply for permits and go from there. SMH....Money grab....

So now one more thing to add to my overload and stress. Our town will not allow realtors to handle this kind of thing- the owner has to handle it. Makes me mad. When we had similar issues with my parent's home after they passed in another county- the realtor handled it all for us. Why does everything have to be so darn hard?

Tomorrow- the buyers bank does the appraisal. Hoping it goes smoothly.

I have so much on my plate for next week, since I don't sleep well now anyway, I know I will get absolutely none next week.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So I doubled checked the wording in our home's listing and no where in the description does it even mention we have a whole house generator (which I am, frankly, surprised at. Never noticed it). So then- how does the town know that? Hmmmm.....

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I doubled checked the wording in our home's listing and no where in the description does it even mention we have a whole house generator (which I am, frankly, surprised at. Never noticed it). So then- how does the town know that? Hmmmm.....
I feel it is really bothersome that the town is into what you do in your own home.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel it is really bothersome that the town is into what you do in your own home.

If that’s their policy. For safety, density or taxes most likely.

The house may be assessed at a higher tax rate.

I mostly try to do what we want with out permits as the fine is less then the trouble of getting the permits. If a fine is even issued.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My guess is the inspector went to the township to see if things were permitted that were supposed to be permitted.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Attys office called. Turns out it was the title company.

On another note- Appraisal was done yesterday. Realtor said he said it is fine. Report will be in next week.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably triggered by title company for the closing.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Yay!! :cheer:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Framing has started! I am so happy!:banana:

View attachment 13699
I am so happy for you. The stars are aligned, you decided to go with on vacation as it worked out, the house is progressing and almost all the issues have been dealt with. A great day.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Small victories add up. :)

Dave

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
That’s great! So what is the move-out, move-in, plan now?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mary Ann -- When I built my home I was doing it like you -- monitoring it from a distance , only seeing progress very periodically when I was in the area. One of the most thrilling days was when I drove by and saw lights on inside the house. I wasn't expecting to see that but for some reason it just made me feel like "wow -- I'm going to live here soon!".

Keep your eye on the prize!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
That’s great! So what is the move-out, move-in, plan now?

Well- we are going away in another week- just for a week. Hopefully the CO's for our current house will be issued by the time we come back-or maybe even just before we leave.

When we get back from our trip, we will have 2 weeks until the 9/30 closing date on our current home unless something changes. We can finish packing up and then have to make a lot of phone calls to disconnect and reconnect services, mail forwarding and so forth.

We don't have concrete plans yet for moving out of this house and moving into the rental house in NY. It is going to be tricky. Maybe the buyers will move out of their house the morning before the closing and put their stuff in storage and stay with relatives as per their suggestion.

Then we would move into their house that afternoon (the moving company coming to our home that morning to load up the truck). I am having the moving company come back out to our house to do a re-estimate and discuss some things.

But we have some issues to deal with - like we have lots of boxes of liquids the movers will not take- like toiletries, cleaning stuff and groceries (like sauces and olive oil, etc,). Plus we want to keep our financial files and safe contents with us in our cars, plus my husband's hunting stuff, etc. Not enough room in our cars for it all. Not to mention the boxes are heavy.

It would be different if we had a few days to move- we could just drive back and forth over the course of the few days. But doing all this in one day with driving back and forth is too much for us. Plus then having the closing the very next day! We are not 30 years old!

We also tossed around the idea of getting a UHAUL van to take this stuff to the rental house. Maybe the movers would load it and unload it if my husband drives it.....Just some ideas.

As for the NH home- well- we don't know when it will be finished. Was supposed to be 11/1. I don't see that happening as it had a late start. Maybe at some point after the first of the year. My husband does not retire until the end of the year anyway. And our rental lease commitment will be for 8 months essentially once we move in. Though if our NH house is ready after the 1st of the year, once we close we will start to move up there. We will take a big hit on the rent unless the owners can get another tenant in there fast.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mary Ann -- When I built my home I was doing it like you -- monitoring it from a distance , only seeing progress very periodically when I was in the area. One of the most thrilling days was when I drove by and saw lights on inside the house. I wasn't expecting to see that but for some reason it just made me feel like "wow -- I'm going to live here soon!".

Keep your eye on the prize!

Thanks. I was literally crying when the realtor sent me the photo. I really needed to see this at this point as I am surrounded by boxes and spending my days packing, packing, packing and feeling emotional about our current home and the fact that we have to move to a rental house first. A lot on our plates- overwhelmed- and it has been weighing heavily on me and my husband.

I felt today just as you did when you saw those lights on in your home! Now I can carry on!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I finally had some time to catch up with your thread since I have been going through my big move at the same time.

Things are moving along well. Seems like a lot when you have to live through it everyday. There is light at the end of that tunnel and a lot of the big important things are done now. :thumbup:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ah! My memory may be waning on this thread, but I’m thinking that the buyers agreed to the later closing, or the CO held it up. Happy you worked it out and can go on your trip and have a little more time. My first thought reading your recent post was that you could ask the movers to load the items you must take and then read on to see you had thought of it too. We’ve found movers more willing to help us with the little extras if offer them food and drink during the process. We also tip each worker upon completion. A rental van is a good idea. However, you would still have to return to pick up the additional car, assuming you have two. Is your son able to come help you? Hoping you don’t have to unpack much at rental as your final house seems to be moving along though a lot can still happen to stall that. Enjoy your vacation!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Ah! My memory may be waning on this thread, but I’m thinking that the buyers agreed to the later closing, or the CO held it up. Happy you worked it out and can go on your trip and have a little more time. My first thought reading your recent post was that you could ask the movers to load the items you must take and then read on to see you had thought of it too. We’ve found movers more willing to help us with the little extras if offer them food and drink during the process. We also tip each worker upon completion. A rental van is a good idea. However, you would still have to return to pick up the additional car, assuming you have two. Is your son able to come help you? Hoping you don’t have to unpack much at rental as your final house seems to be moving along though a lot can still happen to stall that. Enjoy your vacation!

Getting a rental van is a big hassle for us- yes. First -I would have to drive my husband a half hour away just to pick it up and then we both return home to get the stuff loaded into it. Probably the night before the move really would be best- unless the moving company would load it for us the next day when they are here. Then-moving day-we would also have to leave a car at our current home- after dealing with the movers here all day!- in order to bring everything to the rental in the van- another half hour away. I would take my car there at the same time as well. Then- later- when all is unloaded and the movers leave the rental home-my husband (in the van) and I (in the car) would have to drive a half hour away to bring back the rental van and then drive another half hour to to get the other car still at our current home- another half hour away from the rental company. And then - we both would have to drive the half hour back to the rental home. And this is all dependent on how long everything takes and the times the rental place is opened and closes. I really don't see how we can handle it.

After all is said and done- probably just best for one of us- husband- since boxes are heavy to go back and forth with stuff in the car while the movers are finishing up at the current house. Meanwhile- his back hurts....

Our son could come down maybe- I don't know with his jobs and all- problem is- no where for him to sleep! No bed no sleeping bags nothing. I suppose maybe we could pay for him to be in a hotel- again- closest one is- you got it- a half hour away. LOL!

But then- even if he could take off from work-it is a 6 hour trip for him. Would need a hotel for several days. More money. Just to move under 20 miles away and we already have to pay big bucks to the movers. (not to mention the second move we will have upcoming). I don't know....everything is a problem...

I know he did want to come down to say goodbye to the house.

Now do you see why things are not as easy as they seem?

Our plan is not to unpack everything at the rental- but still will have to unpack some things, like clothes and food, some toiletries and pots and pans. I would even leave some of those in boxes- but there is no room in the main house to keep boxes and I don't want to have to go downstairs in the basement area every time I need a pot or whatever.

Right now we are mainly living out of boxes but with a big house I have them all spread out on one floor for eay access. Still a big pain in the rear....

Meanwhile- through UPS Informed Delivery- I see we have a letter from our town and I can see a little through the envelope the word "Certificate". Hoping the CO's were already issued and can put that whole thing behind us.

To be continued....

Last edited:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does your son have any friends still in your area who might want to earn a little money for part of a day’s work?

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Does your son have any friends still in your area who might want to earn a little money for part of a day’s work?

LOL! No. He has essentially been gone from here since 2006! I could always go on the local Facebook page, though, to see if anyone is interested in helping us out.

Hubby and I were talking tonight and thinking maybe I will just have to stay with the movers and he will have to make multiple trips back and forth to the rental house that same day- unless maybe the buyers (of our house) will let us bring some stuff a head of time- providing they have the room.

Sigh....

Another positive update- we received the CO's in the mail today from the town for our current house! That was super fast!

And- the trusses are up on our new house!

Things are progressing nicely!
69239876_10218423421769932_2189392955326857216_n.jpg